How I spent my day

Plainsong

Reaction score
So Joey and I are redoing our first song, It Hurts to be Me, because we've learned so much and there were so many mistakes.... and we have better recording gear now. We're slowly just building it back up. Well, mainly Anders and I are doing that right now while Joey gets better, but she'll have plenty of work to do on the vocal now that she has a better mic. :)

I finally completed the picking part today, using the Apogee Mic on my Koaloha concert. Here's what I learned:

• I breathe passionately with the music
  • I really enjoy rubbing the uke all over my stomach, making a lovely noise against my shirt.
  • My fingers forget what to do when you press the rec button

It led to a time vortex. I went in at 10am and came out at 3, with sore fingers.

But really pleased with the Apogee Mic! The strum part is the Kanilea superconcert plugged into an Apogee Jam. Both parts recorded with an iPad. The strum part - Ampkit+ acoustic, the picking - GarageBand with just a touch of reverb. The mic is positioned about 10 inches away from the lower bout.

The Kanilea has T2 strings on, the Koaloha has Living Water. I figure when Joey hears this, it won't help her Koaloha UAS.

https://soundcloud.com/rockingdodars/it-hurts-to-be-me-uke

How I spent my day... by Apollostowel, on Flickr

Sounds warm and bright! Very nice! Mic sounds really good. Hope to hear more from it! :) Have you got any plans to sing to this track or is it an instrumental?

It's Joey's song, and she's able to kick all sorts of ass with a nice low alto. It's really very different from the Daily Uke vids. I've thought of a harmony, and I'm armed with a pop-filter... it just depends on how it sounds with the final vocal. I really think it could work, so we'll see. The actual song right now has the strum part doubled, the picking part, bass (mostly done, just a retake in a couple sections are needed. I thought I'd record the rehearsal and that turned out to be a good idea), keyboards, and drums Anders wants to see what happens with a bit of fuzz guitar. The guitar sucks a bit though, so it won't be the end of the world if that doesn't work. I just silenced everything but the one strum track and the picking.

In a full song, I like to hear mids and lows as well as highs, and Anders is the same, we like a full sound. But sometimes just isolating the ukes can be nice too. :)

Top Bottom