How do I pronounce some of these chords?

LutzSpearo

Reaction score
I know this is a super noob question, but I can't find it on the interwebs.

I read somewhere it is good habit, while practicing, to mentally register what chord I am playing at the moment. So when I'm playing C, I say in my head "C Major", when I'm playing Am, I say in my head "A Minor" and so on. I think a little b means "flat", so Bb is pronounced "B Flat", and B# would be pronounced "B Sharp". But I really don't know how to pronounce some of these, for example: Dm7, C(with a degree symbol next to it, like a temperature), Bbm6, etc.

I want to be able to say in my head, while I'm playing a Bbm6, "Right now I'm playing a <whatever this is called>". Does that make sense? Any help? Thanks!

Well, I can give you Dm7 D minor seventh and Bbm6 B flat minor sixth but not sure about Cº, I think it's C diminished.

The real fun is when you see the little circle and a 7 - the reason being is that technically this would be a C fully diminished seven but many people write that when they mean a C7b5 or "half-diminished seven." If you see a chord with a little theta symbol and a seven (i.e. the 0 with the slash through it) you can be reasonably certain that it is supposed to be the "half diminished" or 7b5 version.

The reason for the confusion is that both chords are valid and have a dimished fifth but they are different - in most cases it won't make a terrible difference unless you are playing with others and you don't all agree what the symbol means :)

A fully diminished seven chord has a minor third, a diminished fifth, and a diminished seventh (one-half step below a dominant seventh, and the same pitch as the sixth).

The "half diminished seven chord" has a minor third, a diminished fifth, and a dominant seventh (and, properly speaking, the C7b5 or "dominant seven flat five is probably the more accurate description, though it's fairly rare to encounter it in published lead sheets.

John

C diminished is correct.
I had that one on Uncle Rods boot camp, always wondered what it was!

Olde phart, sorry cannot work out multiple quotes, but however too much information :)! Majors, sharp, flat I can manage, 5ths, 7ths etc !:confused:
H

I had that one on Uncle Rods boot camp, always wondered what it was!

Olde phart, sorry cannot work out multiple quotes, but however too much information :)! Majors, sharp, flat I can manage, 5ths, 7ths etc !:confused:
H

Ahhh...but one day it will all make sense, grasshopper! :)

Well, I can give you Dm7 D minor seventh and Bbm6 B flat minor sixth but not sure about Cº, I think it's C diminished.

I have never pronounced the "th" in these chords. I have always said D minor seven, or B flat minor six. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it looks like you're supposed to put the "th" at the end. Who knew? Apparently, Fred did. :D

I have never pronounced the "th" in these chords. I have always said D minor seven, or B flat minor six. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it looks like you're supposed to put the "th" at the end. Who knew? Apparently, Fred did. :D

° = "Diminished" (C° = C diminished)
+ = "Augmented" (C+ = C augmented)
m = "Minor" (Cm = C minor)
add = "Added" (Cadd9 = C added 9 or C added 9th)
sus = "Suspended" (Csus4 = C suspended 4 or C suspended 4th)
maj = "Major" (Cmaj7 = C major 7)
b = "Flat" (Cb = C flat)
# = "Sharp" (C# = C sharp)

So things like Cm7 would be "C minor 7". I'm with Seeso here and never pronounce the "th".

Last edited:
Top Bottom