PDA

View Full Version : best hawaiian island to visit

ukebuilder
01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
What is the best place to vacation any suggestions? I want to take a tour of some uke related shop while there. Never Been there and neither has the wife.

Dan Uke
01-21-2013, 03:31 PM
you should go to Oahu if you want to visit shops as the K brands have factory tours

HBolte
01-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Yep, if you have never been there before Oahu would be good. Lots of Uke shops in Waikiki. Kamaka Factory is nearby. The Kanile'a and KoAloha are a drive from Waikiki. HMS is a must on the North Shore. Lots of non ukulele things to do and see there too. Don't miss the Rainbow Cafe and Marukame Udon, both in Waikiki area.

Dan Uke
01-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Even Obama stopped by Rainbows!

MutinousDoug
01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but you HAVE to get to Oahu from the mainland before you get to any of the other islands?
Of the two I've been to; Oahu and Hawaii, the Big Island, with Mt. Kilauea was the most pleasant.
This was before I had any interest in ukulele and found hearing "The Star Spangled Banner" rendered on soprano ukulele...
disturbing.
Let's see? This was 43 and 10 years ago.
YMMV

Doug

konut
01-21-2013, 04:22 PM
There are direct flights to Maui, Oahu, and the Big I.(both Hilo and Kona). If you decide to go to Oahu make sure you get to Leonard's Bakery for some malasadas.

haolejohn
01-21-2013, 04:25 PM
What is the best place to vacation any suggestions? I want to take a tour of some uke related shop while there. Never Been there and neither has the wife.

since you want to do uke tours...Oahu.
Each island has its own personality. My personal favorite is Maui then the other outer islands then last Oahu.

haolejohn
01-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but you HAVE to get to Oahu from the mainland before you get to any of the other islands?
Of the two I've been to; Oahu and Hawaii, the Big Island, with Mt. Kilauea was the most pleasant.
This was before I had any interest in ukulele and found hearing "The Star Spangled Banner" rendered on soprano ukulele...
disturbing.
Let's see? This was 43 and 10 years ago.
YMMV

Doug
you used to be correct:) It has changed quite a bit. Not sure how long now but it has been after 9/11 you can fly direct to Maui and I want to say BI.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-21-2013, 04:30 PM
you used to be correct:) It has changed quite a bit. Not sure how long now but it has been after 9/11 you can fly direct to Maui and I want to say BI.

Yes, there are direct flights to both Hilo & Kona.

coolkayaker1
01-21-2013, 04:37 PM
you should go to Oahu if you want to visit shops as the K brands have factory tours

Agreed. Plus, on Oahu there's more hula girls, per capita, than any other place on planet Earth. Some of them play ukuleles. Fortunately, most of them don't.

Dan Uke
01-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Agreed. Plus, on Oahu there's more hula girls, per capita, than any other place on planet Earth. Some of them play ukuleles. Fortunately, most of them don't.

I'll be there to check out the Ukulele Picnic Feb 10th and I'm sure I'll see a few. :p

gringo
01-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Visit Oahu first. Don't forget to eat at Ono. I dream of the laulau they serve there. Just make sure you show up early or plan on waiting in line.

Trinimon
01-21-2013, 06:46 PM
I agree. If this is the first to the islands, Oahu should be your first experience me thinks esp as a uke player as others pointed out. Ono was nice but I much prefer Helena's. They were a lot friendlier at Helena's too and even remembered us from our last visit the previous summer. The pipikaula ribs are sooo good... kinda like beef jerky.

Someone mentioned Leonards. Oh you made me drool! Nothing like steaming hot, right from fryer malasadas and a short walk down to Waikola Shaved Ice, although I found that Uncle Clay's Shaved Ice down by Hawaii Kai was da bestest on the island, yeah, even better than Matsumotos! Uncle Clay embodies the true spirit of Aloha. He took time to chat with us, teach us some Hawaiian traditions etc and gave my nice some stickers. The young girls serving at Matsumotos weren't the friendliest but the older ladies in the gift shop side were a hoot. :)

Oh, be sure to hit up Liliha Bakery for coco puffs and award winning Loco Moco plate lunch.

It's pretty easy to get around Oahu with public transit or the Wikiwiki.

All that being said, I think I still like Big Island the best. It's just nice to get away from busy Oahu esp the hordes of tourist in Waikiki.

Ok, enough, I'm feel vacation sick now. lol

ukebuilder
01-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Well I will be printing this off before we start planning... Thanks guys...

The Big Kahuna
01-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Kauai.

End of story.

kapahulu50
01-21-2013, 07:14 PM
You can't go wrong wherever you choose. Inter island flights are only about 30-40 minutes, so you can even make day trips if you don't want to island hop.

