1932 Martin 2M Mint: First Webcam Video Review: Can you hear it well?

Hello All,

I have done other video reviews but after hooking up my MAC as my new "fast" video recording system, I hooked up an external Logitech HD webcam with an internal stereo microphone, connected via USB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EfUjao1BFg

I am curious (I only have really small speakers) how the sound is and more importantly when I play, does the sound, sound ok on the volume level, not over-modulating?

Appreciate the input to make sure I have the settings tuned as I think they should be. This was recorded in Quicktime in HD 1080P and the imported into Final Cut X. It's much easier doing it this way than setting up the camera, the audio recorder, tripod, etc. when it's just me.

Thanks for the input.

Jay, sounds great!

I've been lucky to spend some time with this ukulele, and it is as fine a ukulele as any, new or old, I have ever seen. If you've never played a Martin, and you've read all the hype.....believe it, they are that great. Jay's Martin is just stunning in person!

I am so glad it went to you Jay!

Thanks to you I have it. Always grateful for that lead!

Jay, sounds great!

I've been lucky to spend some time with this ukulele, and it is as fine a ukulele as any, new or old, I have ever seen. If you've never played a Martin, and you've read all the hype.....believe it, they are that great. Jay's Martin is just stunning in person!

I am so glad it went to you Jay!

Wow-what a find and history to go with it! The video is fine-very clear and no problems with the sound-very clear also when you played. Thanks for sharing that amazing uke with us.

Excellent review and find, lucky you. My goal is to one day find a 14 fret Martin Tenor Ukulele in pristine condition, and a nice Martin concert. That would complete my collection.

Ok great, I was concerned as my speakers are super small. The history was just as exciting as the uke to me. Well maybe almost as excited ;-)

Thanks!

Wow-what a find and history to go with it! The video is fine-very clear and no problems with the sound-very clear also when you played. Thanks for sharing that amazing uke with us.

Excellent review and find, lucky you. My goal is to one day find a 14 fret Martin Tenor Ukulele in pristine condition, and a nice Martin concert. That would complete my collection.
There was just a Martin concert on Ebay just this past week or two, only $5000.00 ;-)

I really enjoyed the video and the uke sounds great! Thanks for sharing all the info and history.

There was one detail that did catch my attention, about the Martin logo on the front of the headstock. It could help us more accurately date your uke. If it is in fact a decal (with black border) it might be from a little later.

Martin used an all gold silkscreen from late 1931 to mid 1934. I have a guitar with a 1933 serial number which has a gold silkscreen logo on the front, and the CF Martin stamp on the back of the peghead.

Here is what the silkscreen looks like - no black border, all gold.

3417head.jpg

There is more good info here on the headstock stamps and logo styles. The stamp on the back was through 1934.

http://www.vintagemartin.com/stamps.html

Last edited:
Hi Tigershark, mine is all gold, no black borders. I am not sure Martin followed the same pattern on guitars as the ukuleles as they didn't do serial numbers either but did them on the guitars which is a real bummer! ;-)

I do know on the ukes Martin did not use the rear headstock stamp after 1932, as 1933 and later had just the silkscreen. I wish mine was a 32 Koa...there is one on Ebay right now for $4,800.00. Yikes!

I really enjoyed the video and the uke sounds great! Thanks for sharing all the info and history.

There was one detail that did catch my attention, about the Martin logo on the front of the headstock. It could help us more accurately date your uke. If it is in fact a decal (with black border) it might be from a little later.

Martin used an all gold silkscreen from late 1931 to mid 1934. I have a guitar with a 1933 serial number which has a gold silkscreen logo on the front, and the CF Martin stamp on the back of the peghead.

Here is what the silkscreen looks like - no black border, all gold.

View attachment 47963

There is more good info here on the headstock stamps and logo styles. The stamp on the back was through 1934.

http://www.vintagemartin.com/stamps.html

Serious question,Jay. I have some upper end ukes, too. You have many.

Do you have a special rider on your homeowners policy? I'm worried about, God, a fire.

I never even though ofit, but someone said they added their new Kamaka to their policy on another thread and my reaction was: Doh! Am I the only Homer out here sitting naked?

Last edited:
I do know on the ukes Martin did not use the rear headstock stamp after 1932, as 1933 and later had just the silkscreen.

Do you have a source for that? This is a period of Martin history that I'm interested in and I'm always interested in learning more.

Great question and I never thought about that. Now that I just saw this, I am going to call them and ask. That would really suck if that happened! Double Doh!!

Serious question,Jay. I have some upper end ukes, too. You have many.

Do you have a special rider on your homeowners policy? I'm worried about, God, a fire.

I never even though ofit, but someone said they added their new Kamaka to their policy on another thread and my reaction was: Doh! Am I the only Homer out here sitting naked?

enjoyed the video and review...what a treasure! My only problem is with the low G! I'm kind of a traditionalist, though.

Very nice uke, Jay! Wish you had that at the jam; I would have loved to seen it. Ryan, how do you get such leads? What a great find!

Top Bottom