600 Ukuleles!

LifesShort

Reaction score
An excerpt from a press release on nflcommunications.com:

Before the 2013 Pro Bowl begins, three-time Grammy Award winning pop rock band Train will perform their multi-platinum-certified international hit “Hey Soul Sister” with 600 ukulele players, and “Mermaid” featuring hula dancers, Hawaiian drummers and the Pro Bowl Cheerleaders.

They have a new uke number on their new album that is way better.

Can someone please explain the appeal of Train? Their songs have no hooks or melody not to mention the singers voice is annoying as all get out.

An excerpt from a press release on nflcommunications.com:

Before the 2013 Pro Bowl begins, three-time Grammy Award winning pop rock band Train will perform their multi-platinum-certified international hit “Hey Soul Sister” with 600 ukulele players, and “Mermaid” featuring hula dancers, Hawaiian drummers and the Pro Bowl Cheerleaders.
I'm no football fan -- when is this? I'd like to see that. That'd be really cool.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about Stan's ukes!

And although not a Train fan, this should be cool.

Oh man! Two posts in a row from owners of Chuck Moore ukes, with pictures even. I feel really deprived that I don't have a Mo' Bettah.

As a Hawai'i boy I think it's quite unfortunate that the NFL never utilizes any of the brilliant local talent Hawai'i has to offer. If you are going to have 600 people playing 'ukulele why not have them led by Jake or Uncle Herb instead of a band that gets paid buko bucks to be flown in? Or since there are going to be hula dancers too, why not the Brothers Caz or Keali'i Reichel along WITH Jake? That would be a heck of a good show instead of a cheesy gimmick. One year they had Henry Kapono playing his Wild Hawaiian (rock) music during halftime, but they never even aired it on TV.

As a Hawai'i boy I think it's quite unfortunate that the NFL never utilizes any of the brilliant local talent Hawai'i has to offer. If you are going to have 600 people playing 'ukulele why not have them led by Jake or Uncle Herb instead of a band that gets paid buko bucks to be flown in? Or since there are going to be hula dancers too, why not the Brothers Caz or Keali'i Reichel along WITH Jake? That would be a heck of a good show instead of a cheesy gimmick. One year they had Henry Kapono playing his Wild Hawaiian (rock) music during halftime, but they never even aired it on TV.
That WOULD be awesome. But I will still enjoy it.

It would be wonderful if more ukulele talent -- especially the Hawaiian talent -- got more exposure. I think of a lot of these players as "ukulele god/desses". They are incredible musicians. It kills me when my husband tells me hardly anybody knows of them. They deserve more recognition.

Oh man! Two posts in a row from owners of Chuck Moore ukes, with pictures even. I feel really deprived that I don't have a Mo' Bettah.

See you need another one!

I just hope that they show it. I'd be willing to bet that the football experts will be so busy running their mouths that they don't show it. Or, if they do, it will be just a 30 second clip.

Can someone please explain the appeal of Train? Their songs have no hooks or melody not to mention the singers voice is annoying as all get out.

That is of course all personal opinion, just like mine! I love Train, full of hooks and many great songs. I love Hey Soul Sister too!

Did anyone see this last evening? Thoughts?

I am not a fan of Train, and I was disappointed that the television coverage showed more of the cheerleaders dancing than the awesome children playing the ukuleles or the hula dancers.
Just my :2cents:

Did anyone see this last evening? Thoughts?

I am not a fan of Train, and I was disappointed that the television coverage showed more of the cheerleaders dancing than the awesome children playing the ukuleles or the hula dancers.
Just my :2cents:

Train was terrible. I've head their lead singer a few other times live and he sounds terrible. WAY offkey, that band has some serious studio magic going on.

I watched and thought it was pretty good. It was cool seeing that many kids ukin' away at once. I spotted one playing a Kala and another playing a Pono during a 2-second close-up shot. I would liked to have seen more of the kids and their ukes, but it was nice they were at least part of the show. As a guy, I enjoyed the hula dancers and cheerleaders, and some of the other dancers who seemed to be onstage simply for eye candy.

The game itself was pretty good as Pro Bowls go, and during the evening NBC showed lots of good scenic shots from around the islands.

I tried to find a video of the pregame show online, but without success.

Top Bottom