PDA

View Full Version : anything special about installing Living Water strings

Mxyzptik
01-16-2013, 01:21 PM
My new strings arrived in the mail today Yahoo !Is there anything special for the install ?

hibiscus
01-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Not that I know of, except it takes a long, long time for them to settle in (in my experience).

Tailgate
01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
they are stretchy... I believe Ken suggests that you be patient with them. Might take a couple of days, but when they settle, they are amazing strings.. cheers...

Mxyzptik
01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks all, as I have aged I find that sometimes I actually follow instructions that's all. I had read some different thoughts on stretching them as you install etc.

At the end of the day I just got them on as soon as I could so I can try them out.

laundromatt
01-16-2013, 02:50 PM
My new strings arrived in the mail today Yahoo !Is there anything special for the install ?

Funny you should ask....

I'm not sure what happened when I installed them on my ukulele, but the A string snapped on me overnight. I've never had a string snap on me before, so I was surprised. I've been meaning to contact Ken about this; thanks for the reminder.

I will say, the other three strings sound pretty good (they're still on there).

NewKid
01-16-2013, 03:54 PM
I just put dGBE Living Waters strings on my Mya-Moe Baritone and they are great! Bright, clear, the tension is just right, and none of the strings are wound. I also put a Low-G set (again all non-wound) on my Collings UT-2K, and again they settled right in. I'm now playing twice as long as usual since my instruments have been enhanced by these strings.

Relatively expensive but worth it!

ukemunga
01-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Great strings. I think they come with an installation angel that makes everything alright.

Mxyzptik
01-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Great strings. I think they come with an installation angel that makes everything alright.

Comes from that made in Heaven things I guess,

kaizersoza
01-16-2013, 09:51 PM
don't manually stretch them (bow and arrow style) because it can affect the strings creating flat spots, let them stretch naturally

Depthy
01-16-2013, 10:45 PM
My favorite strings!

note for putting them on, they are slippery. Tuning them up to the bottom A string often slips for some reason as I'm getting close to the pitch and the strings breaks loose (but not in half). To remedy this I make sure to loop the strings at the bridge a few times (3, sometimes 4 times).

also, Ken advises not to stretch the strings.

Louis0815
01-18-2013, 02:42 AM
also, Ken advises not to stretch the strings.In fact, Ken advises not to manually stretch any strings....

When using them on a slotted bridge (e.g. on a Flea), I found a normal "figure 8" knot being sufficient; add two loops through the tuning peg and you're set.
http://either.grossor.net/figure8_knot.png
(Image source: Wikipedia)

On my KA-C I didn't need too many loops at the bridge either:
http://either.grossor.net/ka-c_bridge.jpg