Uke Minutes 5 - How to Restring your Ukulele

nice lesson, i somehow always run into trouble when stringing but all this stuff here at UU is helping me out on that. Quick Question: What is the ukulele brand for the one with the slotted head?

awesome vid. waaaay better than mine hahaha.

one thing missed was a third style of bridge... pin-style. but those usually only come on custom ukes and by the time anyone springs the money for a custom, they would most likely know how to restring their own ukes by then hahaha.

junkie, that other one... believe it or not... is a Lumanog. if you know of the guitars in the philippines, Lumanog is the biggest name in local luthiers.

one thing missed was a third style of bridge... pin-style. but those usually only come on custom ukes and by the time anyone springs the money for a custom, they would most likely know how to restring their own ukes by then hahaha.

junkie, that other one... believe it or not... is a Lumanog. if you know of the guitars in the philippines, Lumanog is the biggest name in local luthiers.

haha no way filipino brand name uke? its perfect for my next purchase these coming months. Thanks nuke

Ah crap update on that. its a Custom ukulele. Man those are nice. and made out of jackfruit? one my favorite fruit

Last edited:

Nuke thanks for reminding me. I gotta link to your video in that post. Also I remember when Aldrine brought home those ukes. I think I laughed how cheap it was considering all the bells and whistles he had put into it.

hmmm a Lumanog? I'm going to the p.i. and was thinking about getting a new uke. Anyone know where and how much it would cost?

the guy lives in cebu i think. And aldrine got it customized just for him, cuz the guy jus made guitars and a few throw in ukes, but with aldrine's he said he took it seriously with em. Wouldn't mind going back to the PI jus to get a uke tho :D and i even think it has a pick up installed.

i think you guys should have included nuke's power winder lol. very informative!

what brand of string does he use for his lumanog?

How often do you change your strings? My niece has an old Favilla and claims it has the original strings. She's had it ten years and it has a lovely light sound. And it's not like nylon rusts or goes off. So, once you've got strings you like, is there really any need to change them at all?

(We are currently trying to get her to restring her uke, given that they might be forty years old. The Duke of Uke in London even gave her a set.)

well usually stock strings aren't the best, so that's pretty lucky of her to get nice strings at the time of purchase, but what i think is when strings get worn out they don't resonate in the sound box as well as new strings and also loose their springiness i guess. I change mine whenever I have time, but i've been counting the months and i change my ukulele strings ever 2 months, but it all depends on how much and how hard you play it.

Just strung a rebuilt tenor this morning and had to come back to this video third time this week to get the threaded bridge knot down (changed strings on son's uke, restrung a soprano for someone and the rebuilt tenor). This video is a godsend for us dyslexic ukers! Doesn't matter how many times I restring ukes, I still get lost.:confused:

I did carve a few peg bridges for the next ukulele project so I don't need to tie anything too fancy.

Dyslexic ukers of the world UNTIE!;)

Top Bottom