New Rogue needs tuning pegs...

geracchr

Reaction score
Hello, I got a new Rogue as a starter uke. The instrument is pretty decent for a beginner but the tuning pegs are total plastic junk. I already broke one tightening it slightly more than the standard 1/4 turn.
Here's the thing: What friction pegs would you recommend replacing them with - to give the uke some reliability? (I read Ashbory being recommended.) I want to upgrade enough so that I don't have to be tuning every 3 minutes. Also, are there more elaborate tuning keys I could use?
I almost pulled tuning keys off a "First Act" guitar, but the posts were still too thick for the uke's holes. I appreciate any recommendations to get my uke to stay in tune longer.

Thanks, G

I love my rogue soprano and baritone ukes....I have bought over 15 of them as gifts and have 3 for myself now...they have never ever broke on me though..
I just tighten the phillips screw on the tuning knobs and they hold for me.....what tuning are you using....I suppose you can upgrade....get the spec right though
here are a few....scroll down...http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=ukulele+accessories+pegs good luck and Happy Strummings..

If you need to replace friction tuners on a soprano, GROVER's 2B (or was it 2L...?) are good. They fit all modern ukuleles and are easy to install.

.....wow...just found out it's 2B!

Last edited:
I've almost always had to tune friction pegs with two hands; One holding a screwdriver and the other to hold the peg until I could tighten it so it doesn't slip. There HAS to be a better way...

The Rogue tuning pegs are cheap. Heck, I've purchased some cheap Chinese friction pegs that work better than the ones the Rogue ukes come with. Do a search for friction pegs on eBay. You'll be able to get a set for like $6 from China. It'll take a week or two to get to your house, but they're cheap. Elderly has a set of friction pegs for $11, I think, that are basically the same thing. They do work quite well. I've purchased and used more than 30 sets without any issues.

Dan

If you really like that uke, get the grovers. If you don't like the friction tuners, install geared ones. Not rocket science.

Re:

Thanks everyone for the great tips! I def want to go with geared tuning keys for my baritone. That and some quality strings and I'll be set. :)

Top Bottom