PDA

View Full Version : How many ukes do you have?

hoosierhiver
01-20-2013, 07:33 AM
How many ukes do you have?
Beginners that have played less than six months and only have one uke don't count.

sukie
01-20-2013, 08:13 AM
I have too many.

Don't hit me.

Plainsong
01-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Just the 4 that I actually play. It gives me too much stress to see an unloved unplayed instrument. I have plans for one to two more eventually.

experimentjon
01-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Formerly over 20...far more than I had time to play.

Now pared it down to:
KoAloha Pineapple Sunday
KoAloha Tenor Sceptre
Kanilea K1 Tenor
Kanilea Custom Tenor
Kamaka Concert

And its still more than I have time to play.

pdxuke
01-20-2013, 08:26 AM
The over 11 includes 4 Dolphins, which frequently get loaned out. And my daughter has my banjo uke.

The main players are listed in my sig.

(Which doesn't mean I'm done. Oh my, no...)

Nicko
01-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Been playing (i.e., playing at playing) about 5 mos. I have a low end Eddy Finn tenor that I experiment with -- learning about adjusting action, tuners, etc. I have a Kala KA-S for dragging around behind the car. And a Martin S-1 for driving to church on Sundays and for when polite company drops in.

Am eyeballing the Martin C1K ... Thoughts anyone?

pdxuke
01-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Been playing (i.e., playing at playing) about 5 mos. I have a low end Eddy Finn tenor that I experiment with -- learning about adjusting action, tuners, etc. I have a Kala KA-S for dragging around behind the car. And a Martin S-1 for driving to church on Sundays and for when polite company drops in.

C1K: Been playing one at my local shop. It's next on the list. If I pull the trigger, I will change out the geared tuners to friction tuners.
It sounds WONDERFUL. Comfortable in the hand. It's a Martin, and I am really impressed with these Mexican builds.

Nicko
01-20-2013, 08:43 AM
C1K: Been playing one at my local shop. It's next on the list. If I pull the trigger, I will change out the geared tuners to friction tuners.
It sounds WONDERFUL. Comfortable in the hand. It's a Martin, and I am really impressed with these Mexican builds.

Agreed on the tuners. Don't even have the uke yet and am already picking out new tuners. I think I'm getting down to a short list, all the members of which are different color combos of those new Gotoh planetary machines.

pdxuke
01-20-2013, 08:46 AM
Agreed on the tuners. Don't even have the uke yet and am already picking out new tuners. I think I'm getting down to a short list, all the members of which are different color combos of those new Gotoh planetary machines.

http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2012/04/martin-c1k-sound-sample.html

Nice sound sample of the Martin.

OldePhart
01-20-2013, 08:58 AM
2 sopranos
2 longneck sopranos
1 concert
1 concert solid body
2 tenors
2 baritones
1 ubass

oh horse feathers! Just realized that I answered 7-10 when I should have answered 11-20 (forgot the eleuke solid body when I was counting). If we count the ones I gave my wife and granddaughter, but are still in the house, that adds another concert and soprano.

Looking to rehome the tenors and one of the longneck sopranos (Kiwaya) but also looking to acquire a third baritone (Pono Koa) and a concert resonator (Mya Moe). Then my ukulele stable will be complete. Yeah...my wife doesn't believe it either! :biglaugh:

John

ScooterD35
01-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Tenor Koa Fluke
Tie Dye Concert Flea
FireFly
40's Martin style 1 Soprano
Oscar Schmidt Mousekelele
Light Blue Dolphin (my son's)

My wish list includes the new Martin 1T IZ, and a Martin C1K.

Scooter

Linho
01-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Thüring Sopranino
Makala Dolphin
Brüko Shortneck
Kanilea Island Tat Tenor
aNueNue Harp Ukulele

Hhm, just need a nice Concert and I'm complete (playing 2 years). And I'm still in the 4-6 range. :D

coolkayaker1
01-20-2013, 11:20 AM

nbattaglia: I got a Kiwaya KTC-3 from HMS last week. It's gorgeous, and made in Japan. It comes with Gotoh friction tuners, and not just any old Gotohs, but Deluxe Gotohs (more parts, smooth as glass tuning). Something to consider if you are planning on a Mexi-Martin. The Kiwaya KTC-2 is outstanding, too.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kiwaya.html

