sound

wactechnique

Reaction score
hey guys i recently got my pono pkce w a pickup. it didnt have the sound i expected.
it doesnt resonate as much as i wanted. i was wondering if its because its a koa LAMINATE. i thought it was the gold strings but i switched it up to aquilas, the sound improved slightly but not much of a change. any ideas.
thanks fellas

The Ponos are not known to have booming sound, infact some have criticized the Ponos for being on the quieter side. I have a Pono Tenor, rosewood with cedar top. These are the newer models with lightened bracing. I didn't expect much, but am very happy with the clarity of the notes and know that as the solid cedar top breaks in, the sound will get better.

I haven't played the Ponos with laminate tops, perhaps others who have can chime in and give their opinions.

If you are looking for a more resonant sounding uke, some folks like the Koalohas for that type of sound. The Kanileas are pretty responsive instruments too. But of course, these ukes probably cost a big more than what you spent on the Pono with laminate top.

As for strings, as so many have mentioned, their sound varies on the uke and the preference of the player. Strings can do only so much however. As I've stated before, I like the Savarez Alliance classical guitar strings for clarity, volume, and sustain, along with durability. Perhaps give them a try, but again, don't expect miracles, there is often a reason why a koa uke may cost less than $300, perhaps it's the laminate wood that is limiting the sound.

Hope you find a sollution, even if the sollution is selling this uke and finding an uke that has the sound you are looking for. Good luck in your search!

it doesnt resonate as much as i wanted. . . i thought it was the gold strings but i switched it up to aquilas, the sound improved slightly but not much of a change. any ideas.
thanks fellas

Softwood tops will resonate more than Hardwood tops, generally (coupled with a proper box, of course).

I agree with Laron, change the strings. You're improvement in sound with Aquila is usually referred to as an increase in volume. This does not necessarily mean an improved tone. Put on some quality strings, and go from there.

Oh, high G or low?

thanks guys. i have high g aquilas on it. so if possible, is there anything that can improve the tone??

Top Bottom