Strumming Basics?

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
I'm sure there must be previous threads but I couldn't find them....
I'm strumming with the side of my thumb. I notice others at group use their index finger, a plectrum, or it looks like they use all their fingers somehow.

So of course I'm now wondering if there is a 'correct' method for strumming? Is it limiting to use the thumb?

Also in another thread someone talked about 'chunking' which others also referred to as 'chucking'. Please enlighten newbie who bows low at your feet in anticipation of collecting your pearls of wisdom (then taking the pearls to the pawn shop) :cool:

There are many different types of strumming methods!

If I am strumming fast or to a certain rhythm for example, I will use my forefinger and keep it nice and relaxed. If I am picking individual strings or strumming slowly (or melodically) I will use my thumb. I have grown the nails on the fingers of my right hand into pick shapes to aid with finger picking too, but not on my thumb because I like to have the softer sound when using my thumb!

It's best to get used to using all forms of strumming techniques, your thumb may work better in some strumming patterns, and in others your finger, just experiment a bit!

Also, chunking, or chucking, is when you strum but instantly mute the strings, it is an example of something that would be pretty difficult if you strum down with your thumb, there is an instructional video on chunking on the ukulele underground lessons on the home page (not the forums!), it is easiest if you strum down with a finger then turn your hand to the side instantly and mute with the side of your thumb!

Last edited:
As nightunte says there is no 'standard' way of strumming as such. Just experiment and find what works for you and then practice, practice, practice.

When I first started playing I found strumming very difficult. Mostly the strings were 'grabbing' my finger or my nail was snagging the strings and it sounded not good at all. The key is to just stick at it and it will go right in the end.

Must admit I still find 'chucking' near impossible (a lot more practice required!)

Many recommend the forefinger because as you progress, you will use the thumb for many other things. If you go to YouTube, search: "ukulele how to strum" or "ukulele strumming techniques." You will find many examples with demos.

I imagine it would be hard to go fast or to chunk while using your thumb. But I guess it's a matter of finding out what works for you!

Personally I use my forefinger, and I'm getting used to chunking. Had a few goes at the rolling strum but nowhere close!

Almost all strumming techiques are good. You should practice them all and get comfortable with them.
If you only use one method all your songs will begin to sound the same. As you progress you may even find yourself using various strums in one song.
I have found that I use a hybrid thumb-index finger for most of my strumming.

Top Bottom