AKuker
01-21-2013, 07:50 PM
If you're in Wakiki try out pukka dogs. I know, not glamorous, but they are great!

thomas
01-21-2013, 09:14 PM
They're all nice...cant go wrong really.

AndrewKuker
01-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Oahu has the uke tours. But if you want to some real paradise you don't stay in the city. I love this place-Fabulous Artistic Villa on a Private 50 Acre Forested Estate (http://www.vrbo.com/381089)
Kaui- most gorgeous and best outdoors activity, best beaches, best hiking. Used to live there and it's a dream. Maui is where I die and go to yuppy heaven. Stores with just wine and cheese? Damn! Oahu can't get away with that level of cool. Big Island ..I go there every year for family, but vacation?...if you like resorts. or maybe camping. Do it all!
But please, guys, understand, Waikiki is as far from real Hawaii as you can get. Which many are most comfortable with, but still...

PedalFreak
01-22-2013, 04:06 AM
Oahu - sort of a complete Hawaii trip. You can stay entertained your entire trip. But like Andrew said get out of town and head to the North Shore, my favorite place on earth :) When you get up there, not only do you need to stop at HMS, but you have to stop at Ted's Bakery and get some Chocolate Cream Pie. Giovanni's Shrimp Truck. You also have all the big Ukulele companies, can tour the factories. If you're looking for a new ukulele save up and buy it while in Hawaii, you'll never be in a place to try out almost any uke you can think of :)

Trinimon
01-22-2013, 04:09 AM
I've yet to make it to Kaui. I think I've been miss'n out! Haha, Andrew, you know I could never really describe Maui but I like your description 'cause it's so true. :)

Skinny Money McGee
01-22-2013, 04:23 AM
Last time I was there, we rented a Harley Road King instead of a car. Rode all over the Island. An evening at California Rockin Sushi was a lot of fun in Honolulu.
http://www.californiabeachrocknsushi.com/

The Big Kahuna
01-22-2013, 04:28 AM
The only place I've ever been that I disliked more than Maui was Sri Lanka. That'll teach me to stay in a shithole on a backstreet on Lahaina.

Seriously, when has a window overlooking the car park been described as a "Garden View" ? Probably the most unpleasant and unfriendly bartenders outside Glasgow. The road to Hana, is cool, especially if you go all the way round...preferably in a barge like the Buick Park Avenue I had. The trip to the top of Haleakala was also interesting, but whatever you do, don't be tempted to buy the Pineapple Wine from one of the vineyards at the bottom. Kihei and Wailea should be bombed repeatedly until there's nothing left but two big holes in the ground.

Oh yeah, and the entire island appears to be manufactured out of bits of black plastic on a windy day.

Just my opinion, of course.

:)

molokinirum
01-22-2013, 04:46 AM
the only place i've ever been that i disliked more than maui was sri lanka. That'll teach me to stay in a shithole on a backstreet on lahaina.

Seriously, when has a window overlooking the car park been described as a "garden view" ? Probably the most unpleasant and unfriendly bartenders outside glasgow. The road to hana, is cool, especially if you go all the way round...preferably in a barge like the buick park avenue i had. The trip to the top of haleakala was also interesting, but whatever you do, don't be tempted to buy the pineapple wine from one of the vineyards at the bottom. Kihei and wailea should be bombed repeatedly until there's nothing left but two big holes in the ground.

Oh yeah, and the entire island appears to be manufactured out of bits of black plastic on a windy day.

wow!!!!!!!

coolkayaker1
01-22-2013, 04:49 AM
Andrew knows Hawaii well. That house on North Shore looks amazing!

When I have been to Oahu, I stay at Ko Olina (Marriott Ihilani, Ko Olina condos) and now Disney Hawaii (which I have not been to). It is 20 minutes from Waikiki, and allows uninhibited driving all over the island... it's a great start to driving anywhere, including the north shore to HMS and all that it offers.

My wife and I have a huge original oil painting my Hawaiian artist (and former surf champ) Lynne Boyer in our bedroom. It's Waimea Bay, with the little church steeple in the background. We really dig it there.

I, personally, took this photo of Lynne at Waimea actively painting the oil that is in my bedroom...lol. I didn;t even know her at the time (long story)
http://lynneboyer.com/about

Enjoy Oahu, and please, take some photos of HMS, original poster!

P.S. Most surf movies are kitschy...but "Blue Crush" is amazingly fun and well filmed. Do rent "Blue Crush", and not only because Katie Bosworth is super easy on the eyes (Andrew, have you seen that one--it rocks the bells!)

The Big Kahuna
01-22-2013, 05:00 AM
wow!!!!!!!

Like I said pal, just my opinion after a particularly unpleasant week on the island. I will probably go back again and try to do it justice. Being able to visit Lindbergh's grave made it worthwhile.

