Restringing problem

Normagal

Reaction score
Ok, gang, I'm stuck. I finally got around to restringing the older Kiwaya Famous that a friend gave me. It has a standard bridge. All was fine until I got to the A string. When I get close to getting it in tune, it snaps out of the bridge. This has happened about 4 times. I tied a bigger knot thinking that is the problem, but that didn't help. Any ideas?
Do you think something is wrong with the bridge?
We are going to try making the knot larger yet-you can see on the bridge where the wood has spread away a bit-either this was already a problem, or it happened when the string pulled away.
Hope this all makes sense.

Last edited:
I think we've got it. Hubby tied a bigger knot, and I've been able to tune it properly and it is staying on. The tuning seems to be all over the place, and I know this is normal when you restring, but it didn't seem to stay tuned before either. Hopefully that will get better in time.

Thanks for responding, Itsme.

I hope you can forgive my typos. Between my mistakes, and auto correct, I make a lot of them:(

Ok, it's staying strung, but it sounds bad. When I play each string to tune it, it sounds fine. But when I play chords,...not so good.
Any ideas? Mind you, it's old. It's a little sunk in below the soundboard...maybe this is as good as it can sound. I put Martin strings on it, someone here had suggested that.

How did you tie the knot? I think pictures will help a lot of people to help you.

Yes new uke stringers may tighten the uke over to the next octave....and since the A string is the thinnest it snaps...of course check if you have any sharp saddles..which I doubt..
as for tuning the martin or any strings, they take time to break in....and will go out of tune for a few days....what I do is tune each string from the g to a, then bend the string from
side to side 3-4 times, and retune...do that process 3-4 times every time your pick up your uke for the first 2-3 days...or until your string stablizes..and stops stretching...Good luck and Happy Strummings

Last edited:
I don't think its tuned to the next octave, as it sounds like my other uke,which I believe is tuned properly. I don't get why the strings sound ok when I play them individually, but it sounds bad when I make chords.

Aloha Norma,
Did it sound that way before the string change...I think you need a set up done to get the intonation right...hope it helps...
Have it checked out by a luthier, to see if you can get it fixed...Always buy from a reputable uke store which gives free setups...Like
HMS>> you spend more but in the long run you save... sets up can be costly afterwards and you cut down the risk of getting a lemon
you may have voided your warranty if you changed your strings and the uke is new....slap on the original strings and take it back and
let them check it out..Good Luck

Last edited:
Yes, it sounded bad before. I was hoping new strings would help.
I don't think it's an expensive uke, and it was unexpectedly given to me, so I don't think I am spending much to fix it. I did take it to the local music store,and they told me it was fine. Not that I know that they really knew...

BTW, mm Stan, Hawaii sounds like a great place to be! I'm jealous! Even though its not been a bad winter so far, I am tired of it.

Aloha Norma,
I have a 24.95 rogue..which sounded bad and I did a set up and it is my favorite uke now....believe me it can be fixed but may cost more than the uke itself
PM me the brand... yes I know what you mean about the mid west cold weather....I used to live in the mainland when I was in my 20's...long long ago...
Do you know Canoe Lady, she lives in Wisconsin too... maybe if you both are close you can meet....she loves to play her uke and all with friends..
well maybe not in the winter...but she loves to play around the campfire...PM her if you have time....Happy Strummings..
Yes I am grateful to move back home....too old to handle cold weather anymore...I hope you visit here one day...picture card perfect weather...oh but so expensive to
live here or visit...there's good and the bad...LOL:)

Top Bottom