distortion!

luckyends

Reaction score
i have no clue where to pu tthis so i think il drop it here and hope its right

so i was looking into electric ukues (as past threads i have stated) and i was wodnering if i bought an electric acoustic how would it sound if i put distortion on it?
would the sound from the uke clash with the sound from the amp?

thank you for you time to read this
Alex

Hi Alex,

Check out Jake Shimabukuro's Crosscurrent album, that is the one that he goes distortion crazy on - all with an acoustic too, I think. That will give you an idea of how an 'ukulele will sound. I personally don't think it's that great - you just can't really get a good "Santana" distortion sound from an 'ukulele from what I've heard.

The 'ukulele shouldn't clash with the amp, the only problem with distortion is more feedback.

Be careful to not go overboard with the distortion thing. You might as well buy an electric guitar if you are going to play with distortion all the time. Just my opinion...

It ends up sounding like a distorted guitar. If you crank up the amp enough, you won't hear anything coming out of the uke itself. ;)

Distortion is something fun to play with but could get a bit expensive if you're looking for a specific sound. You would need a good pickup if you're using a regular acoustic/electric ukulele. I personally don't think a passive will do but maybe with enough pre-amps and stuff it might be decent.

I got a pretty balanced sound with using distortion but it was a combination of different things. I wanted that nice fat Santana sound but with a little more bite. Almost as if Santana used a strat haha.

The pedal combo I used was a crybaby wah and the Boss metal zone

I set the wah so that I would get nice mids and lows coming out so it cancels all the crazy highs that the ukulele naturally has. Then set the metal zone to have a fat beefy tone. Add a little reverb from the amp and it's good to go.

Experiment around and see what you like. The ukulele is a fun instrument so why not play around every so often right? Hahaha

i have a DM stick on pickup and distortion sounds really bad. I need to try what aldrine said about putting the wah low so the lows come out. Its a fun novalty imo.

Top Bottom