PDA

View Full Version : Commerative Martin 1T IZ to be unveiled at NAMM.

ScooterD35
01-15-2013, 03:45 AM
A signature Uke is a first for Martin.

From Martin's website:

-MARTIN 1T IZ COMMEMORATIVE CUSTOM ARTIST TENOR UKELELE: Beloved in life, Hawaiian musician Israel Kamakawiwo'ole has become even more so since his death in 1997 at the too-young age of 38. His beautiful voice and elegant ukulele accompaniment - as showcased in his hit "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" - have enchanted people everywhere and helped spark a renaissance in traditional Hawaiian music. For much of his career, Israel - or IZ, as he is affectionately known - cherished a vintage Martin tenor ukulele, which he played at recording sessions and in concert. After he died, his body and his treasured uke were cremated together, and their ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean off Oahu in a ceremony attended by thousands. To honor his musical legacy, C.F. Martin & Co. introduces the Martin 1T IZ Commemorative Custom Artist tenor ukulele. Inspired by Martin 1T tenor ukes from the 1940s and 1950s, the 1T IZ features rare tonewoods, handsome inlays and distinctive appointments that capture the unique spirit of the man whose name it bears. The crowning glory is the headstock. East Indian rosewood provides the backdrop for beautiful inlays; "IZ" in Hawaiian koawood and a hibiscus flower (symbolic of Hawaii) in pink awabi pearl. Both inlays are nestled under the familiar gold C.F. Martin & Co. logo and are flanked by unique black geared violin-style "PegHeds®" tuners. Delivered in an embroidered protective "Next Generation" bag, each 1T IZ Commemorative Custom Artist tenor ukulele bears an interior label individually signed by Marlene Kamakawiwo'ole, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's wife, and numbered in sequence without total. (MSRP: $1,999)

Scooter

PedalFreak
01-15-2013, 03:53 AM
So much for me not buying an ukulele this year :)

Glad that I'm a Martin dealer!

ukeeku
01-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Awesome. Now I have something to talk to them about!

RedRamen
01-15-2013, 05:27 AM
I think it is a fitting tribute to a truly great person. RIP IZ

soupking
01-15-2013, 05:46 AM
A signature Uke is a first for Martin.

From Martin's website:

-MARTIN 1T IZ COMMEMORATIVE CUSTOM ARTIST TENOR UKELELE: Beloved in life, Hawaiian musician Israel Kamakawiwo'ole has become even more so since his death in 1997 at the too-young age of 38. His beautiful voice and elegant ukulele accompaniment - as showcased in his hit "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" - have enchanted people everywhere and helped spark a renaissance in traditional Hawaiian music. For much of his career, Israel - or IZ, as he is affectionately known - cherished a vintage Martin tenor ukulele, which he played at recording sessions and in concert. After he died, his body and his treasured uke were cremated together, and their ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean off Oahu in a ceremony attended by thousands. To honor his musical legacy, C.F. Martin & Co. introduces the Martin 1T IZ Commemorative Custom Artist tenor ukulele. Inspired by Martin 1T tenor ukes from the 1940s and 1950s, the 1T IZ features rare tonewoods, handsome inlays and distinctive appointments that capture the unique spirit of the man whose name it bears. The crowning glory is the headstock. East Indian rosewood provides the backdrop for beautiful inlays; "IZ" in Hawaiian koawood and a hibiscus flower (symbolic of Hawaii) in pink awabi pearl. Both inlays are nestled under the familiar gold C.F. Martin & Co. logo and are flanked by unique black geared violin-style "PegHeds®" tuners. Delivered in an embroidered protective "Next Generation" bag, each 1T IZ Commemorative Custom Artist tenor ukulele bears an interior label individually signed by Marlene Kamakawiwo'ole, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's wife, and numbered in sequence without total. (MSRP: $1,999)

Scooter

A link with pics... I'm not sure I like the giant "IZ" on the headstock, though:

http://www.martinguitar.com/catalogs/IZ%201T%20Tenor%20Ukulele.pdf

HBolte
01-15-2013, 06:17 AM
I wonder how many will be produced?

PedalFreak
01-15-2013, 06:39 AM
I wonder how many will be produced?

Not sure, but I just put 3 on order for my shop :D Woohoo! Can't wait for this one! Wish they would've done a pinned bridge though.

ScooterD35
01-15-2013, 06:50 AM
"and numbered in sequence without total."

In Martin-speak, that usually means that they will keep selling them as long as they keep selling.

Scooter

PedalFreak
01-15-2013, 07:01 AM
"and numbered in sequence without total."

In Martin-speak, that usually means that they will keep selling them as long as they keep selling.

Scooter

Sounds like from what I was told they'll make them for 1 year. They say w/o total, because it depends on how many sell. We've got 3 coming to our shop, so it could be only 5 made, or could be 500. All depends on the demand :)

ukeeku
01-15-2013, 07:03 AM
It is cool they are using pegheds, but they missed the fact that his had a pin bridge.
I like the flower and Iz inlay.

PedalFreak
01-15-2013, 07:04 AM
It is cool they are using pegheds, but they missed the fact that his had a pin bridge.
I like the flower and Iz inlay.

This is what I was thinking too. I was really hoping for a pinned bridge.

wendellfiddler
01-15-2013, 07:12 AM
For their sake/reputation, I hope it's a whole lot better quality instrument than the regular T-2. The ones I've played have been disappointing. Will it have a radiused neck? Probably not - but if they're not going to provide a radiused neck than why not put friction tuners on it so as be more reproduction like? The Pegheds are better tuners than the open back grovers, but what's with the bag? geez - $2000 and you get a gig bag? It's bad enough to get one with the $1250 TK2.

Duk

Stevelele
01-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Hmmm, don't know what to think about this one. The old Martin sopranos are awesome, the concerts are great, but I have not found an old Martin Tenor that I liked. I have also played some of the new Martins and am not a huge fan. But Martin is a great company with a proud history, and I would like to think that they have the historical knowledge to make a great instrument if they put in the effort. Very interested in what people think about this once they have a chance to play it.

pdxuke
01-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Almost 2K and no bridge buttons? Please. At least it has the right tuners!

pdxuke
01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Hmmm, don't know what to think about this one. The old Martin sopranos are awesome, the concerts are great, but I have not found an old Martin Tenor that I liked. I have also played some of the new Martins and am not a huge fan. But Martin is a great company with a proud history, and I would like to think that they have the historical knowledge to make a great instrument if they put in the effort. Very interested in what people think about this once they have a chance to play it.

On the other side of the question, I like the new Martins, and I've had a few vintage tenors in my hand that were amazing. Vintage tenor= wishlist, and for $1900 I could get one that also made me a sandwich. :-)

Gillian
01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Ditto on the lack of the pinned bridge.

If they are going to make a commemorative uke like Iz's, well...make it like Iz's! Especially at that price. Otherwise, they are just capitalizing on his name, IMO.

ScooterD35
01-15-2013, 09:38 AM
$1999 is just the MSRP, with standard discount of 35-40% you're looking at $1200-$1300.

Scooter

pdxuke
01-15-2013, 09:38 AM

If they are going to make a commemorative uke like Iz's, well...make it like Iz's! Especially at that price. Otherwise, they are just capitalizing on his name, IMO.

Not sure it's just capitalizing, because who really knows? But if Martin had made a replica of IZ's uke, with pinned bridge and actual friction tuners, I'd be first in line. This is not a vintage look Martin tenor. I'll just wait and get one that was like IZ's-- an actual vintage Martin.:D

PedalFreak
01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Almost 2K and no bridge buttons? Please. At least it has the right tuners!

