PDA

View Full Version : Waltzing Matilda (Queensland version) on sopranino recorder.

pabrizzer
01-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Happy at the end because there had been LOTS of takes (and some swearing). Not without faults but it'll do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6rAabDjddc

kvehe
01-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Cool! Can you do it on a garklein?

pabrizzer
01-18-2013, 07:28 PM
I haven't played for quite a few years and struggled with the sopranino.
I have never actually seen a garklein (apart from pictures) but the size and spacing would mean I'd be in trouble I think.
Do you have one? A demo vid would be great if you do.

kvehe
01-19-2013, 12:02 AM
I have two, but I can't play them. I carry the plastic one around in my purse to amaze people. :D

pabrizzer
01-19-2013, 01:12 AM
I'm going to see if I can get one.
This guy can sure play one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XiHU8To1d0

kvehe
01-19-2013, 06:26 AM
That is certainly something to strive for!

I bought my plastic garklein through Amazon. The other is made of plumwood, and I found it on eBay. I bought (quite) a few recorders on eBay in the fall of 2011 (my RAS was raging). At one point I said to myself, "The only thing left that I need is a plumwood garklein," and lo and behold, there was one on eBay from someone I'd purchased from before. It was meant to be.

March is North American "Play the Recorder Month", with 16 March being "Recorder Day". Supposedly all recorder players in North America will play the Sephardic song "Porque Llorax" on that day. I can send you the music if you'd like to be an honorary North American for a day (or at least for the time it takes to play the song). :D

Edit - I went to the website and saw that, in fact, recorder players **world-wide** will play "Porque Llorax" on 16 March, so even if you don't want to be an honorary North American you can participate. LOL :)

pabrizzer
01-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Hi Kathryn,
Just bought a garklein from eBay - $40 posted from USA - wooden ones are quite expensive.
I have all from sopranino to tenor so it will add to my collection. Whether I will be able to play it is another matter - they are tiny (about 6.5").
All my recorders are Yamahas (best of the 'cheap' recorders IMHO) but the garklein is a Woodnote.
I will look up that piece of music and try to remember to play it on March 16.

kvehe
01-19-2013, 07:20 AM
OMG!! My RAS has reactivated and traveled 9100 miles to infect you!!! Well, I guess if I don't buy any more and you stop at one, it's okay. :D

Let me know when it arrives!

pabrizzer
01-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Downloaded Porque Llorax sheet music - it ain't easy - but working on it.

pabrizzer
02-01-2013, 09:58 PM
OMG!! My RAS has reactivated and traveled 9100 miles to infect you!!! Well, I guess if I don't buy any more and you stop at one, it's okay. :D

Let me know when it arrives!

garklein arrived - very small - I am having most trouble with the lowest note.
Proper little instrument though.