How many ukes do you have?

How many ukes do you have?

• Total voters
I have too many.

Don't hit me.

Just the 4 that I actually play. It gives me too much stress to see an unloved unplayed instrument. I have plans for one to two more eventually.

Formerly over 20...far more than I had time to play.

Now pared it down to:
KoAloha Pineapple Sunday
KoAloha Tenor Sceptre
Kanilea K1 Tenor
Kanilea Custom Tenor
Kamaka Concert

And its still more than I have time to play.

The over 11 includes 4 Dolphins, which frequently get loaned out. And my daughter has my banjo uke.

The main players are listed in my sig.

(Which doesn't mean I'm done. Oh my, no...)

Been playing (i.e., playing at playing) about 5 mos. I have a low end Eddy Finn tenor that I experiment with -- learning about adjusting action, tuners, etc. I have a Kala KA-S for dragging around behind the car. And a Martin S-1 for driving to church on Sundays and for when polite company drops in.

Am eyeballing the Martin C1K ... Thoughts anyone?

Been playing (i.e., playing at playing) about 5 mos. I have a low end Eddy Finn tenor that I experiment with -- learning about adjusting action, tuners, etc. I have a Kala KA-S for dragging around behind the car. And a Martin S-1 for driving to church on Sundays and for when polite company drops in.

C1K: Been playing one at my local shop. It's next on the list. If I pull the trigger, I will change out the geared tuners to friction tuners.
It sounds WONDERFUL. Comfortable in the hand. It's a Martin, and I am really impressed with these Mexican builds.

C1K: Been playing one at my local shop. It's next on the list. If I pull the trigger, I will change out the geared tuners to friction tuners.
It sounds WONDERFUL. Comfortable in the hand. It's a Martin, and I am really impressed with these Mexican builds.

Agreed on the tuners. Don't even have the uke yet and am already picking out new tuners. I think I'm getting down to a short list, all the members of which are different color combos of those new Gotoh planetary machines.

2 sopranos
2 longneck sopranos
1 concert
1 concert solid body
2 tenors
2 baritones
1 ubass

oh horse feathers! Just realized that I answered 7-10 when I should have answered 11-20 (forgot the eleuke solid body when I was counting). If we count the ones I gave my wife and granddaughter, but are still in the house, that adds another concert and soprano.

Looking to rehome the tenors and one of the longneck sopranos (Kiwaya) but also looking to acquire a third baritone (Pono Koa) and a concert resonator (Mya Moe). Then my ukulele stable will be complete. Yeah...my wife doesn't believe it either! :biglaugh:

John

Tenor Koa Fluke
Tie Dye Concert Flea
FireFly
40's Martin style 1 Soprano
Oscar Schmidt Mousekelele
Light Blue Dolphin (my son's)

My wish list includes the new Martin 1T IZ, and a Martin C1K.

Scooter

Thüring Sopranino
Makala Dolphin
Brüko Shortneck
Kanilea Island Tat Tenor
aNueNue Harp Ukulele

Hhm, just need a nice Concert and I'm complete (playing 2 years). And I'm still in the 4-6 range. :D

nbattaglia: I got a Kiwaya KTC-3 from HMS last week. It's gorgeous, and made in Japan. It comes with Gotoh friction tuners, and not just any old Gotohs, but Deluxe Gotohs (more parts, smooth as glass tuning). Something to consider if you are planning on a Mexi-Martin. The Kiwaya KTC-2 is outstanding, too.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kiwaya.html

Well, I just checked HMS for you, and the concerts are sold out (other than Master Series). They don't last long as many (not all, and I respect that) prefer the Japanese build and Gotoh Deluxes to Martin's current line of concerts. But, do email Andrew at HMS...he has a direct pipeline to Kiwaya USA. Can order you what you want./ Cheers!

Last edited:
Mike, I am ashamed to say that I have many ukes...I have eight Brukos alone! lol

I sell, too, but not as fast as I buy. I'm sure there's a name for that, but I can't think of it now because my head is full of ukuleles to buy next. :)

(Don't forget, Mike--other than the ones from your shop and store, how many ukes do you actually own? Do tell.)

8 in total. I'm trying to decide whether to sell a few to get a really nice one. I have an Islander I've been playing lots recently but both my faves are actually from you Mike - Mainland mango soprano and red cedar concert. They're just such a pleasure to play and so well set up.

nbattaglia: I got a Kiwaya KTC-3 from HMS last week. It's gorgeous, and made in Japan. It comes with Gotoh friction tuners, and not just any old Gotohs, but Deluxe Gotohs (more parts, smooth as glass tuning). Something to consider if you are planning on a Mexi-Martin. The Kiwaya KTC-2 is outstanding, too.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kiwaya.html

Well, I just checked HMS for you, and the concerts are sold out (other than Master Series). They don't last long as many (not all, and I respect that) prefer the Japanese build and Gotoh Deluxes to Martin's current line of concerts. But, do email Andrew at HMS...he has a direct pipeline to Kiwaya USA. Can order you what you want./ Cheers!

Steve, I want pics and a sound sample of that Kiwaya concert. They are superb instruments as you know-- but I wanna see and hear that concert!

I guess in theory, I have five, but the fifth isn't playable, so I won't count that one.

I've got a Kala spruce top tenor (KA-STE-C), a modified tin can resonator concert Kohala (couldn't tell you what model, only that it's cheap and cruddy), a Lanikai LU-21 soprano, and a vintage (20's or 30's) mahogany soprano that is most likely a Lyon & Healy.

And here's how UAS and love of them works:

I go to a local shop to see and play the Martin CK1.

The Martin CK1 is sold.

But they have a Kamaka tenor.

I play. I love.

It's very possible a Kamaka tenor is in my future...

(Rinse. Repeat..)

Chronological order (of my acquisition, not their manufacture):
Lanikai Spruce Top Tenor
Lanikai LU21 Soprano - has been on three continents and is signed by the UOGB
Pono Mahogany Concert
Ohana SK35 Soprano
1930's Banjo Uke, 12.5" scale, so call it a short soprano
Solid Cedar CBU Soprano - built from a solid cedar box
Cedar Sopranino, home built, pineapple shape. 11.6" scale
Solid Cedar-topped CBU Soprano - from a plywood box
Kent Baritone - 1960's or 1970's?
Sub-sopranino still under construction