Fan braces tucked or untucked

erich@muttcrew.net

Reaction score
I've been wondering about the (potential) pros and cons of tucking the fan braces into the waist brace. All the ukulele plans and most of the ukuleles I've seen had the fan braces tucked under the edge of the waist brace. But with classical guitars, for example, the fan braces or tone bars are almost always untucked, i.e. they are separate from all the other braces.

Any ideas on the differences and/or the advantages of one or the other would be appreciated.

And yes, I do understand that ukes are not guitars.

I built mostly classical guitars. Fan braces don't need to be tucked IMO. The height of fan braces of most classical guitars ranges from 3mm to 7mm, so they don't even have to be as strong/stiff on a tenor uke. Stiffer ukes might sound too bright for some but please others. Might last longer, too.

Untucked. I see no advantage for tucking braces, for sound or structural purposes on a uke.

I don't tuck the braces either. I look at the fans as a means of controlling the lower bout, and shaping and holding the radius I build in there. I don't want to lock it up. I want it to vibrate as freely as possible while still being structurally sound.

That settles it then - no more tucked braces.

We never used to tuck them in but started doing so after building a number of ukes according to plans that called for it...

I remember reading somewhere that free-floating braces can cancel each other out at certain frequencies, but I never really bought that argument.

I free floating braces can cancel each other out, then so can tucked braces. That's really pretzel logic.

Top Bottom