Actually it does have the tuners wrong. If it was going to be a replica of IZ's uke it'd have something similar to these:

http://ukulelefriend.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/e.-Tuners-CF-Martin-Ukulele-34_-580x482.jpg

They really aren't making a IZ replica, it's a "Commemorative" model, so not an exact model :) Just something to honor a wonderful man. Not capitalizing either. Martin when they make a model like this the person, in this case will get a couple of the models, then they can choose to have a number of them sold to personal friends at a nice discount, then Martin donates a nice percentage of the profit to a charity that they want. In this case Marlene will decide which charity :)

$1999 is just the MSRP, with standard discount of 35-40% you're looking at $1200-$1300.

Scooter

Price should end up being $1495 :)

Also, Martin has a few things wrong in their specs. IZ's Martin was most likely a 1960's Tenor, as it was 14 frets to the body not 12 as they were up til 59 or 60.

hawaii 50
01-15-2013, 10:51 AM
A link with pics... I'm not sure I like the giant "IZ" on the headstock, though:

http://www.martinguitar.com/catalogs/IZ%201T%20Tenor%20Ukulele.pdf

Not going to order one but i think the IZ on the headstock pretty cool..

ScooterD35
01-15-2013, 11:05 AM
$1495 may well be MAP, but I know several Martin dealers that give 35-40% off of the MSRP (which would put it at $1200-$1300).

Scooter

foxfair
01-15-2013, 11:25 AM
$1495 may well be MAP, but I know several Martin dealers that give 35-40% off of the MSRP (which would put it at $1200-$1300).

Scooter

Even with that price, not interested.
Sorry I'm not a Martin fan at start, and not impressed by their commemorative "product".

Like others said previously, I would find a good vintage martin tenor if I really want one.

pdxuke
01-15-2013, 12:03 PM
The sad thing is, I AM a Martin fan--but this uke has no interest for me. Too many things missed, IMHO. Pass.

The Great IZ loved his tenor Martin for a reason. It would have been nice for Martin to build that tenor for us as a way to honor him. This may turn out to be a great uke, but for me--no interest.

PedalFreak
01-15-2013, 12:08 PM

Scooter

That'll be changing this year. Martin got tired of certain dealers doing that & changed some policy. They're saying that will be happening less and less this year :)

Mad Hatter
01-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Anyone that plays guitar is familiar with signature edition models. (Fender's Clapton, SRV, Mayer, etc. Gibson Jimmy Page, Angus Young, Tal Farlow, Wes Montgomery...list goes on).

Some of these are amazing instruments, some are literally a model with a few unique features and an upcharge. One thing remains...they all find a market and an audience. In my experience, the best of players generally don't want someone else's name/model guitar. I don't think the IZ Martin will sway anyone away from a Kamaka or Koaloha. I think it's a different type of customer that will purchase the IZ Martin uke. Nothing wrong with it all. It's not that it's an inferior instrument. But generally anyone buying this is buying it strictly for the name, either to collect or just to have something tied to a favorite artist. Because for the same money you can buy a hand built Koa from nearly any of the big builders.

All this being said, it's dang cool to see a signature uke. Seriously! How many truly famous ukulele players are there? By famous I mean a household name even amongst the casual listener of music. I think it's a beautiful gesture to the ukulele playing public. It pays homage to IZ in a way that allows musicians specifically to show new enthusiasm for his playing.

If I had the money I would be buying one for sure. If I could only afford one 1300.00 tenor I would probably go for a K brand. But if I had enough money to own a few, this would definitely be in my stable. Without question he is probably the most famous and possibly the most commercially successful ukulele player alive or dead. How cool it would be to have one of these.

And good points brought up about "commemorative" vs. "replica." This comes up a lot in the guitar world many times. One that comes to mind is the Fender SRV model. Run of the mill, mass produced, generally about 1700.00 new. And then the limited edition, custom shop built "replica" SRV model...sold out before it went for sale and fetches an easy 24,000.00 if you want one.

Would be really cool if Martin took this one step further and possibly chose that route. Get Iz's actual uke (I know nothing about it, for all I know it's gone), measure everything, neck shape, weight, tuners...even replicate any possible wear on the instrument. With the goal to be purchasing an instrument that would literally pass as the original. Now THAT would be great. It would also be a bit more than 1400.00. But it would sure cause a stir in the ukulele world. Best advertising you can get for Martin.

That's my .02. I run off at the keyboard every time I post to a thread it seems. lol I just happen to think the IZ model is pretty darned cool if you're in the market for something like this. And the headstock logo is really quite cool. More often than not I think a signature instrument is ruined when the artist's name is too prominently featured on the instrument. But Martin pulled it off here. Very classy IMO.

SamUke
01-15-2013, 12:21 PM
I would by a Martin Ohta-San replica.....

http://puapua-ukulolo.blogspot.com/2009/07/ohta-sans-black-martin-3m-standard.html

ChrisRCovington
01-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I think the new model looks great! I would love to own one if it was in my price range. Right now it isn't.

Mad Hatter I like the idea of an exact replica however I think whent hey cremated Iz they threw his Martin ukulele in with him.

The other thing I noticed is the back and sides are quilted mahogany. Weren't the old Martins solid mahogany?

Anyway I like it a lot, but I love new Martins :)

ScooterD35
01-15-2013, 12:43 PM
That'll be changing this year. Martin got tired of certain dealers doing that & changed some policy. They're saying that will be happening less and less this year :)

Then I expect they will be seeing a sharp drop in sales. Not a particularly good business decision if you ask me.

Scooter

ScooterD35
01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Would be really cool if Martin took this one step further and possibly chose that route. Get Iz's actual uke (I know nothing about it, for all I know it's gone), measure everything, neck shape, weight, tuners...even replicate any possible wear on the instrument. With the goal to be purchasing an instrument that would literally pass as the original. Now THAT would be great. It would also be a bit more than 1400.00. But it would sure cause a stir in the ukulele world. Best advertising you can get for Martin.

That's my .02. I run off at the keyboard every time I post to a thread it seems. lol I just happen to think the IZ model is pretty darned cool if you're in the market for something like this. And the headstock logo is really quite cool. More often than not I think a signature instrument is ruined when the artist's name is too prominently featured on the instrument. But Martin pulled it off here. Very classy IMO.

From the article:

"For much of his career, Israel or IZ, as he is affectionately known cherished a vintage Martin tenor ukulele, which he played at recording sessions and in concert. After he died, his body and his treasured uke were cremated together, and their ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean off Oahu in a ceremony attended by thousands.
To honor Israel Kamakawiwo’ole and his musical legacy, C. F. Martin & Co. introduces the Martin lT IZ Commemorative Custom Signature Edition tenor ukulele. Inspired by Martin 1T tenor ukes from the 1940s and 1950s, the 1T IZ features rare tonewoods, handsome inlays and distinctive appointments that capture the unique spirit of the man whose name it bears."

That answers your question about where his Uke is, it was cremated with him. I certainly agree that this is a cool and classy tribute to a great man and musician and I love that his wife was involved and has signed the labels. It gives it that much more credibility. I plan to be at the Martin factory next Friday to check out the new models so if there is a 1T IZ there i'll post a report.

Scooter

pdxuke
01-15-2013, 03:24 PM
From the article:

"For much of his career, Israel or IZ, as he is affectionately known cherished a vintage Martin tenor ukulele, which he played at recording sessions and in concert. After he died, his body and his treasured uke were cremated together, and their ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean off Oahu in a ceremony attended by thousands.
To honor Israel Kamakawiwo’ole and his musical legacy, C. F. Martin & Co. introduces the Martin lT IZ Commemorative Custom Signature Edition tenor ukulele. Inspired by Martin 1T tenor ukes from the 1940s and 1950s, the 1T IZ features rare tonewoods, handsome inlays and distinctive appointments that capture the unique spirit of the man whose name it bears."

That answers your question about where his Uke is, it was cremated with him. I certainly agree that this is a cool and classy tribute to a great man and musician and I love that his wife was involved and has signed the labels. It gives it that much more credibility. I plan to be at the Martin factory next Friday to check out the new models so if there is a 1T IZ there i'll post a report.

