Need Advice: Uke (Mi-Si) to Speaker

bildio

Reaction score
First of all, I'm intrigued with the Mi-Si pickup. So, I have to get one. I thought about installing it myself on my Pono concert, but the uke is too nice to risk my messing it up. So, my next thought is to get a Mainland red cedar concert with the Mi-Si already installed.

I'd like to have a speaker next to me (to compensate for a hearing impairment), so I can listen to the uke output from the speaker. I don't need special effects, just the amplified output of what's coming out of the uke.

I have a Bose SoundDock (amplified speaker). Could I connect the output of the Mi-Si directly to the sound dock? I have GarageBand on my iMac. Could I connect the Mi-Si output to the iMac mic input & use GarageBand to listen on my iMac external speakers? If neither of these are viable options how about either a Roland MicroCube or a Fender Mustang I amplifier? I'd have to purchase the Roland or Fender.

I understand Ponos are great ukes and much appreciated here but I have no personal experience. I do have experience self-installing a MiSi and messing it up in the process.

It went into my Mainland red cedar pineapple. I also bought the MiSi from Mike at Mainland after I bought the uke. So he graciously let me send it back to him and he (or Tookta) fixed it sounds absolutely great.

I think I'd leave the install to someone who knows what they are doing. It's not difficult but it's a bit "precise." If you have the tools and the previous woodworking experience you should be able to do it with no problem, but... stuff happens. One of the critical points is what to do with the extra length of the wire from the pickup. It has to be handled properly and secured inside the instrument in an appropriate spot so as not to interfere with the signal and/or buzz. The sound hole on a uke is a bit tight to get in there and do it properly.

And, that said, I'm sure you'd really like the Mainland red cedar concert with the MiSi already installed properly.

I second Phil's suggestion, and there are some really good in-ear "ear buds" used for in-ear monitoring if you want really good fidelity.

I think I'd leave the install to someone who knows what they are doing. It's not difficult but it's a bit "precise." If you have the tools and the previous woodworking experience you should be able to do it with no problem, but... stuff happens. One of the critical points is what to do with the extra length of the wire from the pickup. It has to be handled properly and secured inside the instrument in an appropriate spot so as not to interfere with the signal and/or buzz. The sound hole on a uke is a bit tight to get in there and do it properly.

And, that said, I'm sure you'd really like the Mainland red cedar concert with the MiSi already installed properly.

Very helpful information - thanks.

I have woodworking tools & skills, but setting up the uke could be a challenge for me as a beginner on the uke. Also, like you say, & I hadn't thought of, is the securing of the wire in the uke, small sound hole, etc.

I think the Mainland is the way for me to go.

Without knowing what tonewood your Pono is, just bear in mind that the red cedar is likely going to sound a whole lot different.

I do want to get a different sound. My Pono concert is mahogany. So, with Mainland it's either red cedar or spruce for something different.

If you have an iPod touch or iPhone, you can pick up something like an iRIG to hook up your MiSi pickup into your iPhone and wear headphones or plug in external speaker into it.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2169VC/A/amplitube-irig

Oh no those are awful. Go with an Apogee Jam, or something that connects to USB/ios. But yes, that can be done. If you need earbuds/in-ear monitors/headphones, the sky's and the wallet is your limit there. :)

Oh no those are awful. Go with an Apogee Jam, or something that connects to USB/ios. But yes, that can be done. If you need earbuds/in-ear monitors/headphones, the sky's and the wallet is your limit there. :)

The Apogee Jam, unlike the headphone amp, would allow me to connect the headphones to my iMac computer, & use GarageBand too.

It may actually be worth investing in an acoustic amp of some sort.
It will do a much better job than regular speakers, headphones, apps, etc.

Most acoustic amps have a headphone output feature anyway.
They don't cost much either!

It may actually be worth investing in an acoustic amp of some sort.
It will do a much better job than regular speakers, headphones, apps, etc.

Most acoustic amps have a headphone output feature anyway.
They don't cost much either!

Or a bass amp, seeing the other thread. I've been pretty happy with my husband's Peavey, not that I use it much.

But as for headphones not being up to the task, well that depends on the headphones. ;)

Cool! I'll have to keep an eye out for those. :)

For a low-tech option try playing facing a corner in a room, about 3 feet away. When I was a kid we used to warm up this way before auditions. Might not get you the volume boost you're looking for, but it's a noticeable increase.

Top Bottom