Grizzly question (on behalf of a friend)

tobinsuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
So I have a friend at work who built a Grizzly soprano. I've asked him about it, and said he's having problems tuning it. He has played electric guitar for several years, so he is quite familiar with tuning. I suggested that it was just the nature of nylon (New Nylgut, he got Aquillas for it) strings, and told him they would settle in eventually. The tuners that came with his kit are geared. It has been a couple of WEEKS, and he says he still has trouble tuning it.

He says if he starts at the g string, it is way out by the time he tunes the a string. And (here is the interesting part) he says that when he tunes, if he lays his palm on the top he can feel it move. I think he actually said "twist". Not the joint at the neck or the neck in relation to the body, but the top.

It will be a few days before we are at work at the same time and I can check it out for myself, but I was hoping someone might have some insight. I keep thinking it was poorly (or not at all? Oversights happen) braced? Any thoughts?

Tobin Crooks

Has he tightened up the screw that goes through the gears? If they're slipping under tension, they likely just need to be tightened a skosh.
tuners_geared.jpg

The factory that builds the bodies of these ukes don't pay attention to detail. I am on my third Grizzly assembly. I remove the tops and add solid wood tops. On this one I am currently working on, the top came off almost too easily. The kerfing was half unglued and the single brace and over-sized bridge plate are hardly glued in at all. I wonder if on his uke the same thing is happening and the top is warping on him due to the lack of glue.

Just a thought anyhow.

Dan

Top Bottom