Scooter

If there is, maybe there's still time to convince them to add bridge buttons. In my mind that makes this a much classier tribute piece.

pdxuke
01-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Here's my IZ tribute uke:

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/40081/index.php

:rolleyes::drool:

PedalFreak
01-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Here's my IZ tribute uke:

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/40081/index.php

:rolleyes::drool:

IZ played a 60's Martin 1T. Look at all the photos of him with it. Not sure how Martin could've missed that. His was 14 frets to the body, which started in the 60's :)

coolkayaker1
01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
For $1500 street price I can get a pretty swell Pohaku or Mya Moe, and I can call it "Iz".

pdxuke
01-15-2013, 05:01 PM
It is a nice idea. I just don't understand why Martin would not want to go the extra mile in this great uke man's memory and give the darn thing bridge buttons! Would it really have cost that much more? Heck, charge $50 more and put them on! I've been ragging on the new Martin concerts and tenors having those dreaded (to me) geared tuners, and they finally at least get the look right with peg heads, and then do this ugly classical guitar bridge tie. One reason I buy Martin is for its tradition and heritage. How can they honor their own heritage when not one tenor uke from their past has this style of bridge? I simply don't understand this decision making. Perhaps it's based on their market research of what customers want, but it pretty much assures that if I buy Martin new builds they will all be sopranos that look like the Martins of old.

(Grumbles about tradition and slinks out the door...)

geetee
01-15-2013, 07:02 PM
+Iz played low G. This looks to be strung re-entrant. Commemorative? I don't think so.

PedalFreak
01-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Then I expect they will be seeing a sharp drop in sales. Not a particularly good business decision if you ask me.

Scooter

It's going to be great. Taylor, Martin and other companies have changed their policies this year. Several stores, you and others probably know who, have really devalued their product, which is even worse for business.

ScooterD35
01-16-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure where you come up with the Martin brand being "devalued". It's my understanding that overall sales (and high-end sales in particular) are better than ever, in spite of the lingering difficulties in the economy. How exactly does that devalue the brand?

Stores have a right to set their own profit margins. Last time I checked, price fixing was still illegal in America. If Taylor, Martin and other companies are simultaneously "changing their policies" to increase profits, then they will be guilty of price fixing.

We went through this a few years ago:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/national-music-retailer-accused-of-guitar-price-fixing-scheme-hagens-berman-sobol-shapiro-announces-60752177.html

So, what exactly are these policy changes you're talking about?

Scooter

PedalFreak
01-16-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure where you come up with the Martin brand being "devalued". It's my understanding that overall sales (and high-end sales in particular) are better than ever, in spite of the lingering difficulties in the economy. How exactly does that devalue the brand?

Stores have a right to set their own profit margins. Last time I checked, price fixing was still illegal in America. If Taylor, Martin and other companies are simultaneously "changing their policies" to increase profits, then they will be guilty of price fixing.

We went through this a few years ago:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/national-music-retailer-accused-of-guitar-price-fixing-scheme-hagens-berman-sobol-shapiro-announces-60752177.html

So, what exactly are these policy changes you're talking about?

Scooter

I haven't heard 100% yet. Just have been told by them both that things will be changing. Some of these stores have people going around and blasting all over the net to call this or that store for an immediate 40% off price.

I've heard Taylor is going to be changing policy on who can sell online, similar to what Gibson does. Haven't heard exactly what Martin's plans are yet, other than a couple stores aren't going to be able to get away with the way they've been selling their guitars.

As far as devaluing, Martin says that their X model is worth $4000, but we have MAP policy, so they say you can advertise that product for $2999. Now you have stores putting up "hidden" sites that are going against that MAP policy with guitars at $50-150 over cost. Which is basically telling customers that the product isn't worth $4000, or even $2999, which devalues the instrument or even the brand. It hurts their own store, most all stores that do this do not stay in business long, and it hurts other stores as well.

ScooterD35
01-16-2013, 11:06 AM
I don't know anything about "hidden" sites. The dealers I know follow all of the rules with regard to MAP and publicity.

They do encourage you to "call for more information and to order" at which point they can negotiate any deal they wish. The customer service is extraordinary and the deals are very fair. I understand that there are some dealers that don't want to do the work necessary to cultivate a broad customer base and make their profit from high volume and custom orders but that is certainly their prerogative.

There are also dealers that use surrogates to get around the rules against selling new-with-warranty Martins on eBay. My friends and I have been able to blow the whistle on some of these over the years and our friends at Martin have been very grateful for the help.

While I would applaud Martin taking steps to stop dealers from cheating the internet rules, I can't see them trying to force any dealer to sell only at MAP.

Scooter

ScooterD35
01-16-2013, 11:10 AM
It is a nice idea. I just don't understand why Martin would not want to go the extra mile in this great uke man's memory and give the darn thing bridge buttons! Would it really have cost that much more? Heck, charge $50 more and put them on! I've been ragging on the new Martin concerts and tenors having those dreaded (to me) geared tuners, and they finally at least get the look right with peg heads, and then do this ugly classical guitar bridge tie. One reason I buy Martin is for its tradition and heritage. How can they honor their own heritage when not one tenor uke from their past has this style of bridge? I simply don't understand this decision making. Perhaps it's based on their market research of what customers want, but it pretty much assures that if I buy Martin new builds they will all be sopranos that look like the Martins of old.

(Grumbles about tradition and slinks out the door...)

Since all of Martin's current Tenors have tie bridges, it's very likely that there are no jigs/fixtures to make one with a pin bridge. That means that to make one with a pin bridge, they would have to make the fixtures, reprogram the CNC (for the bridge) and re-tool the line for one model. They would also need to rewrite their care and feeding pamphlet to explain how to install strings with no ball-end into a bridge with pins. All of that would likely bump the price up by a few hundred dollars.

Scooter

pdxuke
01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Since all of Martin's current Tenors have tie bridges, it's very likely that there are no jigs/fixtures to make one with a pin bridge. That means that to make one with a pin bridge, they would have to make the fixtures, reprogram the CNC (for the bridge) and re-tool the line for one model. They would also need to rewrite their care and feeding pamphlet to explain how to install strings with no ball-end into a bridge with pins. All of that would likely bump the price up by a few hundred dollars.

Scooter

Makes perfect sense. And all the more reason to buy a vintage tenor :-)

PedalFreak
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
While I would applaud Martin taking steps to stop dealers from cheating the internet rules, I can't see them trying to force any dealer to sell only at MAP.

Scooter

Yeah, this is really what it comes down to.

Unfortunately the "profit from high volume" doesn't work to well. Most all stores that have tried that haven't succeeded, look at Guitar Center, over $1billion in debt, and they stopped their high volume style selling a couple years ago. And I think the manufacturers are trying to get stores to realize this, because they don't want to lose dealers, and they know they will eventually with the way things are going.

mailman
01-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Not sure, but I just put 3 on order for my shop :D Woohoo! Can't wait for this one! Wish they would've done a pinned bridge though.

:agree: The vintage tenors, IZ's included, would have had pin bridges. I'm surprised Martin decided to make this change for the commemorative....

PedalFreak
01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
:agree: The vintage tenors, IZ's included, would have had pin bridges. I'm surprised Martin decided to make this change for the commemorative....

If I remember right it's like Scooter said, Martin isn't setup right now for pinned bridges on the ukes. To do that for them would probably raise the prices too much.

coolkayaker1
01-16-2013, 03:01 PM
I think the commemorative Iz uke will sell reasonably well.

In Hawaii.

For the rest of the uking public? George Harrison tribute model.

For UU'ers? No tribute model...we make each our own.

Tigeralum2001
01-16-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm not understanding all of the hostility. Like others have said, it's commemorative, not a reproduction. Yes, we all have ideas about how it could be done better. However, I think it might be a nice uke to have. While the price is a little high, it is not out of line. Have you seen what has been done with the mid & upper range ukes lately? Woah, talk about price increases!

