PDA

View Full Version : The new aquila red series uke sets are on the way: Some volunteers please?

mimmo
01-15-2013, 04:20 AM
Hello Guys,
The new high tech Red Series ukulele sets are here.
They are made following a very new concept: instead to change the gauges of the 4 strings we change the density of each string keeping all the gauges very similar. Why?
Well, the well know rule is: thicker the string, duler the sound.
This is why the 1st string is always brilliant, the second a bit less and third is usaually the worst; i.e. the duller. By mean of different copper powder amount the density of each can be optimized to obtain the best balance. Ukes plays like harps now.

Hello Guys,
The new high tech Red Series ukulele sets are here.
They are made following a very new concept: instead to change the gauges of the 4 strings we change the density of each string keeping all the gauges very similar. Why?
Well, the well know rule is: thicker the string, duler the sound.
This is why the 1st string is always brilliant, the second a bit less and third is usaually the worst; i.e. the duller. By mean of different copper powder amount the density of each can be optimized to obtain the best balance. Ukes plays like harps now.
http://youtu.be/WjtNI-r51Gw

may I, please, ask for a few volunteers ables to test these new sets in a indipendent way? I want 10 guys almost. Expecially those that hate Nylgut and prefere Fluocarbon strings.
Grazie
Mimmo Italy

may I, please, ask for a few volunteers ables to test these new sets in a indipendent way? I want 10 guys almost. Expecially those that hate Nylgut and prefere Fluocarbon strings.
Grazie
Mimmo Italy

pootsie
01-15-2013, 04:28 AM
I would be happy to volunteer. In fact, I just purchased flourocarbons to switch out from all my regular Aquila strings, but I am happy to test out the new stuff.

What do I need to do?

mimmo
01-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Please can you send me a privare message?
Thanks!
Mimmo

UkueBass23
01-15-2013, 04:29 AM
I'm in. You providing the strings? I have flurocarbons on all my ukes at the moment. I did see some info around here and on the web about strings breaking in the new red sets. I'll try anything once.

ScooterD35
01-15-2013, 04:40 AM
I would love to participate in this.

I was planning on changing the strings on my Tenor Koa Fluke from regular Aquila's to Martin flourocarbons this weekend. I'm also planning to replace the stock strings on my new Flea to a set of Martin's as well.

Scooter

ukeeku
01-15-2013, 04:43 AM
I would love to try them on my David Gill Tenor.

Kyle23
01-15-2013, 04:46 AM
I'd like to do this. How would I get involved?

ksiegel
01-15-2013, 04:49 AM
PM sent - thanks for the opportunity to volunteer for this.

-Kurt

mimmo
01-15-2013, 04:52 AM
!!! They are 10 now. Please stop.
Thank you VERY much
To the other guys: I am sorry. I cannot give more sets for these test.
10 Volkunteers are the right number.
Again: thank you very much
BTW: these reds are nothing to do with the Red Series for Low G tuning. The copper quantity is lower so they are robust and hard like fluocarbon strings
I will send out the samples right mid next week
Mimmo

Dan Uke
01-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Oh well...I still have 2 originals that I didn't want to use as I heard of them breaking! I hope this new set is better!

mm stan
01-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Aloha Danny,
I still the original reds that Mimmo gave me to test and it is on the Pohaku and it sounds great and alot better than the wound strings...fo shua have not had Any problems with them

mimmo
01-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Hello guys,
thanbk you VERY much
I have now 11 volunteers.
the sets I wil, send them are all high g tuning, not low G because this kind of set is a new invention and I would like to hear by you, guys, yoiur opinion. The sound is very bright and powerful, maybe some nylon lovers will hate it, maybe not. I will deeply consider all your opinions.
Timing: I need almost 7 days to arange the sets
Grazie mille
Mimmo

mimmo
01-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Hello,,,
the Red Series sets are on the way.
We sent out all the sets to the volunteers right this morning.

be patient a few days.
please remember to stretch each strings by hands just after the installation. To too much please. After a few minutes they develope the best sound. Strangely just after the installation they are dull, after stretching they quikly came out brighter and powerful . Mimmo

mimmo
01-21-2013, 12:30 AM
... my mistake! stretch then NOT too much....
Mimmo

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Can the strings be stretched by hand first before installing them. The reason I ask is because some tuner posts are very small and do not allow for a lot of string windings especially if they stretch too much.

