Left handed question.

Ukunewb

Reaction score
I'm a newbie with two weeks of playing under my belt!

I am also left handed. I've been playing right handed and it's going fine. However, I'm now at a stage where I have encountered chords that involve my pinkie.

My left pinkie nerve got sliced when I was a kid so mine is weaker than most. Even tho I'm left-handed, my right pinkie is comparably much stronger and more cooperative. This is making me think that maybe I've finally encountered a reason that tips the scale toward switching to left-handed playing.

So I guess my question is, from the lefties who are playing left-handed, do you like left-handed playing or do you regret switching? What issues did you face that you didn't realize you'd have to face when you switched? I know about mirroring the chord diagrams and things like that, which shouldn't be a huge issue.

Or alternatively, can a person be an adequate player without ever using their pinky? I discovered my pinkie problem while attempting a Dm7 chord, so in the interest of getting past it, I have been fretting Dm and not strumming the A string. I essentially fake it ;-). It's a case of fast chord changes, so I figured I wouldn't have time to strum all 4 strings anyway ;-).

I don't plan on changing my name to Jake ;-) esp since I'm female ;-). I just play for stress relief, so continuing to play right handed is my preference if I can ignore the pinkie problem.

Insights always welcome from lefties -- and non-lefties too.

I love this board. Thank you.

T

My Uke
Kahuna Zebrawood Concert. It is my treasure.

Well, being a left-handed activist, I demand that you switch to left-handed playing RIGHT NOW!! ;)

Seriously, though, if it's working for you, then go with it. My only issue playing left-handed is that I can't play anyone else's uke as they're all right-handed.

As a lefty who plays right-handed, it IS pretty nice to be able to try out other people's ukes, and for ONCE not have to switch every darn direction around.

Except you do need your pinky, generally speaking. (Unless you're really driven, like Djago Reinhardt.)

But there are exercises available to strengthen your pinkie, maybe you should check some of those out and see how it goes before you decide. I think the pinky is the weakest finger for everybody in any case, so it might be that you're just having the same problem everybody does with that finger when they start. I've been playing for about a year now, and mine is stronger than it was but definitely not as strong as my other fingers.

I touched one of those once. Ouch ouch ouch ouch! That's some tension they have going there.

Gee, I don't know ifyou're helping ;-)

Gee, I don't know if you're all helping, but you made me smile, so...:rolleyes:

Not sure if pinkie strengthening will help a pinkie that is weakened because the nerve has been partly severed....maybe it will help a little, but not much. My right pinkie is truly much stronger than my left, even tho I'm left-handed. Part of the problem with my left is I sort of can't tell where it is and how much pressure I've applied.

Probably not a huge deal with not being able to play other people's ukes.

Sooo, lurking waiting for other answers about "hidden" issues with switching....

Thanks for the smiles. ;-).

What size are you playing? A soprano will have less tension on it, and also less reach is required, so that might help a little if you aren't already on a soprano.

But if you can't feel where your finger is, I don't know....that does seem like a bigger issue. I'd still suggest giving it a couple more weeks before you turn it around.

I'm a lefty who plays right-handed, whereas my lefty husband wouldn't try. Playing cello for years, I'm used to using the LH fingers for the notes including the pinky, but I still struggle with using it on the uke.
Something my hubby said once though made me think - he referred to the bow as giving voice to the strings, whereas the LH only gave the notes. Made me think I shouldn't converted to LH cello, or at least it told me what was missing from my playing.

I don't believe it matters which you use, as long as it is comfortable & works for you.

I’m left-handed and play lefty. Try switching to lefty, your left hand strumming may be freer and more expressive than your right hand could ever be. Never could understand the debate over handedness it’s tough enough just learning and building up your skill level. Not being able to play store ukes or other folks ukes at group meetings is a very minor thing compared to the hours of joy playing your own ukulele.

I'm a Lefty who plays righty and I'm glad I do . I don't look at it as playing righty ,I think I'm playing correctly. In your case where your pinky doesnt work well I would play lefty. I don't use my pinky often but I wouldnt want to not be able to use it. I use it for a few songs I play and as I progress in my playing I'll be using it more. Try playing non standard ( lefty )

Listen to ogg (Ogg speak truth!). You could try switching it around for a bit and see how it goes. You just started, so it's not to late. Play lefty and if you don't like it, switch back. You might find it feels more "natural", and you probably won't really use your pinkie for strumming.

Thank you everyone

for your prompt and good replies.