I would like one. Will I pay ~$1500? Probably not. I do know that most Martin ukes with inlays sell for a pretty penny, though. Will these? I'm not sure. For the price, I too would rather own a vintage. Since I already have a vintage Martin tenor in near mint shape... well, maybe I will go this route.

Oh, Scooter- if you are reading this, send me the info on the Martin dealers who give a good discount!

edstrummer
01-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Looks pretty cool to me just the way it is. Maybe next year for my 65th you-know-what.
Ed strummer.

ScooterD35
01-17-2013, 08:27 AM
This is a post by a friend of mine in The Four-String Farmhouse over at the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum:

Yes, I might be placing an order even though I'm not a tenor uke fan. Iz's music inspired me to get my first uke and I'm still under his spell. I saved this article years ago and it's a wonderful story of how "Rainbow" was recorded and gained popularity:

Hawaii, He Sang of Thee...and people listened

- Jack Boulware
Wednesday, March 9, 2005

San Francisco writer Jack Boulware is the co-founder of the Litquake literary festival. His articles have appeared in Salon, Playboy, the New York Times Magazine, Wired and The Chronicle. The following is an excerpt from a work-in-progress on the life of the late Hawaiian musician Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

Honolulu, two a.m. Music producer Jon de Mello is sleeping when the phone rings. It's Israel, one of the artists he represents for his Mountain Apple record label. And Israel is wide awake. He often has problems at night because his weight upwards of 700 pounds forces him to sleep while hooked up to an oxygen tank. He tells de Mello he wants to record, right now.

"You got transportation?" asks de Mello. It's difficult for Israel to move around, he needs a few people to help him get dressed, get in and out of places. The studio is about 15 minutes away.

"Yeah," says Israel. "My guys are here." "Get in the car," says de Mello. "I'll meet you over there." In the car, de Mello wonders what he wants to record. They've been discussing a bunch of possibles from a songbook. But it's Israel, you never really know for sure what he's going to do. A traditional Hawai'ian hula. A John Denver song. A theme from a TV show. Could be anything.

A young engineer named Milan Bertosa sits in his recording studio, waiting. He was planning to go home, until some Hawai'ian guy with a lot of letters in his name called up and wanted to record something right away. It's late, Bertosa is tired, but the voice was insistent, saying he only needed half an hour. A knock at the door, and there stands an unimaginable sight. De Mello, whom Bertosa recognizes, stands about five foot two and 100 pounds. Next to him, the largest man he's ever seen, a gargantuan six-foot-six Hawai'ian carrying a ukulele. De Mello introduces the two, they get Israel situated in a chair, and Bertosa starts rolling tape.

Israel leans into the microphone, says: "Kay, this one's for Gabby," and begins gently strumming the uke. His beautiful voice comes in, a lilting "Oooooo," then slips into the opening words of "Over the Rainbow," from "The Wizard of Oz." Bertosa listens behind the glass, and within the first few bars knows it's something very special. He spends most of his time recording lousy dance music. This is otherworldly. An incredibly fat man, elegantly caressing a Hollywood show tune, breaking it down to its roots, so sad and poignant, yet full of hope and possibility. Halfway through the tune, Israel spirals off into "What a Wonderful World," the George David Weiss/Bob Thiele hit made famous by Louis Armstrong, then melts back into "Over the Rainbow." He flubs a lyric, and tosses in a new chord change, but it doesn't matter. It feels seamless, chilling. Israel plays five songs in a row, then turns to de Mello and says, "I'm tired and I'm going home." "Gets up and walks out," says de Mello. "Ukulele and a vocal, one take. Over." Israel never played the song again.

When Israel and de Mello began piecing together his 1993 album Facing Future, they added the demo tape of "Over the Rainbow." Upon release the song took on a life of its own. The familiar melody played in hotels and on rental car radios, in restaurants and bars. Many were moved to tears. If it didn't give you "chicken skin," you were legally dead. The song resonated even more for locals. Some heard its kaona, or hidden subtext, to reflect the sadness Hawai'i felt about having its lands illegally annexed by the United States in 1898. Those who had seen him in concert knew he ended each show with the words, "My name is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, I am Hawai'ian." Israel was one of only 1, 500 full-blooded Hawai'ians left in the world. He was pure, and so was the recording. It bounced around the islands for the next three years.

And then one afternoon, Santa Monica KCRW radio host Chris Douridas cued up "Over the Rainbow" as part of his program "Morning Becomes Eclectic," to cheer up listeners on a rainy day. After it faded out, Douridas announced the 800 phone number on the back of the Facing Future CD. In two days, Mountain Apple received over 2,000 calls from southern California, people crying and asking about the music, many of them stuck on the freeway when they heard it.

Movie producer Martin Brest bought the rights for use in his film, "Meet Joe Black." As the end credits rolled, movie audiences stayed in their seats to listen to "Over the Rainbow." One of America's most recognizable melodies, first made popular by Judy Garland, the tune had always embodied optimism, depicting a world where dreams really do come true. Israel's version was something else entirely: haunting and delicate, stripped down to a lone voice and a ukulele, an unexpected minor chord contrasting, almost unconsciously, against the happy lyrics of wishing upon a star. After the film's premiere in Hawai'i, people were sobbing in the theater.

Producers bought the very same song for "Finding Forrester," "Made," "The Big Bounce," and "50 First Dates," for episodes of "ER," "Providence," "Charmed," and "Party of Five." It aired in an eToys ad during the Super Bowl, and then commercials throughout Japan, Europe, Australia, New Zealand. Although most listeners couldn't remember the name of the artist, it didn't matter. The music was most important, that raw, perfect-pitch voice that hit people right in the heart, touched their emotional core, reminded them how fragile life can be. You heard it once, you never forgot it.

"Rainbow" came to personify Hawai'i to the outside world. Celebrities publicly announced their love of Israel's music: novelists, actors, directors, baseball players, sumo wrestlers. Bruddah IZ was the state's first artist in history to have an album certified gold. Posters and calendars of his face decorated record stores around the world. "Over the Rainbow" became the No. 1 bestselling song downloaded from the World Music section of iTunes. Israel had produced the most recognizable and beloved Hawai'ian song in 50 years. And he didn't live to see any of it.

Jack Boulware can be contacted at his Web site jackboulware.com. E-mail comments about "Slice" to Book Editor Oscar Villalon at ovillalon@sfchronicle.com.

Scooter

pdxuke
01-17-2013, 08:33 AM
You may be interpreting disappointment as hostility. Speaking for myself, my objections are not hostile. I continue to be disappointed at Martin's choices in the finishing of their new line of concert and tenor ukes. And this model disappoints me. Good for Martin if they sell a lot, but I'm not interested, and I feel it appropriate to say why a Martin collector is not interested in a new Martin uke. That's what makes horse racing.

I'm not understanding all of the hostility. Like others have said, it's commemorative, not a reproduction. Yes, we all have ideas about how it could be done better. However, I think it might be a nice uke to have. While the price is a little high, it is not out of line. Have you seen what has been done with the mid & upper range ukes lately? Woah, talk about price increases!

I would like one. Will I pay ~$1500? Probably not. I do know that most Martin ukes with inlays sell for a pretty penny, though. Will these? I'm not sure. For the price, I too would rather own a vintage. Since I already have a vintage Martin tenor in near mint shape... well, maybe I will go this route.

Oh, Scooter- if you are reading this, send me the info on the Martin dealers who give a good discount!

PedalFreak
01-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Love that story Scooter!