Well, I just checked HMS for you, and the concerts are sold out (other than Master Series). They don't last long as many (not all, and I respect that) prefer the Japanese build and Gotoh Deluxes to Martin's current line of concerts. But, do email Andrew at HMS...he has a direct pipeline to Kiwaya USA. Can order you what you want./ Cheers!

coolkayaker1
01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Mike, I am ashamed to say that I have many ukes...I have eight Brukos alone! lol

I sell, too, but not as fast as I buy. I'm sure there's a name for that, but I can't think of it now because my head is full of ukuleles to buy next. :)

(Don't forget, Mike--other than the ones from your shop and store, how many ukes do you actually own? Do tell.)

Mattyukaholic
01-20-2013, 11:24 AM
8 in total. I'm trying to decide whether to sell a few to get a really nice one. I have an Islander I've been playing lots recently but both my faves are actually from you Mike - Mainland mango soprano and red cedar concert. They're just such a pleasure to play and so well set up.

pdxuke
01-20-2013, 11:39 AM
nbattaglia: I got a Kiwaya KTC-3 from HMS last week. It's gorgeous, and made in Japan. It comes with Gotoh friction tuners, and not just any old Gotohs, but Deluxe Gotohs (more parts, smooth as glass tuning). Something to consider if you are planning on a Mexi-Martin. The Kiwaya KTC-2 is outstanding, too.

Well, I just checked HMS for you, and the concerts are sold out (other than Master Series). They don't last long as many (not all, and I respect that) prefer the Japanese build and Gotoh Deluxes to Martin's current line of concerts. But, do email Andrew at HMS...he has a direct pipeline to Kiwaya USA. Can order you what you want./ Cheers!

Steve, I want pics and a sound sample of that Kiwaya concert. They are superb instruments as you know-- but I wanna see and hear that concert!

Spanalier
01-20-2013, 11:46 AM
I guess in theory, I have five, but the fifth isn't playable, so I won't count that one.

I've got a Kala spruce top tenor (KA-STE-C), a modified tin can resonator concert Kohala (couldn't tell you what model, only that it's cheap and cruddy), a Lanikai LU-21 soprano, and a vintage (20's or 30's) mahogany soprano that is most likely a Lyon & Healy.

vanflynn
01-20-2013, 11:47 AM
5 at home and 3 on temporary or permanent loan.

pdxuke
01-20-2013, 11:50 AM
And here's how UAS and love of them works:

I go to a local shop to see and play the Martin CK1.

The Martin CK1 is sold.

But they have a Kamaka tenor.

I play. I love.

It's very possible a Kamaka tenor is in my future...

(Rinse. Repeat..)

Pondoro
01-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Chronological order (of my acquisition, not their manufacture):
Lanikai Spruce Top Tenor
Lanikai LU21 Soprano - has been on three continents and is signed by the UOGB
Pono Mahogany Concert
Ohana SK35 Soprano
1930's Banjo Uke, 12.5" scale, so call it a short soprano
Solid Cedar CBU Soprano - built from a solid cedar box
Cedar Sopranino, home built, pineapple shape. 11.6" scale
Solid Cedar-topped CBU Soprano - from a plywood box
Kent Baritone - 1960's or 1970's?
Sub-sopranino still under construction

pdxuke
01-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Chronological order (of my acquisition, not their manufacture):
Lanikai Spruce Top Tenor
Lanikai LU21 Soprano - has been on three continents and is signed by the UOGB
Pono Mahogany Concert
Ohana SK35 Soprano
1930's Banjo Uke, 12.5" scale, so call it a short soprano
Solid Cedar CBU Soprano - built from a solid cedar box
Cedar Sopranino, home built, pineapple shape. 11.6" scale
Solid Cedar-topped CBU Soprano - from a plywood box
Kent Baritone - 1960's or 1970's?
Sub-sopranino still under construction

Isn't that SK 35 a lovely little uke? I adore mine!

HBolte
01-20-2013, 12:27 PM
I enjoy the five I have, I only want one Moore!

lennymac
01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Currently 8, but whittled down over the last couple of years.

Mahalo soprano
Martin SO
Cole Clark Ukelady UL3A
Kala Ubass
Ashbury CK Tenor Cutaway
Sherridan banjolele
Kamaka HF-2L special order
Samick Greg Bennett Concert

Pondoro
01-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Isn't that SK 35 a lovely little uke? I adore mine!

