Connect Ukulele to Computer?

Kyle23

Reaction score
Is there a way to connect my ukulele to my computer to record better audio?

I made a video

and my friend for fun wanted to sing the chorus of the song over it, but the quality isn't so great sound wise. I know there has to be a chord to plug into my pickup to my computer. ANyone know if it exists or what it's called?

when I do video I use my Blue Yeti mic as the aidio source. sounds a lot better than the mic in the camera.
others might have better ways.

If you have an electric pickup, you can get a 1/4" female phone to 1/8" male phone adapter that would let you plug your chord directly into the typical computer microphone input.
21v3YeMxZmL.jpg

You may have to fiddle with your input levels.

If you have an electric pickup, you can get a 1/4" female phone to 1/8" male phone adapter that would let you plug your chord directly into the typical computer microphone input.
21v3YeMxZmL.jpg

You may have to fiddle with your input levels.

If I get a regular amp chord and plug it into that slot, it'll be fine?

Home made piezo pickup with mono 6mm - 3mm connection straight into Audacity. Luvvly jubbly. About £3.50 or five of your fancy green dollars.

If I get a regular amp chord and plug it into that slot, it'll be fine?

Yes, a regular amp chord (1/4" male phone plugs at both ends). That adapter should fit the normal microphone input (on the front or side of your average laptop).

As Whatevershesaid mentioned, you can use Audacity -- a free download audio program. You may have to twiddle with the imput levels to get things right.

Wouldn't my headphone jack on my computer only be output though?

Wouldn't my headphone jack on my computer only be output though?
Yes, that's why pootsie talked about the microphone jack. The exact location differs, but I'd be very surprised if you had none.

If you want better sound, try getting something that goes from instrument input to USB. Lots of companies make them now. If you're on a Mac, then the Apogee Jam all day long. Clean clean sound. If you're on a PC, then probably the one by Peavey is pretty good. There are lots of brands now though.

Then you'd use some amp modeling software, and really dial in your sound that way.

Some software accounts for that. Sure it's not as high-end as a pre-amp pedal would be, but it just depends on the software. I use Ampkit+ on the iphone/ipad, and it does have some acoustic options, including the pre-amp EQ.

Or maybe you don't even want a "true" sound, but maybe just a cool sound. In that case, the sky's the limit. :)

Some software accounts for that. Sure it's not as high-end as a pre-amp pedal would be, but it just depends on the software. I use Ampkit+ on the iphone/ipad, and it does have some acoustic options, including the pre-amp EQ.

Or maybe you don't even want a "true" sound, but maybe just a cool sound. In that case, the sky's the limit. :)

I've also got that ampkit rig. It works well. You can also use it to jack directly into the computer.

Top Bottom