New Old Uke Back From the Luthier!

Spanalier

Reaction score
I don't think many people saw it, but way back last May I posted about an old ukulele I had found in my closet that belonged to my great great aunt (she died in the late twenties early thirties). It need a pretty decent amount of work, so it kind of got stuffed away in a case until we could take it to some luthiers for appraisal and advice.

Well the first guy we saw was a bust. Told us it wasn't worth it, unless it had sentimental value, and that it'd be $250-$300 to fix, he'd just rather sell me a new one. Way too much. So we went to the luthier I bought my banjo from, who said he didn't think he could take it, but he knew a guy who might be able to. Few months later, we dropped it off with the third guy and last weekend I was finally able to make the hour and a half long drive to pick it up.

It's great. I love it. The luthier said he thought it was pretty nice. It sure sounds nice. I've spent more time playing it than I have my other ukes the past week.

So in the end it went from this (salvaged from a closet where it was probably sitting for decades with some pretty significant damage--crack in the top and a lifting heel)

IMG_0788.jpg

To this (new nut, new pegs, repaired crack, and a repaired heel)

IMG_5985.jpg IMG_5986.jpg IMG_5987.jpg

Sweet! Congratulations on saving a nice little uke!

Very nice looking vintage uke! It is great that you had it repaired and I hope you enjoy it.

I do remember your post. Man, that luthier did a great job. Sometimes the sentimental value is more than worth what you put into it. If I ever find my grandmother's uke, it will be restored.

Dan

...Man, that luthier did a great job. Sometimes the sentimental value is more than worth what you put into it. If I ever find my grandmother's uke, it will be restored.

It's good to keep in mind that while more money is better than less, it is not the reason most of us do what we do. How much did you get paid to sit through your kid's soccer game? But what would it have cost you to miss it? No one could have done that for you.

That said, repairing an old stringed instrument is beyond your capabilities. Someone else will do it for a price. THAT's what money is for.

Glad to see this one saved.

Thanks every one :)

I do remember your post. Man, that luthier did a great job. Sometimes the sentimental value is more than worth what you put into it. If I ever find my grandmother's uke, it will be restored.

I have to say, I was somewhat surprised when I got it back. I mean, I figured it would clean up okay, but not as well as it has.

Top Bottom