The SK35 is my go to uke and I'm considering buying a second one as a spare. Just in case.

coolkayaker1
01-20-2013, 01:24 PM
The SK35 is my go to uke and I'm considering buying a second one as a spare. Just in case.

God idea, Ponodoro. If it's like most things in life, just when you really start loving something, the company goes and tweaks something (new, and improved!) and, at least for your personal purposes, ruins it!

Steedy
01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
In two years, I've accumulated a couple dozen ukes, but half of them are Dolphins, and one is a sweet little Mahalo Smiley Face. :)

But with all those ukes, I have no Mainlands. Will have to do something about that before long. Would love to have a Mainland Mango and a Mainland Cedar/Rosewood. Any discounts for UU Forum members, Mike? :cool:

Nickie
01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Just one, my Kala cutaway concert. Dark in here, so I don't know what model it is...I don't think ukulele salesmen have much use for me, LOL.

itsme
01-20-2013, 01:44 PM
soprano: Flea
concert: Fluke
tenors: Cordoba Donavon Frankenreiter, Kala thinline, Yairi Kanai, Mid-East baroquelele, Mainland red cedar
baritone: Ohana BK-20
Yamaha Guitalele (if that counts)

Nicko
01-20-2013, 02:06 PM

Thanks CK, I'll take a look at the Kiwaya, too.

Chris Tarman
01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I have 27.

pdxuke
01-20-2013, 02:26 PM
I have 27.

And I love you for it.

:worship:

vanflynn
01-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Give us a rough guess Stan!

mketom
01-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Ok Stan, share one of your mysteries with us. Fess up, how many ukes have you got?

haolejohn
01-20-2013, 02:34 PM
How many ukes do you have?
Beginners that have played less than six months and only have one uke don't count.

Mike, this is a loaded wuestion. Do we count ukes that we own but are used for others?

TCK
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Apparently one less than it takes to have my wife move all my stuff out onto the lawn.

LameLefty
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Only 3. There will be more someday, just not right now.

Nicko
01-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Apparently one less than it takes to have my wife move all my stuff out onto the lawn.

That happens to be the correct number, in case anyone has been wondering how many ukes they should have.

pdxuke
01-20-2013, 03:17 PM
That happens to be the correct number, in case anyone has been wondering how many ukes they should have.

One of the many reasons I've been happily married almost 30 years is my bride doesn't care about my toys, and I don't care about hers (we each have an allowance.) I highly recommend the allowance system. Guilt free buying.

mattydee
01-20-2013, 03:59 PM
They're in my sig... 4 of em are Mainlands.

I've got a custom on the way, and eyes on a mya-moe Bari, after which I see paring way down to 6:

Custom Concert
Mainland Honebee
Mya-Moe Baritone
8 string tenor
Dolphin - for the beach!
Banjolele

But for now it's 10 going on 100.

Kyle23
01-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Only 8 of us have 1? Jeez I need to get a few more.

coolkayaker1
01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Based on the results of this survey, I must have emerald ash borers in my skull. I'm in the upper tier of uke ownership, and I can't even play them. Usually, I just smell the soundholes and put them back in the box.

pdxuke
01-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Based on the results of this survey, I must have emerald ash borers in my skull. I'm in the upper tier of uke ownership, and I can't even play them. Usually, I just smell the soundholes and put them back in the box.

You are allowed to love and collect beautiful things. The ukes you have are beautiful, and whether you can play three chords or three hundred-- you are allowed to have them without guilt :-)

Plainsong
01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Give us a rough guess Stan!

Yes, everyone start chanting, Stan..Stan..Stan! Stan! Stan! :D

tigersister
01-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Dang, you're going to make me count them. I'm in ignorant bliss of how many I actually have. I keep a few in each room of the house, so it seems like I have far fewer than I do. The last time someone asked me, I thought I had six. Then the spouse pointed out a couple of others I had forgotten to count. :o

ETA: I have eleven in my possession, and a twelfth one in the works. Like Steve, I can't play a darn lick. They give me hours of enjoyment and keep me out of trouble though.

