Learning Piano Songs

utube

Reaction score
Hi UU!

I've been watching a ton of talented ukulele players on YouTube since I picked up the instrument. Many of them inspire me to be able to play like them one day.

I'm going on 7 weeks of playing the instrument am slowly becoming familiar with notes on the fretboard, a handful of chords from Uncle Rod's bootcamp, and I have also learned 2 major scales so far. I plan to spend my time in the near future learning the entire fretboard, all major scales, and all of Uncle Rod's bootcamp chords. While doing this, I intend to pick up some strumming and fingerpicking techniques. This should set the basis for my future playing and learning songs!

However, I'm curious to know how to learn some tunes. For example, I would love to eventually learn the song "Kiss the Rain" by Yiruma as done in the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEh-v_urJ1U

But how do I go about learning a song which is originally composed for piano? Are there songbooks which contain this tune in it for ukulele?

Thanks!

But how do I go about learning a song which is originally composed for piano? Are there songbooks which contain this tune in it for ukulele?
Transcribing/arranging/adapting pieces written for other instruments can be a real art form. For fingerpicking, you basically want to look at the chords involved, see where the melody notes within those chords lay. Sometimes it is necessary to change the key to adapt to the uke's more limited range.

As for that particular piece, if you read the comments on the youtube page you linked, it says where you can download the tabs for it. ;)

That's great! I didn't see the tabs in the comment.

As for adapting a piece which is originally composed for piano (for instance), I take it that it's necessary to know the piano in order to produce your take of it on ukulele?

I find this "art" pretty interesting but I don't know anything about piano. I've only played trumpet for 6 years in school.

Thanks again!

As for adapting a piece which is originally composed for piano (for instance), I take it that it's necessary to know the piano in order to produce your take of it on ukulele?
No, not at all. Of course, if you want to transcribe from a piano score it helps if you can read music and know where the notes are on the uke fretboard. But since you played trumpet for 6 years in school, I presume you can read at least the basics of standard notation.

If you don't already have it, I'd highly recommend "Ukulele for Dummies" by Alistair Wood, which covers pretty much all the basics and then some.

It's not really a beginner's book, but "Fretboard Roadmaps" by Fred Sokolow goes more into theory, moveable chords, etc.

The more proficient you become at reading and playing uke tabs, the easier it'll be for you to come up with your own arrangements.

Good luck to ya! :)

Top Bottom