Gretsch Vintage

pdxuke

Reaction score
Hi Vintage Lovers:

Anybody have a vintage Gretsch Tenor? I'm considering adding a tenor, and since I don't normally play one, I'm not certain I want to spring for a vintage Martin which would be my first choice.

Anybody?

Are there vintage brands known for their tenors? When I think "Martin", I don't think "tenor".
...Possibly nobody is known for that scale since their popularity is more recent.

Last edited:
Paul, I don't really know the answer to that. I only know that a lot of us think "ukulele" and instantly think "Martin," no matter what the size! :D I've played a Martin vintage tenor and found I liked everything about it it; size of the nut, the friction tuners, the bridge pegs, the sound. I've never played a Gretsch tenor, and thus the question, since they seem to be about $1000 less.

There has been one on ebay forever. $500 or best offer, and still on now.

I'd imagine it'll be a great uke! Never played a Tenor Gretsch, but played a good number of sopranos and they were all great!

Most people making Tenors back then were copying the Martin 1T. The Gibson Tenor's are great instruments too. EQ'd a little different than the Martins, but still a great sound.

I'd imagine it'll be a great uke! Never played a Tenor Gretsch, but played a good number of sopranos and they were all great!

Most people making Tenors back then were copying the Martin 1T. The Gibson Tenor's are great instruments too. EQ'd a little different than the Martins, but still a great sound.

Thank you Aaron--that's very helpful. I appreciate it.

Hmm. Ever played one?

I have not played one either. Actually have only played one tenor ever and not for very long. My personal preference is a soprano uke. In watching the forum over time it appears tenors do seem to be very popular.

I've played one and it was surprising. The fretboard on the one I played was quite narrow, especially for a tenor. It had old strings so I don't know how it would have sounded with nice strings, but I was not overwhelmed by it. A local music store bought a bunch of vintage ukuleles and I went and looked them over and found a Gretsch tenor in the bunch. Hoped it would have blown my socks off, but it didn't. Honestly, I would take a Martin over the one I played, it just felt very run of the mill.

I've played one and it was surprising. The fretboard on the one I played was quite narrow, especially for a tenor. It had old strings so I don't know how it would have sounded with nice strings, but I was not overwhelmed by it. A local music store bought a bunch of vintage ukuleles and I went and looked them over and found a Gretsch tenor in the bunch. Hoped it would have blown my socks off, but it didn't. Honestly, I would take a Martin over the one I played, it just felt very run of the mill.

Thanks, Ryan. Appreciate it.

Top Bottom