uke and harmonica

wallyboy

Reaction score
anyone use harmonica with uke, i am looking for easy start off song, not got a frame yet if i get on ok i will get one,
thanks,

Wallyboy,

You'll find a number of uke-n-harmonica performances on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cherkcom.

If you're new to the harmonica, try playing along to songs with just the harmonica to start off. When you get comfortable with that, then try playing it with your uke. To me, it's not much different than singing while playing the uke, and people do that all the time. It really comes down to how well you know your instrument. (And it that area, I'm very much still learning!)

- FiL

Before I started playing the ukulele, I had a BAD case of Instrument Acquisition Syndrome with the harmonica. I still have 40 harmonicas. I've played the harmonica with the guitar and the piano, but for some reason, I never got into playing it with the uke. The ukulele got me more into singing.

I also have few you tubes with uke & harmonica, though I haven't done much recently. I echo what Fil says.

My you tube channel is in my sig file.

Wallyboy,

You'll find a number of uke-n-harmonica performances on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cherkcom.

If you're new to the harmonica, try playing along to songs with just the harmonica to start off. When you get comfortable with that, then try playing it with your uke. To me, it's not much different than singing while playing the uke, and people do that all the time. It really comes down to how well you know your instrument. (And it that area, I'm very much still learning!)

- FiL
cheers fil nice job on thr YT vids, i think you gave the right mix of the harmonica, i think the harmonica go's well with the uke, got to wait until monday before i get the harmonica

Before I started playing the ukulele, I had a BAD case of Instrument Acquisition Syndrome with the harmonica. I still have 40 harmonicas. I've played the harmonica with the guitar and the piano, but for some reason, I never got into playing it with the uke. The ukulele got me more into singing.
funny enough wifey and i are off singing to-night, hopefully might improve my singing LOL
I also have few you tubes with uke & harmonica, though I haven't done much recently. I echo what Fil says.

My you tube channel is in my sig file.
cheers tootler

Last edited:
On most of the songs we play that follow a blues turnaround pattern (i.e 99% of rock and roll!) I play cross / blues harp to accompany. I think it goes great with uke.

I have just started jamming out with a friend who has just got into harmonica and we are currently learning Redemption Song, he is chiming in with the lyrics, and I am playing the chords and riff, I'm no harmonica player, but I guess it's pretty simple on his behalf (?), and it definitely is on mine cause the chords and strumming is pretty simple!

Maluhia!

Here is another one I did with harmonica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeK5q1HSvjQ

Cheers
great vid really enjoyed, does sound nice with uke

On most of the songs we play that follow a blues turnaround pattern (i.e 99% of rock and roll!) I play cross / blues harp to accompany. I think it goes great with uke.
yes it does seem to compliment the uke,

I have just started jamming out with a friend who has just got into harmonica and we are currently learning Redemption Song, he is chiming in with the lyrics, and I am playing the chords and riff, I'm no harmonica player, but I guess it's pretty simple on his behalf (?), and it definitely is on mine cause the chords and strumming is pretty simple!

Maluhia!
i hope to be able to play uke and harmonica well to-gether,
there seems so many songs out there to suit both

Here's one with hands-free chromatic harmonica, uke and bass harmonica- then there are some other things that happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6C1B4FIeZM

Dug
looked a lot of fun, sounded good

These ladies absolutely tear it up on When The Levee Breaks, particularly the harmonica. That drummer is so Bonham-esque. She's going to tear some skins back there.

This sounds so awesome that it gives me goosepimples.

Last edited:
Not exactly uke and harmonica. My friend and I started playing together a couple of weeks ago. He's a very accomplished guitar player and took up the harmonica recently after developing nerve damage in his shoulder. He was inspired from my harmonica playing, but I'm doing the uke side. We're working up a song list including "Folsom Prison Blues," "King of the Road," "Apache," "If I Only Had a Brain," "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" and meeting Wednesday to fill it up more.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have lots of fun with that. Key of B (on a D tuned uke) using a E harp played cross harp (key of B). This was from 2011. http://youtu.be/i7JRDARgkFE

I have used a Marine Band Harmonica mounted on a neck holder when our Ukulele Group plays Piano Man by Billy Joel, and also Heart of Gold by Neil Young. Both these songs use a C Harmonica played in C ( not cross harp ).

Sorry I don't have any videos of performances.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:
It's kind of like the organ, where you have one hand on one keyboard and the other hand on another keyboard. The uke is playing the left hand part while the harmonica is playing the right hand part. It's VERY satisfying to be able to be your own accompanist.

Top Bottom