Intentionally over-tightening new strings.

ShawnMilo

Reaction score
I haven't tried this yet, but since strings stretch a lot at first, wouldn't it make sense to intentionally tighten new strings a couple of notes higher than their proper tuning when you first put on new strings?

I currently use the recommended method of re-string, tune, stretch, tune, stretch, repeat. But I can't help but think there has to be some trick that doesn't render a ukulele useless for the first day or two after new strings.

I usually tune a half step up after initial stretching and let it sit for couple hours.

I usually tune a step up for the first day. I've found it makes them settle pretty quick.
I also pull 'em as I'm tuning... i.e. tune to the note, grab the string and pull out from the body, then tune again.
I do it two or three times, then leave it for half hour or so, then repeat.

This is exactly what I do when changing strings. Unless I'm using unusually hard strings I tune a full step high. If I'm using heavy gage strings (like worth CH on a soprano) I'll tune a half step high.

I also try to change strings the day before I intend to play that particular uke. That way I can tune them a step high several times during the evening the day before, then one last time before going to bed, and by the next day they'll hold a tune at least through a set.

John

Thanks, everybody. I did some Google searches before posting because I assumed this must be something others have done.

Not finding it, I assumed it was just "common knowledge" that it was bad and nobody talked about it.

I think I'll try it next time I have to change strings. I just bought a bunch of new ukes since August, and none of them really need new strings yet. But I'm ready with two packs of Worths (clear and brown) and my winder. :eek:

I have heard several pros say not to stretch and pull on strings, so I would not do that part.

I have heard several pros say not to stretch and pull on strings, so I would not do that part.

What was the reasoning behind that? I've seen it recommended, including by Aaron from Hawaii Music Supply on the YouTube video about changing strings. He said just not to pull too hard.

The only thing I can think of is that it probably doesn't stretch them out evenly, so it may not be super-helpful but I don't see how it can hurt.

Either way, it seems that over-tightening initially would stretch them more evenly than pulling on the strings.

I find it's best to tune a uke as I plan to play it; I retune as necessary while the strings stretch.

I don't see how tuning a set of strings up a semitone or two would hurt. I also don't see how it would help. I never pull or tug on new strings---that runs the risk of stretching them unevenly and screwing up intonation.

One way to get strings to settle more quickly: I play my uke much more than usual.

Can someone explain to me what a half step up means?

Can someone explain to me what a half step up means?

A "step" is the relative difference in pitch between C and D, or between D and E, or between F and G, etc. (That's pitches that are two frets apart on a uke, guitar, bass, etc.)

A "half step" is half that difference. That's the difference between B and C, or between E and F, or between G and A flat, etc. (That's one fret apart on a uke, guitar, bass, etc.)

So tuning a "half step up" mean tuning to A flat, D flat, F, and B flat instead of G, C, E, and A respectively. Make sense?

Last edited:

I agree. Pulling new strings to re-glue an old bridge is not the best way to spend an afternoon.

One way to get strings to settle more quickly: I play my uke much more than usual.

Obviously I agree with that! The thing is, I do play a lot (as much as I can with my schedule, anyway).

I also play for my son every night at bedtime, so I'd rather not have my "uke of the week" go out of tune in the middle of his bedtime ritual.

I have a "uke of the week" because I think it's the only way I can be fair to all the ukuleles I bought in my initial onset of UAS. I guess I'll just have to grab another uke in those cases.

Obviously I agree with that! The thing is, I do play a lot (as much as I can with my schedule, anyway).

I also play for my son every night at bedtime, so I'd rather not have my "uke of the week" go out of tune in the middle of his bedtime ritual.

I have a "uke of the week" because I think it's the only way I can be fair to all the ukuleles I bought in my initial onset of UAS. I guess I'll just have to grab another uke in those cases.
Ah, with more than one uke, no problem. Just be sure to play your most recently strung uke by yourself, and play one that stays in tune for your son. (Sounds like you and he have a good bedtime ritual, going.) Nothing wrong with having both "uke of the week" and "most recently strung uke" both out and about.

Top Bottom