I read a really, really long version of that once. Milan Bertosa was on his way home, de Mello calls Bertosa and tells him they're on their way over. Bertosa tells him no way, he's had a long day and on his way home. Then deMello hand's the phone to IZ, who says something like "Please, Mister. I've got this idea and I just have to get it out." deMello tells them he is leaving in 30 minutes. Iz and Bertosa get there in 10 mins (see the story above to fill in what happens), then IZ sits down and records "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

Always loved that the song almost didn't happen, but IZ basically begging Bertosa to let him record it, and Bertosa waiting an extra half hour produced/recorded one of the greatest songs ever.

Skinny Money McGee
01-17-2013, 10:46 AM
As far as devaluing, Martin says that their X model is worth $4000, but we have MAP policy, so they say you can advertise that product for $2999. Now you have stores putting up "hidden" sites that are going against that MAP policy with guitars at $50-150 over cost. Which is basically telling customers that the product isn't worth $4000, or even $2999, which devalues the instrument or even the brand. It hurts their own store, most all stores that do this do not stay in business long, and it hurts other stores as well.

Martin probably has a policy that an "authorized" dealer has to buy X number of units to stay authorized, and I can only imagine that may be a hefty number if true. A policy like that in it of itself, causes the discounting and the dumping of product. With so many fine guitar builders out there now, Martin has a lot of competition in the 4k range. Something is only worth what one is willing to pay. Martin's "list" prices on their ukes seem out of line to me. List price of 400 dollars on a cheap formica soprano uke (oxk), really?

pakhan
01-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Just saw this:

Iz Tenor Martin Uke.. (http://www.martinguitar.com/catalogs/IZ%201T%20Tenor%20Ukulele.pdf)

Anyone gonna take the plunge?

I like the "Numbered In Sequence Without Total", reminds of Big Bang Theory quip "they only made 4000 of these bad boys..."

Tigeralum2001
01-18-2013, 01:43 PM
There was a big thread about it this week. Most people didn't like it as it didn't have a pinned bridge like the classic Martins and it is overpriced.

I would consider it. I love Iz and Martin, but it is over priced...

pakhan
01-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Sorry dude, I missed it and my search didn't pull it up!

pdxuke
01-18-2013, 02:06 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?75457-Commerative-Martin-1T-IZ-to-be-unveiled-at-NAMM

Count me among those who will pass. The design disappoints me. But it's a really nice idea.

foxfair
01-18-2013, 06:26 PM
they dont say anything about limited....
its a commemorative custom edition.

The Big Kahuna
01-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Take a normal Uke, slap a naff decal on the headstock, attach the name of a well loved but ultimately still dead person, wait for the suckers to call.

itsme
01-18-2013, 10:03 PM
They're calling it a signature edition, signed by Iz's widow? Would you buy a John Lennon signature guitar because it was signed by Yoko Ono? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Skrik
01-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Take a normal Uke, slap a naff decal on the headstock, attach the name of a well loved but ultimately still dead person, wait for the suckers to call.

This.

Big business comes calling on Ukeville.

ETA: It's not even solid woods...

strumsilly
01-19-2013, 02:08 AM
Something is only worth what one is willing to pay. Martin's "list" prices on their ukes seem out of line to me. List price of 400 dollars on a cheap formica soprano uke (oxk), really?

played one of their Mexican koa tenors at a Music store recently. $400, solid koa, I was favorably impressed. maybe the one I played was a fluke?

ChrisRCovington
01-19-2013, 02:55 AM
The mexican made Martins are getting some very good reviews. I played a concert in a store and it was very nice. If they made a Mecian koa soprano I would add it to the collection. I'm sure this Iz tenor will be very nice. It has maple back and side with a 'hog top. Sounds very cool to me. A little different. I wish I had the cash for it (and that it was soprano!).

ScooterD35
01-19-2013, 02:59 AM
This.

Big business comes calling on Ukeville.

ETA: It's not even solid woods...

Where did you come up with "not even solid woods"?

This uke is made from solid quilted Mahogany. In fact, the only uke currently produced by Martin that is not made from solid woods is the OXK.

Scooter

ScooterD35
01-19-2013, 03:01 AM
The mexican made Martins are getting some very good reviews. I played a concert in a store and it was very nice. If they made a Mecian koa soprano I would add it to the collection. I'm sure this Iz tenor will be very nice. It has maple back and side with a 'hog top. Sounds very cool to me. A little different. I wish I had the cash for it (and that it was soprano!).

No Maple, it's all solid quilted Mahogany.

Scooter

ScooterD35
01-19-2013, 03:06 AM
There seems to be some confusion about the materials used in this instrument.

From the Martin brochure:

The 1T IZ Commemorative Custom Artist tenor ukulele is a large ukulele with plenty of volume. The body – top, back and sides – of the 1T IZ is crafted from rare quilted mahogany. The top is accented with fine black/white wood fiber purfling and an intricate multi-ply black/white wood fiber rosette. Black wood fiber purfling also accents the back, and the top sports a tor- toise color binding.

The genuine mahogany neck fea- tures an East Indian rosewood fingerboard – 14 frets to the body, 20 frets total - inlaid with mother of pearl dot position markers at the 5th, 7th, 10th, 12th and 15th frets. The tie bridge also is East Indian rosewood. Both the nut and compensated saddle are crafted from black TUSQ®, a synthetic that approximates ebony in appear- ance and ivory in tone.

Scooter

NewKid
01-19-2013, 03:15 AM
If IZ's widow benefits from the sale of the commemorative ukes 'm okay with that. I like the inlay, don't have any problem with the tie bridge, and I think the Peghed tuners are great. Maybe its because I'm new to the instrument and don't have the baggage of vintage expectations.

That said, I would purchase a Collings UT1, with the haircut headstock over this instrument. It's less expensive ($1,170 at Acoustic Music Works) and comes with a great hardshell case as well. Wouldn't mind putting an "IZ" sticker on the headplate.

Skrik
01-19-2013, 04:23 AM
Where did you come up with "not even solid woods"?

This uke is made from solid quilted Mahogany. In fact, the only uke currently produced by Martin that is not made from solid woods is the OXK.

Perhaps they should specify that it is solid woods, then. I have grown used to reading "laminate" unless the top, back and sides are explicitly given as "solid". The only solid specifications on the Martin info-sheet are for the fingerboard and headstock faceplate(!). Why not the top, back and/ or sides?

Two grand? Pshaw!

ScooterD35
01-19-2013, 04:53 AM
With the obvious exception of the HPL (essentially a type of Formica) used in models with an X designation, Martin uses all solid woods on all of their instruments.

Scooter

PedalFreak
01-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Martin probably has a policy that an "authorized" dealer has to buy X number of units to stay authorized, and I can only imagine that may be a hefty number if true.

Nope Martin is a great company. They have some requirements, mainly we need to buy this many from this series, this many from that. But it's only like 12 guitars, it's nothing. But they make such great guitars that most stores order a lot more than our buy in amount.

played one of their Mexican koa tenors at a Music store recently. $400, solid koa, I was favorably impressed. maybe the one I played was a fluke?

Most all of them I've played have sounded and felt great! Only played a couple I thought were duds. I'd feel very comfortable buying one sight unseen :)

If IZ's widow benefits from the sale of the commemorative ukes 'm okay with that. I like the inlay, don't have any problem with the tie bridge, and I think the Peghed tuners are great. Maybe its because I'm new to the instrument and don't have the baggage of vintage expectations.

That said, I would purchase a Collings UT1, with the haircut headstock over this instrument. It's less expensive ($1,170 at Acoustic Music Works) and comes with a great hardshell case as well. Wouldn't mind putting an "IZ" sticker on the headplate.

Marlene will get a couple of the ukes. But then she designates a charity, and a good chunk of the profits go to that charity. It's a really cool setup that Martin has for their signature models. Gibson the artist gets 5% of profits and the first couple/few guitars, so it's more a money making thing. With Martin people are being helped out. I bought a Martin Dan Tyminski D-28, later I found out that $1000 from the guitar went to a smaller fire department from Dan Tyminski's home town. Was a great feeling that I not only got a great guitar, but helped out a fire dept that needed help :)

While Collings are great instruments (wouldn't mind owning a UT1), I personally feel they are overpriced. Bolt On necks, and they are copies of Martin's. Martin's are still using a dove tail neck, which takes a lot of time to do. Price of the IZ is higher because of their charity arrangement, one of the biggest reasons signature model Martins cost more.

