Cliff Edwards roll

Nicko

Reaction score
Anybody use this backward ... er, forward ... roll that Cliff Edwards used, starting with the index finger and rolling to the pinky?

http://youtu.be/gxMVctFhO88

I swear I'm going to practice this til I get it. Very unnatural, though.

Thoughts, anyone?

N

I learned that one from Ike, and it's definitely the roll that feels most natural to me. Also, with my pinky ending the stroke, it has a light, bright sound that my pinky-to-thumb roll lacks.

Love it. The roll looks pretty straightforward. Gonna add that to my practice--getting the triple down pretty well.

BTW, how about that TECHNICOLOR print. Amazin', no?

Also, hats off to the great Suzy Wandas, one of the best sleight of hand magicians ever.

Last edited:
Looks like he's strumming with his index finger without moving his hand. By keeping his hand still, he gains consistency in the roll. I'm guessing he could do it any number of ways. His left elbow sure is animated. Cool that it's in color.

And...wait...is that woman smoking...in a Disney movie? The horror!

I don't think that one was a Disney movie, was it? He did lots of movies before his Disney career.

I don't think that one was a Disney movie, was it? He did lots of movies before his Disney career.

Starlit Days at the Lido, 1935. Web says it was an MGM production (jeez, how old is that guy?) done as an experiment with color film. They also wanted to get some air time for the Lido Lounge at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.

The woman was a magician, thus the re-appearing cigarette trick.

On a guitar, the technique is called rasgueado. Segovia hated it, but then, he didn't play ukulele. Mastering it is simply a matter of practice.

Seems he wasn't such a big fan of gypsy music either. His loss, I presume, no matter how great he was.

Haha, I never noticed it was a trick with the cigarette, I just thought it was her tapping ash on him!

I have difficulty with the pinky-first roll (unless I'm strumming upwards!) I'll have to try this!

Maluhia!

I love his facial expressions as she keeps pulling lit cigarettes from everywhere. Ha! What a riot! :)

So who was that woman magician? Does anyone know?

Top Bottom