pootsie
01-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Looking forward to it. Comparison vids in the works!

mimmo
01-21-2013, 06:00 AM
never mind, they do not stretch too much More or less it is like the new nylgut version. It stretch less than the old nylgut with a raf surface. After the installation you stetch each string in a gentle way and repeat the operation three, 4 times since they stop to stretch. the sound at the begginning is nothing of special but after a couple of minutes the strings start to became brighter and powerful. I am thinking that maybe thay are excellent on 5 string banjo also. The uke became similar to a resonator uke. I do not thing that these strings are for ever: they are agressive, metal sound and well define spund. nothing of sweet hjere. No serenate under the moon with them. Heavy metal, jazz etc it is ok.
the last world to you, guys. If they are ok we will produce them, if they are not ok.....bye bye.
Mimmo

Cornfield
01-21-2013, 09:18 AM
It's very nice and appreciated that you are developing new string technology and asking for feedback from the forum. May all your endeavors blossom.

mimmo
01-21-2013, 10:36 AM
You see , it is an interesting experience for both . People in this forum are the true experts.
I am waiting very usefull indications, suggestions.
Best regards from rainy italy
Mimmo

pootsie
01-21-2013, 12:02 PM
By the way, Mimmo, can you tell me how your brand name is pronounced?

strumsilly
01-21-2013, 12:31 PM
am I too late. darn, anyway , I put low wound red on a tenor, and I have had no problems ans I really like it.

mimmo
01-21-2013, 07:51 PM
ok Pootsie
http://www.aquilacorde.com/images/aquila.mp3

Aquila mean eagle. :)
Mimmo

pakhan
01-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Sorry for the slight off topic, PM sent to Mimmo on aquillas.

pootsie
01-21-2013, 08:22 PM
ok Pootsie

Mimmo

Thank you!

Kyle23
01-21-2013, 08:56 PM
ok Pootsie

Mimmo

I always thought it was pronounced AH-KEE-LAH. Thanks for the real pronunciation.

Kyle23
01-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Wow that was some fast shipping haha. I'm going to learn how to string up my uke and I'll put em on!

pootsie
01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
There are pots of help threads and vids on that you can search for, Kyle.

Kyle23
01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
I'll do that and hopefully I don't mess up. I've decided before I even got them that I was going to put them on myself and not go to a music place to do it. Seems like a good skill to be good at.

Kyle23
01-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Just put these on. Letting the string stretch a little, but when it was in tune for the brief minute, it sounded fantastic. And they feel better than my other Aquilas too.

pootsie
01-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Since there were lots who did not get these, you should post a vid for sound test if you can.

Kyle23
01-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Since there were lots who did not get these, you should post a vid for sound test if you can.

I can do that! I can't promise I'll be the best option for that since I'm not the best player but I will try for sure.

pootsie
01-23-2013, 04:57 PM
A good idea might be to re-record the song you just posted so the two can go side by side. I am sure the gang would find it helpful. And you are getting better pretty quickly!

Kyle23
01-23-2013, 04:59 PM
The Under the Sea song? Ok, I'll let these strings settle and I'll make the vid asap.

UkueBass23
01-24-2013, 03:32 AM
Just got mine last night, will slap them on tonight and do some sound samples (before and after). Hopefully I can upload them here. There's a thread about how to post sound samples right (hint hint....)?

Macmuse
01-24-2013, 05:02 AM
Sorry I missed an opportunity to test (long before I was infected with UAS I had BTS - beta tester syndrome). I'll look forward to the opinions, results and availability. I switched to Martin fluorocarbons on my Kala soprano lacewood. Generally like them... except for precisely what Mimmo points out - that C sounds dull to me. :(

Sporin
01-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Got my strings today, will string 'em up on my Tenor tonight and start getting them bedded in for a video and sound sample.

http://ukemafia.com/new-aquila-red-series-ukulele-sets/

Gillian
01-24-2013, 08:34 AM
I put Mimmo's newer formula red low-G on a tenor last September and it is still fine and sounding good. No fraying. It also took less time to stretch out.

I like them.

ksiegel
01-24-2013, 09:55 AM
The strings just arrived today - in the midst of general chaos.

I will put them on my Kala Cedar Top Tenor within the next couple of days. I need to do a sound check before and after I change the strings, and we'll see what happens.

