High end uke shipped to uk?

Wongo

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has had a custom ukulele made and shipped to the uk. I am currently trying to weigh up my options but don't want to burnt by uk customs. If you have please tell me about your experiance. Cost of uke then final costs after duty and tax etc. anything else you think I might need to know.
Thanks in advance for any help
It would be gratefully appreciated

I don't know what the UK import fees are. For the Netherlands we have to calculate 21% tax and 4% duties + processing fees. This is calculated over the price of the uke combined with the shipping costs.

I don't know what the UK import fees are. For the Netherlands we have to calculate 21% tax and 4% duties + processing fees. This is calculated over the price of the uke combined with the shipping costs.

Yup, same in Finland, but I think the tax is something like 24%. Always better to plan for it to be more rather than less. Unless you're getting a custom or have one specific uke you fell in love with, it's better to go with European sellers, like Southern Ukulele Store (UK), musique83 (France), or Mercatinodellukulele.it (Italy). All those mentioned have and get K brands in stock. Ukulele.de even is now a Kamaka dealer.

I've had more trouble with the UK post than any other country, often they won't tell you they've got your uke (or whatever it is), you've just got to call and find out, then go pay duty. If you wait too long, they might return it to the shipper.

I've ordered stuff from the US in the past and it seems hit and miss whether you get caught by customs for small items but for valuable items, you almost certainly will. You can expect to pay VAT plus import duties (I'm not sure what the latter are, you will need to check with HM Revenue & Customs). If the sender uses the postal service, the Royal Mail will hang on to your item until you have paid duty plus a "handling fee". The latter seems to be somewhat excessive, at least on smaller items as it can be as much as the duty and it's that that I particularly resent. I have heard that courier firms tend to be more reasonable in that regard, so ask the sender to use a courier and not the postal service.

So the short answer is, yes, you will get charged by customs but you will need to check exactly how much.

If it's sent from within the EU, on the other hand, as long as VAT has been paid locally by the sender, there should be no further duty to pay.

As Tootler says, if purchased inside the EU and local tax has been paid importing will not attract further taxes, but outside the EU then have a look at the following page on the HMRC website.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm

Not sure what the implications (if any) of the Lacey Act/Cites List etc would be though. As Plainsong says above, unless it is something that cannot be sourced or made within the UK I personally would try to avoid importing, but that is just me.

Whatever you do, don't order anything this month. Royal Mail has a huge back log after the holidays, and most post from abroad is stuck in depots righ now because of the snow. Best to wait a few weeks.

Thank you for all of the quick replies. I will hold off and shop locally I think.

I've had more trouble with the UK post than any other country, often they won't tell you they've got your uke (or whatever it is), you've just got to call and find out, then go pay duty. If you wait too long, they might return it to the shipper.

I actually experienced this with a digital SLR bought from the states. They mis-wrote the postcode, and it ended up at the other end of the country. I managed to get it intercepted as it was back on its way to New Jersey.

Then had to pay something like 28% customs.

Ouch. Twice.

PM set.

But the import tax in total is around 21%, there are a few things you can do to help UK post....

Hey - I had kamaka do a special order for me which was shipped to the UK in October. Shipping was I think 80 USD, then the tax/handling on arrival in the UK was approximately 23% of the cost of the uke plus shipping. It made the whole think quite a bit more expensive than if you are in the US. Personally I am delighted with my uke and think it's worth every penny (cent!); it is a fairly big risk to take on a uke you haven't played. If it arrives and you are not 100% happy with it the resale market is mainly in the US, it may take a fair bit of time to resell and you will almost certainly lose a fair chunk of cash on the deal - take 25% off for it being 'used' and the 23% UK tax if shipping back to the US. Like I say, I'm delighted with mine, but £1,500 is a big risk to take. How about trying a UK Luthier? I've only heard good things about pete howlett - check his website...

Those European shops I mentioned all are authorized dealers of what they carry, and have stellar reputations. They're just not as well known on this site because its more US-centric. It used to be you couldn't find a K-brand here for love nor money, but now things are a bit better. Musique83 even has a Koaloha Pineapple Sunday.

Those European shops I mentioned all are authorized dealers of what they carry, and have stellar reputations. They're just not as well known on this site because its more US-centric. It used to be you couldn't find a K-brand here for love nor money, but now things are a bit better. Musique83 even has a Koaloha Pineapple Sunday.

It's not super accurate but having priced up a few things myself with VAT @20% and 3% import tax then shipping at BOTH ends, (yes Royal Mail seem to sting you this side of the pond) you could work on the basis that whatever you're being asked for in $ is what you will end up paying in £.

Someone posted an import tax calculator a while back and it differs depending what the item is. No uke listing but a banjo was 3% on top of the sale price, not including the shipping charge

It's not super accurate but having priced up a few things myself with VAT @20% and 3% import tax then shipping at BOTH ends, (yes Royal Mail seem to sting you this side of the pond) you could work on the basis that whatever you're being asked for in $ is what you will end up paying in £.

Someone posted an import tax calculator a while back and it differs depending what the item is. No uke listing but a banjo was 3% on top of the sale price, not including the shipping charge

Here, depending on the strength of the Euro, it works out to be a little more in Euros, like a 1200USD uke would be more like about 1260€, but in the same ballpark (you start to cry when you do the currency conversion). I just plan it into the cost. If it means that much to get it, then it is what it is. Currency fluctuations depending, you can still come out ahead, but not generally, not right now.

Order it. Pay for it. When it's ready, combine a US holiday with collection. Carry it home on the plane. Fortune saved.

Order it. Pay for it. When it's ready, combine a US holiday with collection. Carry it home on the plane. Fortune saved.

Not really. You won't have to pay shipping but you will have to pay import duty and VAT. Don't even begin to think of trying to sneak it through the green lane.

I ordered a Covered Bridge from Terry and Perryin Oregon and it was plain sailing all the way.You pay by pay pal and they send it to you.You just have to add a quarter again to the price.It arrived safely.There was no problem.Covered Bridge are such good value it was worth the wait and even with the import duty was still not expensive.You also get a quality custom made instrument .

Top Bottom