Lotsa Kanileas making their way to the Marketplace

UkueBass23

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts as to why? Seems like a new Kanilea each week is heading up for sale or trade. Is the brand retracting or is the popularity of other brands simply moving ahead. Its a bad time to have UAS and a ton of cash...
They make some very beautiful instruments.
Just throwing the thought out there.

Play on...

GPC

It's a worse time to have UAS and NO cash!!! :p

There's a Kanilea there I'd LOVE to buy. But I can't. *sob*

Last edited:
I think its just coincidence. I saw this on the guitar forums I frequent quite a bit. Every once in a while you just get this big bolus of one certain brand pop up. I don't think that it's necessarily caused by any one thing. I do have one for sale at the moment, but I'm not saying this due to that fact. Of course, maybe it's the fact that I do have one for sale that everyone else decided to put there's up too! It seems that I can never hit the supply/demand chain at the right time! :D

I have noticed the increase in the Kanilea's too. I dont have any explanation, I have liked the few I have tried. If the right one comes along I might just scoop one up.

It may be that people have to sell one of their many ukes and perhaps they know a Kanilea can sell relatively quick.

They have an a different bracing system that is quite different from the traditional bracing. I played one and the sound kind of gets held inside the instrument. It did not project very well.

That Island Tenor is one of my favorites but if I got that and then the bathroom cabinet didn't show up I'd learn all about fretting all the way up the neck.

When I put my tenor up it was because I figured it would generate more cash than some of my other ukes. As a general rule I don't play any of my tenors nearly as much as my concerts. i think Kanilea makes great ukes and I love mine. They are also something that can be sold and then bought later. I have a couple of ukes that if I sold them I'd probably never be able to get another. I also have a satin Kanilea tenor and glossy concert. I'd rather have a glossy tenor - just because the glossy is pretty.

It may be that people have to sell one of their many ukes and perhaps they know a Kanilea can sell relatively quick.

Yeah, there might be some post-xmas cash flow concerns, and I agree with those saying that you can get another one some day.

What with the price increases, I'd be a fool to let mine go, but then again, I only have 4 ukes. Pity me. ;)

I am still confused why you would buy a nice expensive ukulele and then sell it in 6 months..i have seen custom ukes that you wait 1 to 2 years for(being built) sold or traded.. Lol

anyway i am not selling/trading any of my ukes..i probably give it to a relative or someone who will really enjoy a nice uke as a gift>> and will play it like i did..so not selling my Kanile'a..
just my 2 cents..but this only me

I am still confused why you would buy a nice expensive ukulele and then sell it in 6 months..i have seen custom ukes that you wait 1 to 2 years for(being built) sold or traded.. Lol

anyway i am not selling/trading any of my ukes..i probably give it to a relative or someone who will really enjoy a nice uke as a gift>> and will play it like i did..so not selling my Kanile'a..

Lots of reasons to buy/sell/trade:

1. Enjoy trying a variety of ukes, buy used what looks like a good opportunity on the marketplace, play it for a while and sell it. It's a way of "sharing".
2. Sometimes people buy a few ukes and after playing for a while decide that they really don't want or care for soprano/tenor/concert/baritone or whatever and they sell the one or ones of the size/s they don't want.
3. By chance I found some very nice used ukes locally. They were a good deal and nice ukes so I bought them. It left me with far too many ukes so I had to sell some off.
4. Sometimes I just don't "bond" with a particular instrument. Doesn't mean it isn't good or that someone else won't love it, just that it doesn't do it for me personally.
5. Sometimes I realize that I just play certain ukes more than others and I need to thin the herd.
6. OK some of us (like me) probably buy too many ukes. I never buy one I don't like or I wouldn't buy it, but some get played more than others.
7. Somtimes people have circumstances that change and they need money. Having a baby, losing a job, lots of things can make cash seem more desirable than a uke.

1. Enjoy trying a variety of ukes, buy used what looks like a good opportunity on the marketplace, play it for a while and sell it. It's a way of "sharing".
2. Sometimes people buy a few ukes and after playing for a while decide that they really don't want or care for soprano/tenor/concert/baritone or whatever and they sell the one or ones of the size/s they don't want.
3. By chance I found some very nice used ukes locally. They were a good deal and nice ukes so I bought them. It left me with far too many ukes so I had to sell some off.
4. Sometimes I just don't "bond" with a particular instrument. Doesn't mean it isn't good or that someone else won't love it, just that it doesn't do it for me personally.
5. Sometimes I realize that I just play certain ukes more than others and I need to thin the herd.
6. OK some of us (like me) probably buy too many ukes. I never buy one I don't like or I wouldn't buy it, but some get played more than others.
7. Somtimes people have circumstances that change and they need money. Having a baby, losing a job, lots of things can make cash seem more desirable than a uke.

This is a very good explanation, and oh so true! I only have one uke right now because of money, and a lack of time to play...for now...this too shall pass...

Yes, great explanation. Many ukes have passed through my hands and I've reached a point where the ones I have now are all keepers.

Not selling my Kanile'a either.:) But I did let a really nice one go just because I preferred this one. The other one was a SF and had a wonderful deep tone.

Number 4 is very true; I owned a very nice uke by an extremely well-respected builder, and it just didn't speak to me. It stayed in the case while my other insturments got played. So I sold it; the buyer adores it and can't believe I let it go. Different strokes for different folks, and better that instrument be in the hands of someone who really loves it. Conversely, my favorite uke is one I bought from someone here on UU; similarly, I can't believe *he* let it go, but clearly it worked better for me than it did for him.

And number 7 is the truest; ukes are awesome, but can't be exchanged for food and shelter (usually), and sometimes have to be turned into cash.

My family grew up on the Big Island of Hawaii and are Hapa(half Hawaiian and Half Chinese) we were brought up to love the Ukulele and treasure it,growing up poor we knew we were very lucky to own just one,it would be passed down to each younger family member.

Now that we have a better income we can buy more material things than in the past but we still have a respect for the ukulele and treasure each and everyone of them,very hard to sell/trade them

My family grew up on the Big Island of Hawaii and are Hapa(half Hawaiian and Half Chinese) we were brought up to love the Ukulele and treasure it,growing up poor we knew we were very lucky to own just one,it would be passed down to each younger family member.

Now that we have a better income we can buy more material things than in the past but we still have a respect for the ukulele and treasure each and everyone of them,very hard to sell/trade them

I agree with you Rubber Necker..i grew up the same way..

Its a bad time to have UAS and a ton of cash...

or a GREAT time to have UAS and a ton of cash ;) Just depends on how you look at it :)

It's hard buying a custom instrument. Unless you can play something from the builder very close to what you are getting built you don't know what you are going to get. And I think a lot of people have a sound they are looking for and then they get their custom and it's not the sound.

Top Bottom