PeteyHoudini
01-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Shoot. I missed this thread. Oh boy! I was starting to save money again after buying all my new Martin ukes! I just got my new style 3 today. Does that mean I have to shell out more for another Martin tenor uke to buy! hehehe

I'm still waiting for my new 2K tenor and do my style 2 tenor review. I will pass on the IZ uke. I've got too many Martins now and I don't need another tenor. Still, I like the idea of it. I do like how it has friction tuners. I'm liking those thingees more and more.

Funny, I recently bought the complete box set of "Charlie's Angels" from the 1970s. There are a number of episodes in Hawaii and in one, you can see IZ playing in a band on the beach. Definitely him. I think I saw him in Fantasy Island as well playing in a group at one point somewhere between season 1-3.

@ScooterD35: nice article about IZ! Thanks for posting that.

Petey

PS: though I would have liked Martin Guitars to have announced that are making the new MARTIN BARITONE again!!! There's always hope next year!

AirCanuck
03-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Has anyone had the chance to get a hold of this Uke and play it? I'd really love a review.

sonomajazz
07-25-2013, 06:54 PM
So, what's the latest news re the IZ? Any dealers take delivery yet?

Skinny Money McGee
07-26-2013, 05:02 AM
I personally like the concert scale better, but considering one of these. I like the tie bridge vs bridge pins, and that it has pegheds. It also comes with a hard case, not a gig bag.

Radio Flyer
07-26-2013, 05:41 AM
it's not a hard case, it's a gig bag...a very nice gig bag.

Skinny Money McGee
07-26-2013, 03:59 PM
it's not a hard case, it's a gig bag...a very nice gig bag.
You can call it a gig bag if you want

PeteyHoudini
07-26-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm vegetarian, so I'm glad this new World War 3 tenor uke case is not real leather or whatever pseudo material that it is made of... hehe Yikes, I'm still wearing my Doc Martens shoes till this day! LOL! hehe

I'm still hemming and hawing if I should order a 1T IZ...

Petey

jackwhale
07-27-2013, 06:56 AM
This started as a thread about Martin's Iz model but i couldnt let the remark pass about Collings 'bolt-on' necks. I've looked closely and think they forgot to add the bolt on my Collings--maybe I have a factory second. (I've never seen an acoustic Collings with a bolt-on neck.)

Markr1
07-27-2013, 07:03 AM
I wouldn't think Collings would use a bolt on neck. I have 4 and mine don't have bolts either which in my opinion is a good thing.
This started as a thread about Martin's Iz model but i couldnt let the remark pass about Collings 'bolt-on' necks. I've looked closely and think they forgot to add the bolt on my Collings--maybe I have a factory second. (I've never seen an acoustic Collings with a bolt-on neck.)

Radio Flyer
07-27-2013, 10:11 AM
correctly done 'bolt on' necks are wonderful and on some of the finest guitars made. don't know how they would work on a uke but i bet they would.

Markr1
07-27-2013, 10:31 AM
I could be wrong but I think their are a lot of well known makers that only make bolt on necks on ukes. I didn't know they used the bolt on neck much with guitars. I've had a lot of acoustic guitars over the years and none of them ever had bolt on necks.
correctly done 'bolt on' necks are wonderful and on some of the finest guitars made. don't know how they would work on a uke but i bet they would.

Radio Flyer
07-27-2013, 10:56 AM
there has been some 'snobbery' about glue on and bolt on necks but i think Taylor guitars has about flattened that argument. by the way Taylor has plans for a production of ukuleles in the near future. they made afew customs that were crazy priced but i think the production models will be high quality and fairly priced.

jackwhale
07-27-2013, 11:08 AM
There are fabulous high end ukes and guitars with bolt-on necks. i.e. Compass Rose ukes and guitars. (Rick has previously explained his preference for bolted necks)
I was just pointing out that Collings does not have bolt-on necks.

ScooterD35
07-27-2013, 02:53 PM

Actually, all Collings instruments have bolt-on necks.

Here's an article from Frets.com detailing how easy it is to do a simple neck reset on a Collings.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/NeckReset/CollingsReset/collingsreset.html

Even better, from the Collings site, here are some shop tour slide shows that clearly describe the hybrid mortise/bolt-on neck joint.

http://www.collingsguitars.com/Tour/ukuleles.html

Scooter

jackwhale
07-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Scooter: Thanks somuch for the link and info. Lots of great information about design and construction. A hybrid mortise and bolt neck joint is in every guitar. I've looked several times inside my UT-2K tenor uke and couldn't see a bolt. Then I read:

http://www.collingsguitars.com/craftsmanship.html

The last paragraph states: 'Because they are not subject to the same stresses and/or string tensions as the acoustic guitars, Collings ukulele, mandolin, and electric guitar models use mortise and tenon neck joints that maximize wood to wood contact for the transfer of string energy.'

UkerDanno
07-28-2013, 10:13 AM
looks like the going price is $1499.00...

The Big Kahuna
07-28-2013, 10:19 AM
looks like the going price is $1499.00...

That would buy you a high-end K-Brand, Compass Rose, Mya Moe etc

And none of those will be trying to sell you a Uke with a tenuous and cynical link to a deceased musician who wasn't particularly noted for being a Ukulele "player", rather a singer who merely used the Uke to accompany himself.

Skinny Money McGee
07-28-2013, 11:09 AM

And none of those will be trying to sell you a Uke with a tenuous and cynical link to a deceased musician who wasn't particularly noted for being a Ukulele "player", rather a singer who merely used the Uke to accompany himself.

and none will play or sound like this Martin Tenor either.

holvenstot
07-30-2013, 05:31 PM
There is a lot of good information here. Does anyone know if these have started shipping yet? I placed on on order through my local Martin dealer fairly quickly after the Winter NAMM and was given an estimated delivery date of 8/21 which the dealer says has not changed.

However, I have been keeping up with the availability date on several of the larger vendor websites and note that today GC has slipped their "general availability" date once again, this time to 8/6

I am so excited to be able to give this to her - I was stationed at Pearl during the days of IZ and the family was lucky enough to see him on several occasions. I am about ready to bust into the little "potty dance" routine waiting for it to come in.

Over the years I have ordered a number of "standard" Martin guitars which were already in production and never had to wait more than 2 or three weeks. 6 or 7 months seems like a real long lead time for what is supposed to become a production model. Has anyone seen one in the "wild" yet?

Johnny GDS
07-30-2013, 05:51 PM

A few pics from summer NAMM

Skinny Money McGee
07-31-2013, 01:49 AM

A few pics from summer NAMM

Those pegheds don't look installed properly. Looks to me like they drilled the holes to big, or didn't taper them

kvehe
07-31-2013, 04:20 AM

I'm with the Big Kahuna on this one. If I wanted to buy a Martin tenor, I would buy a Martin tenor. Actually, the more I read the new Martin book, the more this whole IZ uke thing surprises me.

Johnny GDS
07-31-2013, 04:39 AM
Those pegheds don't look installed properly. Looks to me like they drilled the holes to big, or didn't taper them

I agree that it looks like that, but the ferrules are just really shiny and rounded on top, so they look weird in this shot (which I took with my Ipad so its not that great). I played it for a while and it sounded good, but I really wasn't blown away by it honestly. Sometimes stuff like this is kind of like a new Star Wars movie that people hype up and wait in line for days for the first screening, but then you go see it and remember that "oh yeah, its still just a movie".

The Iz model is very nice, and the inlays and stuff are very cool and well done. It had a nice open and rich tone, as to be expected, but it wasn't really "magical". This was also the only uke at the Martin booth, so there was nothing else in their line to compare it to.