Thanks, Mimmo!

-Kurt

Sporin
01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Got mine on, no recording until they settle in for a few days though.

Just a note to anyone with a pin bridge, have some big beads handy. The G and A are quite thin and the little beads I generally use weren't holding under pressure. So I raided my wife's craft supplies and ran the string through and out the sound hole, tied on a bead big enough to not fit back through the bridge hole, and voila!

OK, no more spoilers, thanks Mimmo for the opportunity to demo these, I have high hopes. :D

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/317985_419552781457188_1633043856_n.jpg

Kyle23
01-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Yay everyone is getting them in!

I re-did the video for the fact that I messed up Mimmo's name and wasn't sure who he was until someone told me haha. Here's the new version. Love these strings already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1R-q88pGys

SailingUke
01-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Ok, I got my sample strings earlier in the week and installed them today (Saturday).
I put them on my Fluke figuring there will be plenty of other testers on wood and laminate instruments.
First impressions are positive. The strings stretched quite a bit during the install, but seem to be stable after a short time.
I like the red, looks cool on my abstract fluke. The sound is very nice clear and crisp with nice sustain.
Individual notes sound great and ring, strumming chords full bodied and loud. My Fluke is always loud, but these string sound good.
The only negative to the strings is the feel, I like the feel, but they squeek a little bit. The left hand when sliding (I do a lot of) and the right hand from my thumb strumming.
I am not doing a sound sample as they recording quality probably won't really tell you anything. If you are a string junky you may definitely want to give these a try. The sound is very similar to the clear flourocarbons I have been using. The Fluke had Orca low g and had a slighty mellower sound than the new Aquila Reds. I will continue to play these and let them settle in some more and then post additional thoughts.

Thank you Mimmo, for the quick service and selecting me. BTW, the Thunderguts are the best on my UBass.

mimmo
01-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks. A little suggestion: use a bit of very thin sand paper. The noise drop totally.
The performances increase step by step next days. These strings should became, at the end, clearly brighter than fluocarbon.
Ciso
Mimmo

dnewton2
01-26-2013, 09:19 AM
I got a set of concert sized strings and put them on my Koaloha last night. I found they streched quite a bit when I put them on. I have not played that much on them but my first impression is they are bright. I had Worth Clears on it and I could a difference in the tone right away. They are pretty loud with clear notes. I like them pretty well. To me they feel "hard" when fretting similar to the regular aquilla. Not sure how to discribe it so I daid hard, hind of like they are a high tension string. I like the red color, just looks different. As I play with them more I will update my thoughts.

pootsie
01-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Mine arrived a couple days ago (THANK YOU, MIMMO!) but I have not had a chance yet to do my comparison vid with the nylguts I still have on. I hope to get that done tonight and then put the reds on. Give 'em a couple days to set in and then shoot vid # 2. Looking forward to it.

ksiegel
01-26-2013, 12:49 PM
I just installed the Aquila Red strings on my Kala Cedar Top, and I'm waiting for the strings to stretch a bit.

One of the first things I noticed when I unrolled the strings to put them in the bridge is the stiffness when I went to bend them. Unlike the Aquila Nygluts, these strings are definitely harder, and when you put a bend in the string, it stays bent. I attribute that to the copper in the string.

Next - and I'm surprised it wasn't first - I noticed the diameter of the strings - very thin.
Here are the two A strings next to each other - Please note that the Aquila Red C string is about the same diameter as the Nyglut A string (At least to my untrained eye).

Is that a problem? I don't foresee one, unless the nut slots are too wide.

I played a quick little 12-bar blues on the still stretching strings, and it sounded great. Nice and bright, no stridency at all. I'm going to let the strings stretch for a day or two, playing intermittently, then make a recording of "Act Naturally", which I already recorded once with the same instrument, on the old strings.

But I have to agree with dnewton2 - the strings look way cool.

-Kurt

pdxuke
01-26-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm really looking forward to trying these. I prefer the fluorocarbon strings and these look cool, and I love the concept of them. Leave it to Aquila to be constantly improving things!

pootsie
01-28-2013, 07:07 PM
I got one set recorded, new strings on, ready to record tomorrow after some settling and then take time to edit for easy reference.

They look cool. Really cool. And I think I am liking the sound.