Kamaka HF-3
Aloha/Tabu/Akai soprano circa 1918 with gumby headstock
Mainland red cedar soprano pineapple
Mainland mahogany slot head concert
Makala Dolphins - 1 red burst, 1 black sparkle (my daughter's uke, but I think I play it more than she does)
Eleuke SC100-PHP/R soprano
Harmony soprano from the 1950's with plastic fretboard
Kala Travel soprano
KoAloha soprano
Mya-Moe myrtle concert #818
Oceana cedar/walnut super soprano (still in the works)

KamakOzzie
01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
One of the many reasons I've been happily married almost 30 years is my bride doesn't care about my toys, and I don't care about hers (we each have an allowance.) I highly recommend the allowance system. Guilt free buying.

Works for me, too ! Forty four years together.
Currently thirty something ukes.

PTOEguy
01-20-2013, 05:55 PM
We just hung the kid's violins on the wall (did a floor stand for the cello and my wife's guitar) and then she asked me for decorating purposes how many ukes I intended to have.

Having played less than a year, I can only justify having ones that are appreciably different, so I have soprano, concert, tenor and baritone.

I need to get: banjolele, ubass and solid body electric to complete (mostly) the set. I'm also holding out for a serious instrument (K brand or Mya Moe, not sure which) probably in concert size.

engravertom
01-20-2013, 06:09 PM
back to one, my first one, a Kala laminate tenor, now tuned to re entrant A. Counting the ones the wife and kids have, there are 7 in the house. But only one is mine. eventually, i could see a nice soprano or longneck soprano as a legit second instrument, but right now the capo works fine. And, I currently am struggling with Drum acquisition syndrome! E-bay is a bad place!

Chris Tarman
01-20-2013, 06:29 PM
And I love you for it.

:worship:

That made my day! Thanks!

Chris Tarman
01-20-2013, 06:34 PM

Yes, that's a good system. We have one shared hobby, bicycling (we have several bikes each, plus a tandem), but I have a lot more of my own hobbies than my wife has. We used to use the allowance system more than we currently do, but I think I'm better about rampant spending than I used to be. Then again, I generally have money every month from gigging as a bassist, so that gets pumped into my hobbies too. As long as I don't plunder our shared monies, I THINK she's okay with it.

Tigeralum2001
01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
More than I need, but not as many as I want...

CountryMouse
01-21-2013, 02:39 AM
I answered "over 20". I have 21 plus a Tom Pocket Uke on the way. One of my family is a banjolele, one is an Eleuke, and one is a TV Pal plastic ukulele. I have three concert ukes (one Flea and two Flukes). The rest are all sopranos.

CountryMouse

Doc_J
01-21-2013, 02:58 AM
Does anyone else keep a list of the all the ukes they have owned?
I log my ukes, ones currently owned and ones I no longer own (and the ones I wish I still had).:)

GinnyT11
01-21-2013, 03:22 AM
I log my ukes, ones currently owned and ones I no longer own (and the ones I wish I still had).:)

Yes, I have a spread sheet that shows where we bought each uke and its cost, plus whom we sold it to and for what price. (Different colors for my ukes and MrT's ukes.) The section of sold ukes is much longer than the list of what we currently own.

connor013
01-21-2013, 03:28 AM

My list isn't as organized as Ginny's, but I've kept track as well. And since most sales required a pic or two, I think one day I'll put all of them together into a (fairly large) poster.

kvehe
01-21-2013, 03:35 AM
I have a document in Evernote that lists the order in which the uke was ordered (A, B, C, etc. and the order in which it arrived (1, 2, 3, etc.): A-1, B-3, C-2, etc. The main grouping is by size, with the ukes arranged by order date within each section. Each entry includes a description, a name (if it has one), a serial number (if it has one), the seller, the date it was ordered, the date it arrived, and any pertinent information that I might find interesting. The custom builds include the date the uke was begun and the date the uke was finished. eBay ukes include the date I placed the bid; the date the auction ended counts as the day I ordered it. Some entries include the price I paid; some do not. I keep meaning to make a spreadsheet or a database, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

guitharsis
01-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Wow! I'm impressed with the record keeping some of you do. I have a record of ukes I currently own and price paid; also what strings are current.