Radio Flyer
07-31-2013, 07:11 AM
sweetwater has had two IZ ukes ready for shipment for several weeks, there still there as far as i know.

PeteyHoudini
07-31-2013, 12:43 PM
The Iz model is very nice, and the inlays and stuff are very cool and well done. It had a nice open and rich tone, as to be expected, but it wasn't really "magical". This was also the only uke at the Martin booth, so there was nothing else in their line to compare it to.

You're right. You need to compare it to the other three Martin tenors. I now have all three minus the IZ tenor! I have enough tenors and I'm not sure how different it will sound different from the style 2 tenor.

Petey

Skinny Money McGee
07-31-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm with the Big Kahuna on this one. If I wanted to buy a Martin tenor, I would buy a Martin tenor. Actually, the more I read the new Martin book, the more this whole IZ uke thing surprises me.

You agree with "tenuous and cynical"? the definitions of those words don't match the situation. Plus, 95% of the people who play a uke use it to accompany singing of songs. To insinuate IZ was not all that talented, thus no big deal, is disingenuous at best.

Martin has a long history of commemorative & signature Guitars, since so many in the past and present have played Martins. The Martin Ukes are no different, the IZ, being their first, hopefully not last.

IZ will be in good company. Martin Signature and Commemorative:

The Mamas and The Papas D-28M
John Mayer 00-42SC
Seth Avett D-35
John Sebastian DSS
Trey Anastasio DC / DCE
Ian Anderson 0-28
Gene Autry D-45GA
Joan Baez O-45JB
Dierks Bentley HD Dierks Bentley
Beck D-16BH
Norman Blake 000-18
Norman Blake 000-28B / 000-28
Rory Block OM-40
David Bromberg M-42
Jimmy Buffett LX
Jimmy Buffett 000-JBS / 000-JBP
Jimmy Buffett HD-18JB
Martin Carthy 000-18MC
Rosanne Cash OM-28M
Johnny Cash D-35
Johnny Cash D-42JC
Eric Clapton 000-42M / 000-42M
Eric Clapton 000-28M / 000-28M
Eric Clapton 000-ECHF Bellezza Bianca
Eric Clapton 000-ECHF Bellezza Nera
Eric Clapton 000-28ECB
Eric Clapton 000-42ECB
Judy Collins HD-35SJC / HD12-35SJC
Shawn Colvin M3SC
Elizabeth Cotten 00-18CTN
Jim Croce D-21JC
David Crosby D12
David Crosby D-18DC
Jeff Daniels OM Jeff Daniels
Dion 000CBD
Lonnie Donegan 000-28LDB / 000-28LD
Pat Donohue OM-30DB
Steve Earle M-21
Elliot Easton HD / HDE
Kenny Edmonds (Babyface) 000C-16RB
Cathy Fink M3H
Lester Flatt D-28LF
Dan Fogelberg D-41DF
Peter Frampton D-42
David Gray 000C
Andy Griffith D-18
Stefan Grossman HJ-38
Dave Guard 00-21
Woody Guthrie 000-18WG
Arlo Guthrie 0000-28H
Buddy Guy JC
Merle Haggard 000C-28SMH
Ben Harper HM
Chris Hillman OM
Steve Howe (Yes) MC-38
Steve Howe (Yes) 00-18SH
Eric Johnson MC-40
Tom Johnston Doobie-42
George Jones D-41GJ
Laurence Juber OMC-LJ
Laurence Juber OMC-18
Laurence Juber OMC-28B / OMC-28
Laurence Juber OMC-18VLJ
Laurence Juber OMC
Jorma Kaukonen M-30
Mark Knopfler 000-40S
Mark Knopfler HD-40MK
Jonny Lang JLJCR
Gordon Lightfoot D-18GL
Mike Longworth D-45
Woody Mann MC-18
George Martin M3M
Marcy Marxer MC3H
Dave Matthews DM3MD
John Mayer OMJM
John Mayer OM-28
Del McCoury D-18
Del McCoury D-28DM
Roger McGuinn D-7
Roger McGuinn HD-7
Roger McGuinn D12-42RM
Don McLean D-40DM
John Mellencamp 00-18S / 00-18S
Steve Miller 000C-MR
Steve Miller 000C
Steve Miller 00-37K / 00-37K2
Keb Mo HD-28KM
Geoff Muldaur 00-18H
Graham Nash 000-40Q2GN
Willie Nelson N-20WN
Tim O`Brien 00-18
Tom Paxton HD-40LSH
Tom Petty HD-40 / HD12-40
Diane Ponzio JDP
Diane Ponzio JDP
Elvis Presley D-28 / D-28
Elvis Presley LX
Sugar Ray DSR
John Renbourn OMM
Nick Reynolds 0-18T
Marty Robbins 5-18
Robbie Robertson 00-42K / 00-42K2
Jimmie Rodgers 000-45JR
Roy Rogers OM-45 / OM-45B
Linda Ronstadt 00-42
Peter Rowan 000-40SPR
Richie Sambora OMC-41 / MC12-41
Pete Seeger JSO / J12SO
Bob Shane D-28KTBS / D-28KTBSDG
Kenny Wayne Shepherd JC-16KWS
Paul Simon PS2
Paul Simon OM-42PS
Ned Steinberger DCRNS
Stephen Stills 0-45S
Stephen Stills 000-45S
Stephen Stills D-45SS
Sting SWC
Sting - Sting Mini
Jacques Stotzem OMC
Marty Stuart HD-40MS
Kenny Sultan 000-18
Andy Summers 000C-28
Gerry Tolman CSN
Merle Travis D-28M
Kingston Trio KTRIO
Travis Tritt HDC-40
Ernest Tubb D-35
Jeff Tweedy 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
Dan Tyminski D-28
Porter Wagoner D-41
Kitty Wells HTA
Clarence White D-28CWB
Clarence White D-18CW
Hank Williams Sr. D-28HW
Nancy Wilson HD-35

Pueo
07-31-2013, 02:07 PM

I hope that someday my "mere use" of an ukulele approaches his level of proficiency with the instrument.

kvehe
07-31-2013, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=Skinny Money McGee;1342342]You agree with "tenuous and cynical"? [\QUOTE]

Yep.

Skinny Money McGee
07-31-2013, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=Skinny Money McGee;1342342]You agree with "tenuous and cynical"? [\QUOTE]

Yep.

I'm sure Eric Clapton feels the same way since He's signed on to 6 of them

kvehe
07-31-2013, 05:40 PM
When Iz signs on to one, maybe I'll change my mind.

What would we talk about without stuff like this? :eek:

ScooterD35
07-31-2013, 06:11 PM
From Wikipedia:

Music career

The Makaha Sons of Niʻihau recorded No Kristo in 1976 and released four more albums, including Kahea O Keale, Keala, Makaha Sons Of Niʻihau and Mahalo Ke Akua. In 1982, Kamakawiwoʻole's brother, Skippy, died at age 28 of a heart attack related to obesity. In that same year, Kamakawiwoʻole married his childhood sweetheart Marlene. Soon after, they had a daughter whom they named Ceslie-Ann "Wehi".

The group became Hawaii's most popular modern traditional group with breakout albums 1984's Puana Hou Me Ke Aloha and its follow-up, 1986's Hoʻola. Kamakawiwoʻole's last recorded album with the group was 1991's Hoʻoluana. It remains the group's top-selling CD.

In 1990, Kamakawiwoʻole released his first solo album Ka ʻAnoʻi, which won awards for Contemporary Album of the Year and Male Vocalist of the Year from the Hawaiʻi Academy of Recording Arts (HARA).

Facing Future was released in 1993 by The Mountain Apple Company. It featured his most popular song, the medley "Somewhere over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World", along with "Hawaiʻi 78", "White Sandy Beach of Hawaiʻi", "Maui Hawaiian Sup'pa Man", and "Kaulana Kawaihae".