Newportlocal
01-22-2013, 06:13 AM
The only place I've ever been that I disliked more than Maui was Sri Lanka. That'll teach me to stay in a shithole on a backstreet on Lahaina.

Seriously, when has a window overlooking the car park been described as a "Garden View" ? Probably the most unpleasant and unfriendly bartenders outside Glasgow. The road to Hana, is cool, especially if you go all the way round...preferably in a barge like the Buick Park Avenue I had. The trip to the top of Haleakala was also interesting, but whatever you do, don't be tempted to buy the Pineapple Wine from one of the vineyards at the bottom. Kihei and Wailea should be bombed repeatedly until there's nothing left but two big holes in the ground.

Haha this is a funny post. Sorry you had such a bad time. Sri Lanka was like going to paradise after a week in India, and the Opal mines were interesting. I like Maui for visiting. Always enjoy your posts. Hope next time you have a better time in Maui. On the topic at hand I would go to Oahu first.

The Big Kahuna
01-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Sri Lanka was like going to paradise after a week in India, and the Opal mines were interesting.

/thread hijack

Where did you stay in Sri Lanka ? We visited a few Opal mines, it was funny how everyone steered you toward the jewellery shop on your way out. My wife had a metric f**kton of jewellery made at a proper jeweller authorised by the hotel, she even designed the settings herself. The cost of all that is one of the reasons I managed to buy a Kanile'a in Kauai last October. I'm still trying to work out if all the Tanzanite jewellery she bought in Zanzibar will get me a Ko'olau ;)

And at the end of the day, Maui is still Hawaii. A shit day in Hawaii is still better than a good day in most other places.

Newportlocal
01-22-2013, 08:08 AM
/thread hijack

Where did you stay in Sri Lanka ? We visited a few Opal mines, it was funny how everyone steered you toward the jewellery shop on your way out. My wife had a metric f**kton of jewellery made at a proper jeweller authorised by the hotel, she even designed the settings herself. The cost of all that is one of the reasons I managed to buy a Kanile'a in Kauai last October. I'm still trying to work out if all the Tanzanite jewellery she bought in Zanzibar will get me a Ko'olau ;)

And at the end of the day, Maui is still Hawaii. A shit day in Hawaii is still better than a good day in most other places.

I will PM you, but that is exactly why we were in India and Sri Lanka was for jewelry business, and you are right hard to have a truly bad time in Hawaii.

BadLands Bart
01-22-2013, 08:45 AM

Nice...real nice!! Hey I have been to England and if I were you............

vanflynn
01-22-2013, 08:45 AM
If you do go to Oahu and have a car, be sure to make time for the botanical garden at Waimea Falls on the north shore (after you hit HMS and a shrimp truck)

hawaii 50
01-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Andrew knows Hawaii well. That house on North Shore looks amazing!

When I have been to Oahu, I stay at Ko Olina (Marriott Ihilani, Ko Olina condos) and now Disney Hawaii (which I have not been to). It is 20 minutes from Waikiki, and allows uninhibited driving all over the island... it's a great start to driving anywhere, including the north shore to HMS and all that it offers.

My wife and I have a huge original oil painting my Hawaiian artist (and former surf champ) Lynne Boyer in our bedroom. It's Waimea Bay, with the little church steeple in the background. We really dig it there.

I, personally, took this photo of Lynne at Waimea actively painting the oil that is in my bedroom...lol. I didn;t even know her at the time (long story)
http://lynneboyer.com/about

Enjoy Oahu, and please, take some photos of HMS, original poster!

P.S. Most surf movies are kitschy...but "Blue Crush" is amazingly fun and well filmed. Do rent "Blue Crush", and not only because Katie Bosworth is super easy on the eyes (Andrew, have you seen that one--it rocks the bells!)

Hey Cool
you ever see "There will be Giants" i think that the title...one of the best surf movies i seen..more of a documentary but pretty good

Coconut Willie
01-22-2013, 11:36 AM
If you want to do the ukulele factories and have never been to Hawaii before, I would suggest a visit to Oahu. See the USS Arizona, and the Mighty Mo. Go to the Polynesian Cultural Center, hit the North Shore and of course...the ukulele factories!!!
Honolulu is a pretty busy city. My favorite is Maui and don't believe what some others have written about Maui.

vanflynn
01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
I guess the big question is how long do you plan on being there?

Coconut Willie
01-22-2013, 11:45 AM
I guess the big question is how long do you plan on being there?

Yes, and how many islands do you plan on seeing given the length of time you will be in Hawaii.

mketom
01-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Maui is heavenly, Oahu is historic, but the Big Island has it all. In fact, it's not done yet. Madame Pele is still hard at work building paradise.

kauaijim
01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
While I like Kauai the best, since I live here, Oahu has much more to do from the ukulele perspective. Go to the factories before you buy from any dealer other than HMS. My factory seconds are my favorites because I don't get OCD about them like the expensive ones.

