I don't believe this...

THIS IS FOR THE SERIOUS COLLECTOR/PLAYER AS PETE HOWLETT IS A TOP UKE BUILDER.
nice compliment

and a 180 from the rest of the people i think it is awsome that there are ( well at least 1 atm) people who think your craftmanship is worth so much. if i was looking for a uke and saw this auction i would have /google pete howlett. this auction might give ya more business. as for Vintage. rofl i see stuff from 1995 called vintage. for most people on ebay vintage pretty much means not new =P

anyways imo Congrats!

edit" links says vintage here but it dosent say vintage in the auction but thats still my take on vintage anyways =)

I guess the only thing bad about all this is, that this dude will not be able to knock on any custom uke builder's door again. On the other hand, business is business. But at least it's a sign your star is rising more than it had already done. Next thing you know, you are the Martin of the 1990s ;) Pete Martin? Martin Howlett?

At least he didn't try to bump the price up by insisting that you're dead. ;)

Report him to ebay.It's not hard to file a report.

i concur. and NOW we know what he looks like :p

but on the serious note, thats not even cool to do.

i really hate to ask this, but for what he is selling it for, is it really worth that much? i wouldnt sell a uke for that much ONLY if i just lost my job and i needed it badly. but just for selling it because its worth something isnt smart. SHOWCASE THAT SHIZ!

I don't really see what the problem is. If he can sell it for that why not?

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

If one reported him to Ebay what would be the complaint? Is he breaking any Ebay rule with this acution?

People list vintage Martins for outrageuos prices why can't someone do the same for a prized Howlett?

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

If one reported him to Ebay what would be the complaint? Is he breaking any Ebay rule with this acution?

People list vintage Martins for outrageuos prices why can't someone do the same for a prized Howlett?

Exactly! I feel the same way, if he can get the money for it I say go for it.

I think the point was that this is not one of Pete's, but looks like one. Perhaps I misread Pete's post though.

I think the point was that this is not one of Pete's, but looks like one. Perhaps I misread Pete's post though.

i think its his but hes shocked that someone is trying to sell it for so much. its a compliment if you ask me.

I too don't understand what everyone is complaining about and why there is a need to file a complaint with ebay. From what I have read here, on the ebay listing, on the FMM forum, and on a past craigslist post by this seller, this is an original Howlett. He was asking around for what it's worth, probably to make money off the sale as I think he got it at an estate sale in Kona. If he thinks it's worth that much, what's wrong with the price? If it sells, then he made a good profit. If an ukes value goes up because of it's popularity or collectability, is it wrong for the seller to ask a high price?

This uke is a beautiful uke by Pete and perhaps there is someone willing to pay the price. In Japan, certain ukes sell for twice what they sell in Hawaii, would it be wrong to sell to Japan? Many popular builders have done good business with the Japanese who are willing to pay the higher price, would you call them jerks too?

Kamaka sells the Jake model at a higher price, sure it's a custom, but it's popularity is due to it being the "Jake" model, is that good business or bad business? Are they jerks? Martins to me aren't worth thousands, like a Martin 5K, but to some they are. So if Pete's ukes can sell for more on ebay, that's a good thing. Pete, I hope this brings more business your way. Handcrafted instruments like yours, in my opinion, have been underpriced due to the influx of asian import instruments.

When will people begin to understand why a custom made uke cost $1500, $2000, $3000. I don't want this to be another battle of custom versus non-custom ukes, but please try to understand why luthiers charge more for their custom ukes and why it would be a huge compliment to Mr. Howlett if someone did purchase this uke.

This is genuine dismay folks - I never thought of my self as an icon worth that much. I wish him well. It is a bit of a collectors item if there ever could be such a thing because it looks like a white label which means it has a 'made in the USA' legend on the label made late 1998 or early 1999. However, if it is a silver label then it was made for Collier Thelan's Music Exchange in Hilo and Volcano between 1996 and 1997. Without a seriel number I have no idea. I know I made very few private commisions back then - all my work went to stores in Hawaii, Japan and across the US from Gryphon on the west coast to Buffalo Bros on the east coast.

Wow - this really is a piece of history with its snakehead and twin soundholes. Also notice that in those early days I often made instruments without prefectly matching backs and fronts. This was when I bought sets and would sometimes mess up leaving me with miss-matched parts.

Ahh that clears it up.

For the record Pete - you are an icon. :)

You complained on another thread how other some luthiers were driving the market of ukuleles down. Now you're complaining that one of yours has a high price tag. :confused: :confused::rolleyes::confused:

This is different... new work has known price parameters. I am truly taken aback that someone could think so highly of work so recently undertaken (in the grand scheme of things that is). Very humbling :eek:

Top Bottom