Commerative Martin 1T IZ to be unveiled at NAMM.

ScooterD35

Reaction score
A signature Uke is a first for Martin.

From Martin's website:

-MARTIN 1T IZ COMMEMORATIVE CUSTOM ARTIST TENOR UKELELE: Beloved in life, Hawaiian musician Israel Kamakawiwo'ole has become even more so since his death in 1997 at the too-young age of 38. His beautiful voice and elegant ukulele accompaniment - as showcased in his hit "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" - have enchanted people everywhere and helped spark a renaissance in traditional Hawaiian music. For much of his career, Israel - or IZ, as he is affectionately known - cherished a vintage Martin tenor ukulele, which he played at recording sessions and in concert. After he died, his body and his treasured uke were cremated together, and their ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean off Oahu in a ceremony attended by thousands. To honor his musical legacy, C.F. Martin & Co. introduces the Martin 1T IZ Commemorative Custom Artist tenor ukulele. Inspired by Martin 1T tenor ukes from the 1940s and 1950s, the 1T IZ features rare tonewoods, handsome inlays and distinctive appointments that capture the unique spirit of the man whose name it bears. The crowning glory is the headstock. East Indian rosewood provides the backdrop for beautiful inlays; "IZ" in Hawaiian koawood and a hibiscus flower (symbolic of Hawaii) in pink awabi pearl. Both inlays are nestled under the familiar gold C.F. Martin & Co. logo and are flanked by unique black geared violin-style "PegHeds®" tuners. Delivered in an embroidered protective "Next Generation" bag, each 1T IZ Commemorative Custom Artist tenor ukulele bears an interior label individually signed by Marlene Kamakawiwo'ole, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's wife, and numbered in sequence without total. (MSRP: $1,999)

Scooter

Last edited:
A signature Uke is a first for Martin.

From Martin's website:

-MARTIN 1T IZ COMMEMORATIVE CUSTOM ARTIST TENOR UKELELE: Beloved in life, Hawaiian musician Israel Kamakawiwo'ole has become even more so since his death in 1997 at the too-young age of 38. His beautiful voice and elegant ukulele accompaniment - as showcased in his hit "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" - have enchanted people everywhere and helped spark a renaissance in traditional Hawaiian music. For much of his career, Israel - or IZ, as he is affectionately known - cherished a vintage Martin tenor ukulele, which he played at recording sessions and in concert. After he died, his body and his treasured uke were cremated together, and their ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean off Oahu in a ceremony attended by thousands. To honor his musical legacy, C.F. Martin & Co. introduces the Martin 1T IZ Commemorative Custom Artist tenor ukulele. Inspired by Martin 1T tenor ukes from the 1940s and 1950s, the 1T IZ features rare tonewoods, handsome inlays and distinctive appointments that capture the unique spirit of the man whose name it bears. The crowning glory is the headstock. East Indian rosewood provides the backdrop for beautiful inlays; "IZ" in Hawaiian koawood and a hibiscus flower (symbolic of Hawaii) in pink awabi pearl. Both inlays are nestled under the familiar gold C.F. Martin & Co. logo and are flanked by unique black geared violin-style "PegHeds®" tuners. Delivered in an embroidered protective "Next Generation" bag, each 1T IZ Commemorative Custom Artist tenor ukulele bears an interior label individually signed by Marlene Kamakawiwo'ole, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's wife, and numbered in sequence without total. (MSRP: $1,999)

Scooter

A link with pics... I'm not sure I like the giant "IZ" on the headstock, though:

http://www.martinguitar.com/catalogs/IZ%201T%20Tenor%20Ukulele.pdf

Last edited:
I wonder how many will be produced?

"and numbered in sequence without total."

In Martin-speak, that usually means that they will keep selling them as long as they keep selling.

Scooter

"and numbered in sequence without total."

In Martin-speak, that usually means that they will keep selling them as long as they keep selling.

Scooter

Sounds like from what I was told they'll make them for 1 year. They say w/o total, because it depends on how many sell. We've got 3 coming to our shop, so it could be only 5 made, or could be 500. All depends on the demand :)

It is cool they are using pegheds, but they missed the fact that his had a pin bridge.
I like the flower and Iz inlay.

For their sake/reputation, I hope it's a whole lot better quality instrument than the regular T-2. The ones I've played have been disappointing. Will it have a radiused neck? Probably not - but if they're not going to provide a radiused neck than why not put friction tuners on it so as be more reproduction like? The Pegheds are better tuners than the open back grovers, but what's with the bag? geez - $2000 and you get a gig bag? It's bad enough to get one with the $1250 TK2.

Duk

Hmmm, don't know what to think about this one. The old Martin sopranos are awesome, the concerts are great, but I have not found an old Martin Tenor that I liked. I have also played some of the new Martins and am not a huge fan. But Martin is a great company with a proud history, and I would like to think that they have the historical knowledge to make a great instrument if they put in the effort. Very interested in what people think about this once they have a chance to play it.

Almost 2K and no bridge buttons? Please. At least it has the right tuners!

Last edited:
Hmmm, don't know what to think about this one. The old Martin sopranos are awesome, the concerts are great, but I have not found an old Martin Tenor that I liked. I have also played some of the new Martins and am not a huge fan. But Martin is a great company with a proud history, and I would like to think that they have the historical knowledge to make a great instrument if they put in the effort. Very interested in what people think about this once they have a chance to play it.

On the other side of the question, I like the new Martins, and I've had a few vintage tenors in my hand that were amazing. Vintage tenor= wishlist, and for $1900 I could get one that also made me a sandwich. :)

Ditto on the lack of the pinned bridge.

If they are going to make a commemorative uke like Iz's, well...make it like Iz's! Especially at that price. Otherwise, they are just capitalizing on his name, IMO.

If they are going to make a commemorative uke like Iz's, well...make it like Iz's! Especially at that price. Otherwise, they are just capitalizing on his name, IMO.

Not sure it's just capitalizing, because who really knows? But if Martin had made a replica of IZ's uke, with pinned bridge and actual friction tuners, I'd be first in line. This is not a vintage look Martin tenor. I'll just wait and get one that was like IZ's-- an actual vintage Martin.:D

Almost 2K and no bridge buttons? Please. At least it has the right tuners!

Actually it does have the tuners wrong. If it was going to be a replica of IZ's uke it'd have something similar to these:

e.-Tuners-CF-Martin-Ukulele-34_-580x482.jpg

They really aren't making a IZ replica, it's a "Commemorative" model, so not an exact model :) Just something to honor a wonderful man. Not capitalizing either. Martin when they make a model like this the person, in this case will get a couple of the models, then they can choose to have a number of them sold to personal friends at a nice discount, then Martin donates a nice percentage of the profit to a charity that they want. In this case Marlene will decide which charity :)

$1999 is just the MSRP, with standard discount of 35-40% you're looking at $1200-$1300.

Scooter

Price should end up being $1495 :)

Also, Martin has a few things wrong in their specs. IZ's Martin was most likely a 1960's Tenor, as it was 14 frets to the body not 12 as they were up til 59 or 60.

Last edited:
Top Bottom