I think I've decided that I'm just not going to play ukulele. I bought my uke at Costco, so I can return it.

The pinkie problem is just the last straw.

I need my ukulele set up or I need to find a store where I can buy a good one already set up. My efforts to find a music store in my area (Redmond, WA) that is all of reputable, honest, helpful, has merchandise in stock, and is not overly costly have lead to dead ends. I've heard Dusty Strings is good, but it's too far away and expensive. And I don't want to mail order from any place that doesn't have a local store. It just creates potentially more hastles.

Music stores: I bought a tuner today at a music store in Bellevue after having seen their demo version in the store and it turns out that my copy is a flaky piece of junk, doesn't work as well as the $5 tuner that came with my uke. (Tuners seem to be hit or miss, all seem to have their share of faulty units). Before buying, I asked about return policies. They said 30 days. But their receipt says, "all sales final." ...an example of the fun I am experiencing with music stores. I will call them. They may allow an exchange. I have no idea. But I was trying out ukes today with them and found one I was seriously considering...but sorry, they have lost a sale.

All that and my suckie pinkie. I've had it. Some things were not meant to be.

Time to go back to my electric keyboard, and photography, and quilting, where none of these obstacles exist. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. This is turning out to be just an exercise in frustration.

Thanks again for all of your help.

I would urge you not to give up so soon too! Granted, I don't have your pinky problem (mine just doesn't work because it's stubborn), but I think that anything worthwhile is usually difficult to master. Along with difficulty often comes frustration. I've played guitar and now, uke, and there have been many times that I've become frustrated, but it makes it all worthwhile when I can eke out a couple notes that are recognizable. Just take a step back and don't sweat it so much. I try to keep telling myself that it doesn't matter how long it takes me to get to some level of proficiency. I'm never going to be a pro level performer so who cares if I progress slowly?

I haven't purchased anything uke related online yet, but there are lots of recommendations for what sounds like some great online retailers out there. Maybe that's a way for you to go to get the service and quality gear you're looking for.

Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying the uke. A well set-up uke makes a world of difference. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks everyone

for the encouragement.

It's not about playing. I love that. It's frustrating in a good way. I love a challenge. I don't even care if I'm good. I just love the sweet, bright sound that comes out of the little box. It takes away my stress. I love all of the nice, friendly, helpful, encouraging people who seem to be attracted magnetically to these cute little mini-geeeetars.

It just feels like it's hard to figure out what is a good deal, who is a good resource, etc etc.

But with sleep and reduced frustration level, I'm back. I am addicted to this silly little instrument. Why is that?

I love my Costco Uke. It sounds quite bright and pretty. It's solid zebrawood, has a shiny finish on it that caters to my practical nature, so I won't mind taking it out. I can wash it with a wet cloth! To buy this uke with a slightly different finish is about another $100, and wouldn't be nearly as practical.

I think the solution to my pinky problem might very well be just finding a good luthier to set it up the way I want it, but right handed, cuz I think right handed playing would create fewer obstacles. With a good setup, maybe the pinky would cooperate. I played with some ukes that were set up and I thought their action might be a little low, awfully quiet, almost flat. So if I start with mine and find someone who will work with me, I'll get the fun toy I want.

Thank you all for your help and for listening to my frustration.

You are the BEST!

Oh, and if you know of a good luthier in the Bellevue-Redmond, WA area, I'm all ears.

That's the spirit!!!

Maybe you can try asking in the Tech Forum about someone in your area who could set your uke up for you.

I’m left-handed and play lefty. Try switching to lefty, your left hand strumming may be freer and more expressive than your right hand could ever be. Never could understand the debate over handedness it’s tough enough just learning and building up your skill level. Not being able to play store ukes or other folks ukes at group meetings is a very minor thing compared to the hours of joy playing your own ukulele.

:agree: When I started playing guitar years ago I thought it was strange that we use our "weak hand" (in my case the left) for doing the stuff that requires the most manual dexterity (i.e. fretting chords). I soon discovered that my left hand/wrist/arm simply have no sense of rhythm and that it was far harder to learn rhythm in the left hand than it was to learn chord shapes.

John

copy Tellerc

Go Lefty. I'm a proud lefty player. My guitars are all lefty. My ukes are all lefty. My didgeridoos are all lefty because I told them so as are all of my native american flutes. Imagine what the world would be like if someone told Paul McCartney or Jimmy Hendrix they should not or could not play lefty? I shudder to think. No Beatles and no Hendrix. Oh the horror. Be lefty and Be Proud!

Mark

Top Bottom