Your Favorite "Ending" Chord?

Kyle23

Reaction score
This may be confusing, maybe not, but what is you favorite chord to end a song? I don't know a ton of chords, but ending on a C sounds perfect in most cases. So what is your favorite chord to end a song on?

Generally ends on the tonic chord -- Cmaj chord for songs in key of C, for example. Depending on the song and your inclinations, perhaps a C7 or Cmaj7 (in key of C). There are other stylings to apply, too.

Of course, it depends on the key. C is a nice ending chord for songs in the key of C but not necessarily for songs in other keys. And it's the nature of chord progressions for a chord to be set up by the chords that precede it. With those qualifications, I like one chord we use sometimes in one of my Hawaiian music classes for meles in the key of F -- F6/9 (2233).

depends totally on the key your playing in and the genre of music I guess. For myself - playing in C - I just love the open-ended, unresolved tension of a CMAJ7

Is the key of C just tuning it to the C setting on the tuner? I thought all ukuleles are supposed to be in C. I have a lot to learn I guess.

Of course, it depends on the key. C is a nice ending chord for songs in the key of C but not necessarily for songs in other keys. And it's the nature of chord progressions for a chord to be set up by the chords that precede it. With those qualifications, I like one chord we use sometimes in one of my Hawaiian music classes for meles in the key of F -- F6/9 (2233).
Yes, one of my faves for the key of F ending - I slide 0011 1122 2233.

I also like to use the 2225 D chord for ending Hawaiian songs in D.

C or csus4 sounds good

Is the key of C just tuning it to the C setting on the tuner? I thought all ukuleles are supposed to be in C. I have a lot to learn I guess.
Yes, "C Tuning" refers to the standard GCEA tuning of the strings. But songs can be in any key, and you may transpose songs from one key to another to suit your vocal range. As you play more you will find out. Generally, if the song you are playing starts and ends with the same chord, the song will be in that key.

For a lot of songs I like to end with the tonic, tonic sus, tonic progression - throwing that suspended in there kind of says "we're done now" :)

John

When referring to the a song in the key of C, you are talking about the song itself, not the instruent which isplaying it. A standard ue is tuned to C, but they can also be tuned to B flat or up to D, uually to suit your vocal range of harmonize better with other instruments.

Every song will have key signature if you look at the sheet music. The number of sharps or flats in the key signature deteremines what key the song is in.....C=no sharps (#) or flats (b), G= 1#, D=2#, F=1b, Bb=2b. A general rule of thumb is most songs usually start with the chord for the key of the song. So if a song start with g chord, it's likely in the key of G.

Yeah....it gets complicated, but it will become second natue the more you play.

When referring to the a song in the key of C, you are talking about the song itself, not the instruent which isplaying it. A standard ue is tuned to C, but they can also be tuned to B flat or up to D, uually to suit your vocal range of harmonize better with other instruments.

Every song will have key signature if you look at the sheet music. The number of sharps or flats in the key signature deteremines what key the song is in.....C=no sharps (#) or flats (b), G= 1#, D=2#, F=1b, Bb=2b. A general rule of thumb is most songs usually start with the chord for the key of the song. So if a song start with g chord, it's likely in the key of G.

Yeah....it gets complicated, but it will become second natue the more you play.

Nice explanation. One cool exception to what might be said to be a somewhat common occurrence that the chord a song begins with is the key of the song is The Beatles' "All MY Loving." I'm not sure what it's original key is, but I play it in C (which is the final chord in the version I play) and the first chord is Dm.

I think the coolest chord I've ended a song with is Db7#9 (6577), also (4414). I used these chords extensively in my version of "Black Coffee". I later learned that some people call this chord the Hendrix chord, or sometimes the "Purple Haze" chord, for fairly obvious reasons. Here's a link to my rendition:

Black Coffee

I think the coolest chord I've ended a song with is Db7#9 (6577), also (4414). I used these chords extensively in my version of "Black Coffee". I later learned that some people call this chord the Hendrix chord, or sometimes the "Purple Haze" chord, for fairly obvious reasons. Here's a link to my rendition:

Black Coffee

Great ending (and whole video). Love that style.

G is my fave

I like endings that are some take on a plagal cadence, but not tooooo amen-y. Always liked voicing that would lead to IV-I. In C, that would be an F-C, but I don't usually do it directly like that.

An easy way to end a song is to play the final chord higher up neck. Example, if the song ends on an F, play it in the third position.

Top Bottom