TheCraftedCow
01-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Mine came today. They will go on a Lehua tenor which will be passed around at our weekly Thursday night get together for comments and then the monthly Salem,Oregon meeting so they will get many reviews. Those who now have Worths on their instrument will be the primary participants.

Thank you, Mimmo.

mimmo
01-28-2013, 09:23 PM
All right!
I am proud about you, guys. very good help. well done
Thank you very much.
I have enough answers; they are all positive so and the concusion is that I will introduce the RS set in the market.
I am design the new envelopes.
Timing: 15 days almost
Sets: soprano, concert, tenor baritone ( DGBE tuning; i mean the B & E only) and... the banjouke
were: the first US stock will be available to my old friend Roy T Cone of www.ukuleleworlds.com
that's it
Again: thank you very much for your support
Mimmo Italy

mimmo
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Hoops!
www.ukuleleworld.com
sorry.....

Kyle23
01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Awesome. Very happy I was one of the first to try them out!

Sporin
01-29-2013, 01:18 AM
Yeah, the A & G are very fine, I actually had to use a different bead method to tie them on my pin bridge Islander.

Should have my video up today but I'm very pleased with them, they seem to brighten up the more I play.

UkueBass23
02-01-2013, 04:47 AM
Here's my two cents on the Reds I recieved (many thanks to Mimmo for them). These were strung onto a standard KoAloha soprano that had high-G Martin clears on it, but was in need of a string change anyway.

First impressions:
A more striking initial tone quality to the strings across the board. No real warmth to the tone in comparison to the Martin clears. Purely tactile there is a definite coating on the strings that makes them feel and sound dry. The coating initially makes a sound as you move your fingers across the strings to change chords or positions. They also seem what I am estimating to be about 10% or more, harder than the fluorocarbons. A sensation I did not exactly like at first.
The c and a strings have been difficult to stretch and tune initially. Almost tinny sound when initially plucked. Needs to warm up a bit. And stretch too.

One week in. They are still not tuning as well as another set of fluorocarbons I am breaking in at the same time but the sound is actually growing on me. Still more attack than I am used to but no longer quite as harsh to my ear. In recordings you can hear the initial clearness of the sound at the outset and the tone holds true when the strings are plucked.

I don't think I am a complete covert yet but am no longer thinking about going directly back to the fluorocarbons. Think I will leave these on a while and see if I can get them to warm up just a tad more. Longevity of course is not tested here but they are solid strings. The sound as you rub across with your left hand still leaves a bit to be desired. I don't think I would take sand paper to them as was suggested.

Great strings for a loud sound. Clear attack. Some others might be able to suggest good woods for these. They certainly make my KoAloha project even more than usual. Just a matter of personal preference as to whether you like that better (maybe for playing in groups or in a band) or prefer a slightly softer (but I don't know that I would say more mellow) sound of the clear fluorocarbons (at least the Martins I am used to).

I think these will be a good seller when they are released to the masses. One final note on the visual aspect: very cool to see red strings on a uke, great marketing. Anyone have a Makala Dolphin in red? Do yourself a favor if you are a monochrome type of person. Might look cool on a black one too!

GPC

SailingUke
02-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks. A little suggestion: use a bit of very thin sand paper. The noise drop totally.
The performances increase step by step next days. These strings should became, at the end, clearly brighter than fluocarbon.
Ciso
Mimmo
I used some 6000 grit micro mesh, no squeeks, great feel.

Lalz
02-02-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm very very happy with mine :)

tonet
02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
It would be a very good idea to make a low G tenor set of Aquila Red Series...

ksiegel
02-05-2013, 10:19 AM
As promised, my Sound Check of the Aquila Reds, on the Kala Cedar Top.

http://youtu.be/eT_USx6kqEA

-Kurt

OldePhart
02-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Hey Kurt, those are definitely bright - gives your tenor almost a banjo-like tone. I don't think I'd necessarily want them on most sopranos but on a tenor, yeah, maybe a good option. Nice to have more choices!

John

~dave~~wave~
02-07-2013, 06:49 AM
-Kurt

That was really well done and helpful, Kurt, thanks for taking the time, great A / B comparison with the Nylguts.
They certainly "speak" beautifully on your cedar.

Is it your perception as well that these are a little "harder" or higher tension than the nylguts?

