Ukes on the wall

mattydee

Reaction score
So I am looking at getting my ukes off of their stands and out of their cases and up on the wall*. I've watched the UU uke minutes about doing this, and feel confident that I could make that happen, but I'm curious as to what solutions others have come up with. I'm looking at getting about 10 up, on a wall, which will require at least two horizontal levels.

Pics are welcome!

*Yes, I keep the room humidified and hygrometered. (Is that a word?)

All mine hang above my desk (except for an old banjo uke with a skinny head stock). I use something similar to this although mine are grey-coated and cost about $1.50 at Ace Hardware, Lowes, etc. There's a little up-sweep at the end of the tines which acts as a bit of a safety and the spacing between the tines is just about perfection for the standard ukulele neck and head.

http://www.amazon.com/IIT-92754-Sha...8463952&sr=8-5&keywords=screw+in+broom+hanger

All mine hang above my desk (except for an old banjo uke with a skinny head stock). I use something similar to this although mine are grey-coated and cost about $1.50 at Ace Hardware, Lowes, etc. There's a little up-sweep at the end of the tines which acts as a bit of a safety and the spacing between the tines is just about perfection for the standard ukulele neck and head.

http://www.amazon.com/IIT-92754-Sha...8463952&sr=8-5&keywords=screw+in+broom+hanger

I have those gray coated ones as well, in preparation for this project. Did you just screw them straight into the wall, or mount them on wood first?

The places I've chosen to hang from are wood: a shelf above my desk and wainscoting in, ahem, the bathroom. As short as the threads are I believe I'd go into one of those plastic dealies you drive into the wall to screw into drywall, if you can't go into wood. Or make a block that you can screw into. It's great having them out of the way and yet so handy to reach for.

I have those gray coated ones as well, in preparation for this project. Did you just screw them straight into the wall, or mount them on wood first?

Mine is a mix between the uke minutes and amazon ones.
I figured out that if I did 2 rows as close as I wanted to, the top ukes would hit the bar of the bottom ones, hence the different solutions
family-2013.gif

well i just Took a 1x4x8 Oak Board some inch thick Dowel Rods had laying around . Cut the dowels about 3 inch sections , measured and pre drilled and counter sank the holes , i used a dab of wood glue on each dowel , and screwed the wood screw in flush . each 2 dowels about 2 1/2 inched from each other and spaced 12 inched from the next set of 2 i can hang 7 ukuleles / guitars from it

well i just Took a 1x4x8 Oak Board some inch thick Dowel Rods had laying around . Cut the dowels about 3 inch sections , measured and pre drilled and counter sank the holes , i used a dab of wood glue on each dowel , and screwed the wood screw in flush . each 2 dowels about 2 1/2 inched from each other and spaced 12 inched from the next set of 2 i can hang 7 ukuleles / guitars from it
Before that i just had ten penny nails hammered into the wall studs :D

Frequent UU'er paxuke has an idea with this grid design from home box store. Less wall drilling, and more variety of configurations for various uke sizes depending on where one moves the hangers... as he demos well here. Can hang in any direction. Hangers are string/twine/leathers strips. I like the simplicity of his hangers on the R wall, too. I'd do this if my home was humidified.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anWKYvHt364

Last edited:
If it were me, here's how I'd do it:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?75478-I-made-chicken-salad-out-of-chicken-sh**

A little bit of work, sure, but it looks pretty sweet. (The fourth? pic is what I mean.)

Yeah, that pic is what made me start to think hard about doing this. My problem is I am not any kind of woodworker. I believe that the UU uke minutes version is about the best I will be able to do, and Dana's version there is much more awesome than I could hope to make. But yes, it is awesome.

Personally I don't store instruments on the wall via hangers- too many witnessed misshaps for me to risk it. But perhaps the nicest setup I have seen is using decorative doorknobs and a leather strap. For ukes, it's better than guitars as there is much less weight, so I have seen everything from pencils to cantilevered wall brackets!

This was also inspired by the UU minutes:
737470_10151314690761170_1962784354_o.jpg
The only problem I had with this was I underestimated my UAS and did not realize I would be needing room for about 7 more ukes :p

~Mina :eek:

I just screwed them right in, but some people get fancy and put them on boards or find the beams with a stud finder. I had no problems with mine. Those spring toggle bolts work well for dry wall. The best set ups I have seen were in curio type cabinets. You can see them all, and humidify them.

Last edited:
Personally I don't store instruments on the wall via hangers- too many witnessed misshaps for me to risk it. But perhaps the nicest setup I have seen is using decorative doorknobs and a leather strap. For ukes, it's better than guitars as there is much less weight, so I have seen everything from pencils to cantilevered wall brackets!

Um, I LOVE this idea.

Keep 'em coming folks. This is very helpful.

Thanks connor and matty. Just some FYI dimensions to anybody interested in my wall hangers if you choose to go that route. They are spaced 10" apart on center and mounted on a 9 1/2" wide piece of mahogany. They are staggered 3" between centers up and down to offset the height of the ukes. The eliptical Birdseye maple bases are attached with two screws through the back of the mahogany and the entire board is screwed to multiple studs in the wall, not plastic wall anchors. Don't want an expensive mishap! The stud screws are covered with Fastcap mahogany wood stickers.

If you don't have great woodworking skills, you could just buy a length of 1 x 10" poplar at the lumberyard, prime and paint it, and then install the standard oak bases on it that come with the String Swing hangers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom