49th Season of the Ukulele: Every Day Is a Winding Road

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
49th Season of the Ukulele: Every Day Is a Winding Road

This week's theme is straightforward: The title of the song must include one of the days of the week.

Song Choice:

The song title must contain at least one of these words:

Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

"Friday" by Rebecca Black is FORBIDDEN!

I'll put up with the Bay City Rollers. But I won't put up with Rebecca Black. I don't care how campy you want to be -- don't do it, not even as a bonus song. I won't put it in the playlist.

Song titles with plural or contraction versions of the day are okay. For example: "Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays" by Jimmy Buffett is okay. "Tuesday's Gone" by Lynyrd Skynyrd is okay.

By the way, I'm really hoping someone will do the Doobie Brothers' "Another Park, Another Sunday".

It is not okay to just do a song by a band with a day of the week in the band name, such as the Sundays or Taking Back Sunday. The song title itself has to include a day of the week.

Here is a good on-line list I found of songs that fit the theme. It has a couple of errors, like listing Taking Back Sunday as a song when it's the band name.

Days of the Week song titles

Here's a few other songs I happen to like that aren't on the list:

Laundromat Monday - Joe Jackson (from the Mike's Murder movie soundtrack)
Mondays - Black Uhuru
Friday Came - Paula Kelley
Forever Until Sunday - Bruford
A Life of Sundays - The Waterboys
Seventeen Come Sunday - Fairport Convention
Sunday - Sia
Sunday Part II - Cibo Matto

Rules:

• The video must be a new video recorded for this contest.
  • The video must show the song performed in a single take. The ukulele must be the central instrument. No multitracking -- unless you pre-record (or loop) a backing track and then play along to it live. But we need to see you perform the song in one unbroken take.
  • The video must say at the beginning that it is for the 49th Season of the Ukulele. If you forget to say it before your best take of the song, it is okay to insert a short separate video clip or title placard that says this.
  • Videos must be posted to this thread.
  • The contest ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, January 27.

Judging:

Three winners will be chosen randomly. Each person who submits an eligible entry will get one entry in the drawing. My daughter Molly or I will pick the names out of my Fluke gig bag.

Bonus songs will not improve your chances of winning, but as always they will earn you the adulation of your peers.

Prizes:

The first place winner will get first choice of the three prizes, the second place winner will get to choose from the remaining two, the third place winner gets what's left.

1. The T-shirt Prize: T-Rex playing a ukulele, from Redbutton.com. You can choose size and shirt color:

The T-shirt Prize

2. The World Music Prize: A copy of the Rossy CD "One Eye on the Future, One Eye on the Past" (from Madagascar) and a copy of the Chateau Neuf Spelemannslag CD "Stolen Goods" (Norwegian roots big-band music).

3. The American Music Prize: A copy of the Echolyn CD "Cowboy Poems Free" (progressive rock with Americana lyrics), and ukulele EPs by my friends The Bella Birds and Davina Yannetty. Davina sold all her copies of her EP, so we'd talked about me burning a copy, and I'm awaiting her official permission. I'll substitute something else if I don't get it.

------------------------

I hope I can be somewhat prompt about watching everyone's videos and giving feedback. This will depend partly on how much my daughter needs the computer next week for homework. I'll try to keep her from feeding her growing Farmville addiction for a few days. When I hosted in September, I was able to at least listen to a playlist through headphones at work while I did some paperwork tasks. But they've told everyone to stop using YouTube because it was using up too much of our limited bandwidth.

49th Season Playlist

Bonus Tracks

I hope you have fun. I'm also hoping this week will inspire me to finish one of my many half-finished original songs.

Last edited:
How about the title song for this week in honour of Lance and sheryl?

i believe it is lol!!

anyways,, here it is. Sheryl Crow's 98' pop hit

That's a great rendition! Sadly, it doesn't meet the requirement for this week that the song title include one of the days of the week. As an overall theme song for the week, though, it gets the leadoff position on the bonus track playlist.

And this is a bonus U2 rarity, this is called Saterday Night it later became Fire (which I did for fire week). The chords are my interpretation as I don't do tabs ;).

Uke4ia list is not complete, and I would really like somebody taking a stab at this song Saterday night by Herman Brood:

Last edited:
oooo, I got one, it's got some fast chord changes, so i've been practicing all Morning. love the seasons, has me learning a song a week. This week "Tuesday's Dead". not literally .

Everybody who is expecting me to do sunday bloody sunday, I have thought about it, but I already did that for crime week, so my official entry for this week is: Friday is forever by We the kings. Somebody else please do sunday bloody sunday, it should really be in this week.

I hadn't heard this song before. You got that rhythm into a really nice groove. Thanks.

Friday I'm in love:
The voicings sound really nice on the upper part of the fretboard. So if you put a capo on the 5th fret of a guitar to get uke tuning, if you put a capo on the 5th fret of a uke you must get.....a SUPER-UKE!

When I was in my early '20s, I had some tiny rubber bands around from having previously had braces on my teeth. I tried using the rubber bands as capos on a Martin soprano. They didn't work as capos, but they gave the open strings an interesting muted sound.

And this is a bonus U2 rarity, this is called Saterday Night it later became Fire (which I did for fire week). The chords are my interpretation as I don't do tabs ;).

Nice. I've never gone back to hear a lot of the songs that were outtakes on early U2 albums.

So.... Everyone who participates this week could be called a 49er.

Ugh. I'm a Seahawk, not a 49er!

(For our non-American friends, that's a football joke)

I'm always astonished, that some seasons really trigger me, Uke4ia: you got me! Although I got faster and faster during the song ... I had a lot of fun this sunday.

Please hear the 3rd place on German charts from 1973, Cindy and Bert with "Again and again on sundays/Immer wieder sonntags".
A (playable, close by) translation behind the vid.

Every Sunday - Cindy and Bert

Every Sunday came a ship with our band,
far from Athens here to our place.
Every Sunday we loved them much more and
only we will understand this case.

REF:
Again, again on Sundays, my memory blows my mind,
I can hear bouzoukis playing.
like those one we heard at Sunday night,
so happy when we went at home so tight,

Again, again on Sundays, my memory blows my mind
I hear again all our songs playing,
all those one we heard that Sunday night,
when you brought happiness so bright.

Every Sunday night was filled with our band,
songs from Athens here at our place.
And again we will together dance and
hear their musics heart arising grace

Last edited:
Please hear the 3rd place on German charts from 1973, Cindy and Bert with "Again and again on sundays/Immer wieder sonntags".

Thanks a lot, elmann. The change in tempo isn't bad at all, because by the first chorus you're already up to speed. I find it interesting how your strum keeps moving back and forth from the soundhole to the top of the fretboard. Are you using a UkeLeash?

Cindy & Bert never made it to America, so I looked them up on Wikipedia. Turns out they were in the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest, which ABBA won with "Waterloo", which was their first hit in America. But this is the sentence that really got me: "They signed a recording contract in 1969, with singles being regularly issued, notably 'Der Hund von Baskerville', an unlikely cover version of Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' which has become a collector's curiosity." They combined Sherlock Holmes and Ozzy Osbourne? How can you not love that?

Top Bottom