If you look at the landscape of Oahu and try to block out the overbuilt crap, you can see that it was the most beautiful of the islands 100 years ago. The Pali, Waimea Bay, the road from Wailua to the guilder field on the north shore are all great. Karen's Kitchen on Queen Street. Ono's is worth the line. Try Soul and Town in Kaimuki. Get a plate lunch from one of the mobile eateries near the old post office across from Iolani Place near the King Kam statute. There's a tree grown from a sprout of the original bodhi tree in Foster Gardens. Just get out of Waikiki. Have fun.

wickedwahine11
01-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Kauai is my favorite place on Earth, nothing else comes close.

But if you want ukulele nirvana, that is Oahu. Check out the factory tours, then buy a uke at Hawaii Music Supply.

coolkayaker1
01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Hey Cool
you ever see "There will be Giants" i think that the title...one of the best surf movies i seen..more of a documentary but pretty good

No, but I'll check it out, H50. Thx

coolkayaker1
01-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Maui is heavenly, Oahu is historic, but the Big Island has it all. In fact, it's not done yet. Madame Pele is still hard at work building paradise.

I'll wait 'til she's done.

Trinimon
01-22-2013, 06:00 PM

We've had about 3 not so pleasant encounters in Maui on our last trip. A buddy of mine wanted (of all things) a Hawaiian shirt, but not just a Hawaiian shirt, but the same parrot print made famous by Magnum PI. The ONLY place that sells the authentic shirt is Mauishirts. The owner was a true pr*ck! There was a young woman who was nice and apologized. We had to wait outside the store while she went looking for the shirt! If it wasn't for my buddy, I'd have just walked away. Second encounter was some woman selling shaved ice in a shop in Lahaina. What a rude b!tch. I should've walked out but someone was already eating into their shaved ice. Third incident was at a store in Whaler's Village. Other than that, most folks were friendly.

haolejohn
01-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Oahu has the uke tours. But if you want to some real paradise you don't stay in the city. I love this place-Fabulous Artistic Villa on a Private 50 Acre Forested Estate (http://www.vrbo.com/381089)
Kaui- most gorgeous and best outdoors activity, best beaches, best hiking. Used to live there and it's a dream. Maui is where I die and go to yuppy heaven. Stores with just wine and cheese? Damn! Oahu can't get away with that level of cool. Big Island ..I go there every year for family, but vacation?...if you like resorts. or maybe camping. Do it all!
But please, guys, understand, Waikiki is as far from real Hawaii as you can get. Which many are most comfortable with, but still...

Oahu...the great concrete jungle. Even Maui has grown like crazy. I still prefer Maui (maybe b/c I lived there for 3 years?).

Dan Uke
01-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Since I enjoy New York City and Chicago, I got Island Fever real quickly on Kauai and couldn't wait to leave. How come so many places close so early? If they filmed Jurassic Park on Kauai, you know it's primitive!! For me, you can't beat Oahu unless you are staying by the side of Grand Wailea and other hotels in Maui. Haven't been to the Big Island.

haolejohn
01-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Since I enjoy New York City and Chicago, I got Island Fever real quickly on Kauai and couldn't wait to leave. How come so many places close so early? If they filmed Jurassic Park on Kauai, you know it's primitive!! For me, you can't beat Oahu unless you are staying by the side of Grand Wailea and other hotels in Maui. Haven't been to the Big Island.

I worked at the Grand Wailea. Good memories there. I also worked on Kaho'olawe.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
01-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Just as there are n "best" ukes it is obvious there are no "best" Hawaiian Islands. However, if I were putting together a first time vacation to Hawaii on limited time and budget I would choose Oahu and Moloka'i. These islands are the extremes of the Hawaiian experience and will give you the best of both. All the other major islands fall somewhere in between.

'ili puakea
01-23-2013, 02:11 PM
All of them.

haolejohn
01-23-2013, 03:01 PM

next time you go send me a PM and I will set you up with a nice itinerary.

Bob-in-Alberta
01-24-2013, 06:56 AM
The only island that I've been to has been Oahu but I love it there. Honolulu has great beaches right across the street from all of the stores that I would ever need to visit so there is something for everyone. Good restaurants in all price ranges and enough ukulele stores to keep me happy for hours. Rent a car and after a nice drive you can be in Haleiwa and stop in at HMS and you're in "ukulele heaven". Oahu also has manufacturer tours that sound interesting even though we've never done one (end up on the beach instead and all that). We've been to Oahu four times and have loved it every time. My wife and I have talked about trying Maui or one of the other islands but our biggest concern is that we might not like it as much as what we know.

whatevershebringswesing
01-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Is it the Isle of Man?

molokinirum
01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
next time you go send me a PM and I will set you up with a nice itinerary.

Same here!!