Here's a "New Products 2012" page from Aquila showing the red set configurations with catalog numbers, projected availability and pricing.

Scroll down to see the new red bass strings in three lengths, and all the way at the bottom is the high octave piccolo uke set.

http://www.aquilacorde.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=227&Itemid=1681&lang=en

ksiegel
02-07-2013, 01:18 PM
That was really well done and helpful, Kurt, thanks for taking the time, great A / B comparison with the Nylguts.
They certainly "speak" beautifully on your cedar.

Is it your perception as well that these are a little "harder" or higher tension than the nylguts?

Here's a "New Products 2012" page from Aquila showing the red set configurations with catalog numbers, projected availability and pricing.

Scroll down to see the new red bass strings in three lengths, and all the way at the bottom is the high octave piccolo uke set.

http://www.aquilacorde.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=227&Itemid=1681&lang=en

Hi, Dave. I can't speak for tension - I really don't have enough knowledge to do so. Harder? Oh yes, definitely. I think the strings are harder than the nygluts ANd the Worth Clear fluorocarbons.

They almost feel like steel strings - but not quite. I think that is mostly due to the density and lack of thickness of the strings.

I may just stop by the local music store and pick up a glass slide to try out with them, especially since I won't otherwise be playing a uke for the next 6-8 weeks...

-Kurt

TheCraftedCow
02-07-2013, 10:24 PM
I was one of the fortunate ten. The strings are mounted on a Lehua Classical tenor with PEGHEDS and through the body attachment. It is 17 1/2 inch scale made of solid Acacia blackwood It has been passed around to the members of our weekly group. The larger monthly group meets this coming weekend. All who play it write their opinions in a notebook. So far, there are different opinions. One of our baritone players has the red low D and G strings on it. They are the new formulation.

Sporin
02-12-2013, 05:29 AM
Sound Sample with an Aquila Red Low G with the C, E, A of the full Red Set

Apologies for poor iPhone mic.

https://soundcloud.com/sporin/aquila-red-ukulele-string-set

bmacir
02-17-2013, 11:16 PM
You can read my experience here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?77049-New-Aquila-Red-Series&p=1190973#post1190973)

The Big Kahuna
02-17-2013, 11:29 PM
tl;dr

Quick question for those who have used them. Because of the metallic component in these strings, is there a likelihood that they are in any way abrasive, or is the copper just there to add density ?

bmacir
02-17-2013, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't know how to answer your question, but I would guess that copper is just there for density and it's not abrasive.

I certainly hope so, guess time will tell.

tl;dr

Quick question for those who have used them. Because of the metallic component in these strings, is there a likelihood that they are in any way abrasive, or is the copper just there to add density ?

The Big Kahuna
02-17-2013, 11:52 PM
I fully support experimentation like this, and from what I've heard so far, they might go a long way toward eliminating the "dead C", which even my Kanile'a suffers from. However, I'd have thought a sensible course of action would be to send a box of strings to any of the major manufacturers who expressed an interest in evaluating them. It's great that mimmo sent sets out to UU members, and I don't want to criticise that in any way, but the people who build them are possibly in a better position to highlight any long-term adverse effects, if any were to exist.

bmacir
02-18-2013, 01:08 AM
a sensible course of action would be to send a box of strings to any of the major manufacturers who expressed an interest in evaluating them

Yes that would be a good idea, I think Mimmo will do it, but more realistically it altready happened.

On the subject of long-term adverse effects, you are probably being over preoccupied: why would the red strings be more aggressive? they don't add tension, what varies is the thickness of the string, so it should not be a problem at all.

The Big Kahuna
02-18-2013, 01:15 AM
I was referring to the fact that they have a metallic component and are reported to have a rough texture, not the tension. My concerns are more to do with the potential for excessive wear on frets and fingerboard. If you don't ask, you don't find out.

bearbike137
02-20-2013, 06:28 AM

http://youtu.be/eT_USx6kqEA

-Kurt

Wow - I plan to try them, but they sound WAY BRIGHT - perhaps too bright - for me, based on that video.

TheCraftedCow
02-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Hello Mimmo,
I have the comments from about twenty different people who have played the strings on a solid acacia tenor. I would like to send them to you personally rather than through an open post, so I shall send them as a personal message.

ksiegel
02-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Wow - I plan to try them, but they sound WAY BRIGHT - perhaps too bright - for me, based on that video.

