Made the switch to low G

kjmillig1

Reaction score
After much thought and watching lots of Youtube videos, I switched to low G tuning and I have to say I really like the sound. Being a fromer double bass player and liking many lower toned instruments, I like the wider note range and deeper tones provided by the low G.
One happy uke player. :D
What are your experiences?

I have a low G uke and like it very much. I like the variety of pieces I can play. I couldn't live without the re-entrant tuning uke, though. Enjoy!

I just put a low G string on my Tenor last week. I'm learning some Danial Ho music from the Polani CD. Can't really play that without the low G, sounds good. It doesn't work for most of what I play but will be fine on the tenor dedicated to that style of playing.

I have my Pono tenor in low G, and the Fluke in re-entrant. Best of both worlds.

I tried low g tuning a couple of times and it did not stick for me. Fow whatever reason, I tried it again a while back - I think it was to play a specific fingerstyle song that required it. And now, I play almost exclusively low g, and have it on most of my ukuleles.

I am a fingerstyle player on my uke and guitar. So one of my tenors is low G. I play that most of the time. I kept the other reentrant, it comes in handy for festivals and workshops where I mostly strum. I like having the two options.

I love the low G. I even have a soprano low G, although it wasn't my idea - it came that way from the prior owner, and I'm very glad it did.

I keep my sopranos and my concert as re-entrant
tuning but favour Low G on my tenor scale.

David Hurd (Kawika), the reknown ukulele builder, once told me "Why would you take all the time necessary to build a great ukulele, only to rob it of it's full potential by putting a high G string on it?" I agree. Those who haven't tried a low G configuration don't know what they are missing.

Last edited:
i use high g because jake uses it

I use high G because Tiny Tim used it!

(I'm a bad boy.) :nana:

Top Bottom