Concert low G on a Soprano

pdxuke

Reaction score
Hi Uke friends:

I want to try a low g on one of my sopranos, and the only low g strings I have in my box right now are a set of Aquila low g Concerts. Any trouble using that low g?

Probably not.....many folks put concert strings on a soprano. If the soprano is lightly built, I supposed you might have a problem. Low G will work on a soprano, but the shorter the scale length, the less well it works.

Is it wound, Thom?

Oooh, sorry to muscle in but I have a similar questions: Can you use Tenor strings on a Concert uke - including a non-wound low G?

To the OP, what's the worst that could happen, go for it.

Oooh, sorry to muscle in but I have a similar questions: Can you use Tenor strings on a Concert uke - including a non-wound low G?

They would have less tension when tuned to pitch.
Whether that's acceptable to you could only be determined by direct experimentation.

My latest delightful string find is a Fremont Soloist "squeakless" polished flat wound low G, rated and recommended for all three sizes from soprano to tenor.
I can testify that it works, I use it on tenor and soprano with excellent results.

While it seems counter-intuitive, it's really not, since soprano ukes typically have lower tension strings than tenors.

A concert low g is no worse on a soprano than pulling GCEA up to ADF#B. For a real trip try g C E a (another low g pulled up to a). Aquila makes the smooth red monofilament low g for soprano. Hmmmmmmm.....even though I don't look at the strings as I play, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of 1 red 3 white, but the two outsides the same colour restores symmetry. It's a great sound for the blues. Dirk from Southcoast is the one gave me the idea to do quatro tuning on a soprano.

Filing a wider space is not a problem. To revert back to narrow, a small taped dam fore and aft filled with baking soda and a drop of cyanoacrylate glue restores it to an uncut condition. Recut as needed.

Top Bottom