Keep in mind that I'm playing on a cedar top Kala - and that instrument has an extremely bright sound to begin with. If you used the strings on something a little more mellow - mahogany, for example - the sound would also be more mellow.

With more play, the sound should also mellow out, but I'm sidelined with a finger injury for a few more weeks, so won't be able to play until I have the physician's OK.

-Kurt

NewKid
02-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Keep in mind that I'm plying on a cedar top Kala - and that instrument has an extremely bright sound to begin with. If you used the strings on something a little more mellow - mahogany, for example - the sound would also be more mellow.

With more play, the sound should also mellow out, but I'm sidelined with a finger injury for a few more weeks, so won't be able to play until I have the physician's OK.

-Kurt
I agree that the new Red Series formulation does sound brighter and makes your tenor sound more like a soprano. I think that's kind of cool as another sound option on that size ukulele. To me it gave your cedar top more of a traditional ukulele sound. Thanks for the video and I hope your finger is healing quickly.

~dave~~wave~
03-01-2013, 04:10 AM
Sets: soprano, concert, tenor baritone ( DGBE tuning; i mean the B & E only) and... the banjouke
were: the first US stock will be available to my old friend Roy T Cone of www.ukuleleworld.com (http://www.ukuleleworlds.com)
that's it
Again: thank you very much for your support
Mimmo Italy

The red sets are now in stock at Roy Cone's Ukulele World.
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/Aquila-Red/

Bargain hunters keep your hands in your pockets.
There's no 50% discounts and free shipping here.

Cutting edge ukers who want to be the first on your block to try these strings, I ordered Monday night and got them yesterday.

Roy Cone is one of the pioneers of internet ukulele sales.
I bought my first Aquila Nylguts from him over 10 years ago, before they became so popular.

He is a cool guy, an independent small business man.
Mimmo has shown his faith and loyalty to him by giving him the first US stock of his strings.

Enough said.

P.S. - I got a set of low g tenors installed and am favorably impressed, baritones and low g concerts will go on this weekend.

Macmuse
03-01-2013, 04:59 AM
The red sets are now in stock at Roy Cone's Ukulele World.
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/Aquila-Red/

Bargain hunters keep your hands in your pockets.
There's no 50% discounts and free shipping here.

There is, however, a discount if it's the first time you've ever ordered from them. It's not huge, but it helps defray a bit of the shipping. :)

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/Coupon-Corner/

Macmuse
03-02-2013, 07:53 AM
And I should add, I ordered a bunch and he had them packed and shipped THAT VERY AFTERNOON!

According to the tracking, we should be able to string some ukes with the all reds Monday evening. WOW

Pueo
03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I got a set of Low G Tenor Red Series strings from Mimmo - Mille Grazie!
At first I thought they were weird. Very thin, very stiff, and a rough texture. I had only recently discovered Worth clear strings and thought those were going to be my all-time favorites, and the Red series strings are very different from the Worths.
Oh, I also wanted to mention that I am not a big fan of the white Aquila strings, but that is just me.

Anyway, as I played the strings more on my Pono tenor I really liked the sound. They sound crisp, and have good tone. I have become used to the texture. I did not see the advice from Mimmo about sanding them until just now. I used them for my season 53 video if you would like a sound sample.
http://youtu.be/4TAC0PJFPyk

I have Worth Clears on my Kamoa, and go back and forth between the two often. They are different. The Reds seem more - precise? I do agree with the sentiment that the tone is more balanced across the strings.

Great job Mimmo!

Doc_J
03-05-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm hoping these new red Aquila strings will add some brightness while keeping the warmth of the Nylgut.

jontom
03-14-2013, 12:36 AM
guys, here's my two cents to the discussion.
I did a videoreview of the Reds a couple days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjcLM-JEkHk

make sure to activate english subtitles

cb56
03-14-2013, 03:16 AM
Mimmo, it's great that you are doing new and creative things with strings, but PLEASE don't ever discontinue the nylguts. They are my favorite string.

UkeKiddinMe
03-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Mimmo continues to innovate in major ways - in multiple categories of strings.
Aquila Thunderguts/Silver Rumblers have completely changed the equation for UBasses - and they transformed
the Ashbory from toy to pro-worthy instrument.