The Power of Ukulele

I can't watch vid since it's blocked in Finland, but I don't think I'd give to any project that was raising money for United Way. Just do a search, they hit the scandal headlines in 1992, and haven't left, even as late as 2004. I mean it's a nice thought and all, but you don't know how much of that money will be going to kids, or going to line the pockets of United Way execs.

I can't watch vid since it's blocked in Finland, but I don't think I'd give to any project that was raising money for United Way. Just do a search, they hit the scandal headlines in 1992, and haven't left, even as late as 2004. I mean it's a nice thought and all, but you don't know how much of that money will be going to kids, or going to line the pockets of United Way execs.
This is 90% of charity in a nutshell...

I did share this with regards to the money.
It is all about the kids and families whose lives were shattered in the flash of a moment.

Thanks Sailing...

i always forget how "somewhere" is such a powerful song! thxs..

hope things going better for you too! are you playing your beautiful ukes again? i hope so

Not much, I am still not finding joy or comfort in playing.

I did share this with regards to the money.
It is all about the kids and families whose lives were shattered in the flash of a moment.

I'm just saying that the money this is going to raise... the caption says United Way. Well, it's more likely to go into the CEO's pocket for private use. It started with a sex scandal in 1992, and multiple United Way CEOs have had to step down since then, for sort of just using the money for their own enjoyment.

Why does this matter? Because the kids and families you care about... aren't actually getting much of anything. That's not good. Why is it on topic? Because people need to be aware that they need to do some research, before deciding this is a great cause and donating. It might well be a great cause, the problem is, will the money get there.

(I disagree that 90% of charities have this problem. But I agree it's worth investigating before donating anywhere as a general rule.)

Somewhat off topic but if you want to check on the effectiveness/efficiency of a charity, take a look at Charity Navigator, http://www.charitynavigator.org/.

Back to the topic, thanks for sharing the video. The kids' hearts seem to be in the right place.

Somewhat off topic but if you want to check on the effectiveness/efficiency of a charity, take a look at Charity Navigator, http://www.charitynavigator.org/.

Back to the topic, thanks for sharing the video. The kids' hearts seem to be in the right place.
The reason I thought this video was exceptional was the kids singing. After all they have been through I could care less about the charity or its motives.
I am not giving or solicting funds, I just LOVE the kids voices. Seeing and hearing the feeling in their voices brought tears to my eyes.
I feel sorry for all who only look at the negative. My last comment on the subject.

But... it's supposed to help the kid... but may well not. Isn't that something you should care about? It's not being negative for negative's sake. The criticism raised is FOR the kid, not against. This shouldn't be difficult to understand.

Or is it, you don't care where the money goes, as long as the kid has a nice voice? If that's the case, we care about different things.

Awesome video!

Thank you, SailingUke for taking the time to post it I really appreciate it!...

That was very touching. Thanks for posting that.

Top Bottom