The decision to record a cover of Somewhere Over the Rainbow was said to be a last minute decision by his producer Jon de Mello and him. Facing Future debuted at #25 on Billboard magazine's Top Pop Catalogue chart.

On October 26, 2005, Facing Future became Hawaii's first certified platinum album, selling more than a million CDs in the United States, according to figures furnished by the Recording Industry Association of America.

On July 21, 2006, BBC Radio 1 announced that "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World(True Dreams)" would be released as a single in America.

In 1994, Kamakawiwoʻole was voted favorite entertainer of the year by the Hawaiʻi Academy of Recording Arts (HARA).

E Ala E (1995) featured the political title song "ʻE Ala ʻE" and "Kaleohano", and N Dis Life (1996) featured "In This Life" and "Starting All Over Again".

In 1997, Kamakawiwoʻole was again honored by HARA at the Annual Nā Hōkū Hanohano awards for Male Vocalist of the Year, Favorite Entertainer of the Year, Album of the Year, and Island Contemporary Album of the Year. He watched the awards ceremony from a hospital room.

Alone in Iz World (2001) debuted at #1 on Billboard's World Chart and #135 on Billboard's Top 200, #13 on the Top Independent Albums Chart, and #15 on the Top Internet Album Sales charts.

Kamakawiwo'ole has become the best selling Hawaiian musician of all time.

Death

Throughout his life, Kamakawiwoʻole suffered from severe obesity and at one point weighed 757 pounds (343 kg; 54.1 st) standing 6-foot-2-inch (1.88 m) tall. He endured several hospitalizations because of health problems caused by his obesity.

Beset with respiratory, heart and other medical problems, he died at the age of 38 in Queen's Medical Center at 12:18 a.m. on June 26, 1997. Kamakawiwoʻole is survived by his widow, Marlene Kamakawiwoʻole, and their daughter, Ceslie-Ann "Wehi".

The Hawaii state flag flew at half-staff on July 10, 1997, the day of Kamakawiwoʻole's funeral. His koa wood coffin lay in state at the state capitol building in Honolulu. He was the third person in Hawaiian history to be awarded this honor, and the only one who was not a government official. Approximately ten thousand people attended the funeral.

Thousands of fans gathered as his ashes were scattered into the Pacific Ocean at Mākua Beach on July 12, 1997. The funeral and the scattering of Kamakawiwoʻole's ashes were featured in the official music videos of "Over the Rainbow" released posthumously by Apple Company; as of July 2013, the videos as featured on YouTube have garnered 85,993,842 views.

On September 20, 2003, hundreds paid tribute to Kamakawiwoʻole as a bronze bust of the revered singer was unveiled at the Waianae Neighborhood Community Center on Oʻahu. The singer's widow, Marlene Kamakawiwoʻole, and sculptor Jan-Michelle Sawyer were present for the dedication ceremony.

Iz takes a short solo at around 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkKOSV1xaVg

On top of all this, he took two of the most beloved songs in American music and made them his own, creating perhaps the most instantly recognizable ukulele tune ever played. All on a Martin tenor Style 1, his instrument of choice.

I can't imagine another musician more deserving of a commemorative Martin Ukulele. His wife was enthusiastically involved in the design and some of the proceeds go to a charity of her choosing in Iz's name.

The idea that there is something cynical or "tenuous" in this is, to me, an absurd notion and is likely born of a lack of knowledge of the man, his talent and his importance to modern Hawaiian music.

Music is about far more than being a flashy technical player of an instrument, IMO.

The musician that can evoke a strong emotional connection/reaction in the listener is lightyears ahead of the hot shot player that can string 1,000 notes together at blinding speed. That's why relatively few people have ever heard of Allan Holdsworth, but everyone knows who David Gilmour is.

I'll be spending some time with Dick Boak, Martin's Director of Artist Relations on Monday. I'll make a point of asking him how sales of the 1T Iz are going, particularly in Hawaii.

Scooter

Radio Flyer
07-31-2013, 08:05 PM
if i had lots of money i would buy one just to honor him, i'll have to pass but hope they sell very well.

kvehe
08-01-2013, 02:11 AM
I appreciate the detailed responses to my "concerns". I've never had any doubt that the instrument will be a success, and wish nothing but the best for "Mrs. Iz" and her charity. I can't say I've been persuaded, but I certainly understand that this is one of the many issues that can arouse strong feelings on both sides.

Skinny Money McGee
08-01-2013, 02:29 AM
I appreciate the detailed responses to my "concerns". I've never had any doubt that the instrument will be a success, and wish nothing but the best for "Mrs. Iz" and her charity. I can't say I've been persuaded, but I certainly understand that this is one of the many issues that can arouse strong feelings on both sides.

No worries, but when you detail your concerns to the world, positive or negative, expect a response. Kahuna is used to that by now, and It seems he enjoys the derail.

kvehe
08-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Well, sure, that's why we say things. Makes it interesting (as if we need more drama).

darylcrisp
08-01-2013, 07:33 AM
what standard model martin does the IZ model most closely resemble-if any?

d

Raygf
08-01-2013, 09:48 AM
what standard model martin does the IZ model most closely resemble-if any?

d

Here is a link (http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/ukuleles.html) to the Martin ukulele page. The 1T IZ commemorative model is rather unique.

ScooterD35
08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
The closest current model would be the style 2 Tenor.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/ukuleles/item/187-2-tenor-uke.html

It's the only other Mahogany Tenor currently in production.

Scooter

PeteyHoudini
08-01-2013, 10:55 AM
The closest current model would be the style 2 Tenor.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/ukuleles/item/187-2-tenor-uke.html

It's the only other Mahogany Tenor currently in production.
Scooter
And I have one of those "boom baby boom" ukes... very loud!

Petey

darylcrisp
08-01-2013, 12:43 PM
can anyone tell me the size of fretwire on the current martin tenors?

measure it or let me know if its larger than say Kanilea or appears like guitar fretwire, etc.

I actually like this model and its appointments-plus Sweetwater has a 24 month 0 interest plan that I could pop for one-and a very ample 30 day trial/return. I might actually plunge on one of these to check it out. Quilted woods can sometimes give out some really nice tonal qualities.

d

PeteyHoudini
08-01-2013, 01:06 PM
can anyone tell me the size of fretwire on the current martin tenors?

measure it or let me know if its larger than say Kanilea or appears like guitar fretwire, etc.
d
What do you mean by the size of the fretwire? How much it sticks up from the fretboard or its length?

Petey

darylcrisp
08-01-2013, 05:30 PM
What do you mean by the size of the fretwire? How much it sticks up from the fretboard or its length?

Petey

if you have a dial caliper measure the thickness and the height, that will give me fretwire size-I like larger wire than what Kanilea uses. I have not played a Koaloha or Kamaka but have been told they use larger size wire-know nothing about martin but if I were to make a guess I would think they use regular martin guitar fretwire.

if this helps, I don't like "mandolin" size or vintage size wire.
thanks
d

PeteyHoudini
08-03-2013, 10:20 AM
if you have a dial caliper measure the thickness and the height, that will give me fretwire size-I like larger wire than what Kanilea uses. I have not played a Koaloha or Kamaka but have been told they use larger size wire-know nothing about martin but if I were to make a guess I would think they use regular martin guitar fretwire.

if this helps, I don't like "mandolin" size or vintage size wire.
thanks
d
Sorry, I can't help you out on that. I have many of the modern Martin ukes and the fretwire doesn't seem any different in size from my Brukos, Lanikais, Kalas, Mainland, etc.

Petey

RonT
08-04-2013, 03:48 AM
Have these arrived at any dealers? I see that Elderly has the standard " awaiting arrival..." notation. I'll drive a few miles here in Ohia to see and fond...er,...ah,...hold one.
R