7 ukes - was going to stop at 6 . . . . The Gstring Sun Concert from NC Ukulele Academy was too hard to resist.:)

SailQwest
01-21-2013, 05:08 AM
My husband and I have about a dozen, between us. (More than half of them are mine. ;))

kvehe
01-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Wow! I'm impressed with the record keeping some of you do. I have a record of ukes I currently own and price paid; also what strings are current.

7 ukes - was going to stop at 6 . . . . The Gstring Sun Concert from NC Ukulele Academy was too hard to resist.:)

I haven't been good about recording strings or string changes, but I haven't done too many changes. That is definitely part of the data going forward. I have a Pono soprano micro-blem that has something different on it, but I don't remember what. Maybe Living Water, but I'm not sure.

OldePhart
01-21-2013, 06:25 AM
I enjoy the five I have, I only want one Moore!

I saw what you did there!

myrnaukelele
01-21-2013, 07:25 AM
Sopranos: 1930s- a Gibson; a Silvertone; a Royal Hawaiian plastic/ a 1940s Favilla/1950s-2 Harmonys;a Maccaferri Islander/a 1960s Martin/
New: 3 Dolphins and a Flea
WTB - A vintage Kamaka soprano
Concerts: a six string of unknown origin/ Mya-Moe #808
Baritones: a 1950s Favilla/ a 1960s Harmony
Banjo ukes: 1930s Avalon/1950s Maccafferi/an old John Grey & Sons
That makes 19 ukes...
Here is the song I recently wrote about my UAS - Another verse is knocking around in my head...

http://youtu.be/DV9gfPzjSC8

HBolte
01-21-2013, 07:40 AM
I saw what you did there!

Good eye! ;)

alemarco
01-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Today I have only one (a Lanikai Soprano). But tomorrow I will be receiving a new Ohana Concert and a banjo uke!

TCK
01-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Haha- I was just kidding (mostly)- I suggested she give up one of hers last week because she said she was not playing it much and she looked at me like I was nuts. Secret to our happiness- we Uke together, two hours every night :)

Lori
01-21-2013, 09:28 AM
I have to say over 20, but 4 are used as demo/ loaners for workshops ukes (I do beginner uke workshops at the YMCA), and one is an autograph uke (next stop UOGB in April). The core of the collection is 15 with one on the way. I think something will be up for sale soon, to make room in the uke closet.

cantsing
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Guess I'm just a monogamous personality, 'cus I only have one, a Mainland mahogany concert. Up until recently I also had a Kala tenor (my first uke), but I stopped playing it and felt bad neglecting it, so off it went to a better home. Someday I will spring for a significant upgrade, but I'm not ready yet.

seeso
01-21-2013, 06:28 PM
I have two. My concert mango Flea and my Dominator. Lean and mean!

BillMo
01-22-2013, 02:59 AM
8 I think.

Martin T1K, Ana'ole TA, Kamoa 700T, Kamoa E3T, Ohana TK-80RW, Pono MT-8, Big Rusty Reso, Kanilea K1-C

drbekken
01-22-2013, 05:27 AM
I have five baritones; all of them low end: 2 Rogues, one Savannah, one Johnson and one Hilo. Then I have one vintage banjo ukulele, made in the 1920s by the 'NMS Co' and a cheap soprano. And that's all, folks.

haole
01-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Ten in my house; six are mine. Since I've pretty much lost all interest/hope in ever getting a custom, I'd say it's a good number to stop at. 1 soprano (Kamaka), 1 concert (Flea), two tenors (Maui Music 6-string and KoAloha), and two baritones (early 50s Harmony in DGBE and 70s Aria in re-entrant GCEA an octave lower).

quiltingshirley
01-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Well, at the last Jam session I was told "Shirley, you don't have to bring a different ukulele to each Jam", I guess I have too many. Several have been permanently loaned to folks. I only play 5 and one of these is a Dolphin for travel. I have a No Name concert Koa with low G, a KoAloha long neck soprano Koa with high G, a Kamaka pineapple with high G and my favorite a Kamaka concert with Low G. I've also sold a few like my KoAoha Pineapple Sunday and my Leolani pineapple.

BadLands Bart
01-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Not nearly enough!!!

LifesShort
01-22-2013, 09:35 AM
I find it interesting that, as of right now, more people have responded saying they have over 20 ukes than those that have only 1. I'm not sure what that means, I just think it is interesting.

Coconut Willie
01-22-2013, 11:37 AM
lol.....I could use a few more!!