Tuners made for Slotted Headstock?

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was looking at some tuners on Stewmac and noticed some descriptions stated for slotted pegheds while others did not. Does that mean you need to get special tuners for slotted headstocks? They look similar to me but I am not a luthier.

Thanks in advance

Thanks, I like the price of the Grover Sta-Tites but I don't see the Nickel w/ Black Buttons for the slotted headstock. I see the one for Waverly but very pricey for the nickel-ebony. I assume you guys use the guitar size ones vs. ukulele size since I don't see any mention of ukulele tuners for slotted headstocks.

If anyone has any they would like to sell, PM me. Thank you

It is fairly easy to swap out the chrome buttons on the Sta-Tites for others, including the black plastic replacement buttons that Stew-Mac sells. You'll need a heat gun to melt the glue that holds the chrome buttons on and then to heat the shaft in order to melt the new button on.

I recall that Gordon at Mya Moe posted on UU Forums said, when he was asked six months ago about the Schertler tuners used on Mya Moe ukes, that they are guitar Schertlers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv2O-PfdFWU

(begins at 2:11 min)

Thanks Steve

The problem with Guitar tuners is I have to buy a set 6 and have 2 extra...Hopefully one of the luthiers will sell a set of 4. :eek:

I always but 2 sets of slot head guitar tuners. That way I end up with 3 sets for ukes. Problem solved.

No one said this was cheap or easy. Especially when you gotta pay the freight to the other side of the world.

I always but 2 sets of slot head guitar tuners. That way I end up with 3 sets for ukes. Problem solved.

:agree: Exactly, you spend twice as much but you get three times as many sets (for ukes).

You can check the Grover website to see if they offer a given style for slotted headstock - I think they call them "horizontal".

Top Bottom