what type of wood is this?

banjolelebsi

Reaction score
Hi all

Please can someone tell me what kind of wood this is?
196_0881.jpg196_0877.jpg196_0878.jpg196_0879.jpg196_0880.jpg

I am half way through finishing this neck, my 4th, and still i don't know the wood type.

Thanks

Simon

I've worked with a lot of fir, vertical and slab grain, and that doesn't look like it very much.

The internet is a bad place to get wood ID's. I have to touch, put my thumbnail into it, see real color, grain patterns, chatoyance, even smell wood to get close to some woods.

I've worked with a lot of fir, vertical and slab grain, and that doesn't look like it very much.

The internet is a bad place to get wood ID's. I have to touch, put my thumbnail into it, see real color, grain patterns, chatoyance, even smell wood to get close to some woods.

"touch" Rick I have seen you lick boards in an attempt to identify it. LOL

+1 for taste.

Well,

me first thought wood be one of the firs, probably Douglas although the colour is a tad on the pink side which might actually make it Larch, which is often mistaken for fir and sold and used as fir in construction framing.

next time yer wanting wood ID ...post 3 pics please...fresh cuts of end grain, side grain and face grain wood make it easier to identify... also includeing some sawdust / plane shavings to smell and taste really helps.:drool:

blessings
duh ?adma

Last edited:
"touch" Rick I have seen you lick boards in an attempt to identify it. LOL

Ha ha good one Jake.. i kind of believe you too!

Top Bottom