New friction tuners don't work!

halawooo

Reaction score
I just bought a set of friction tuner likehttp://elderly.com/accessories/items/UP101.htm, when I replaced the original geared tuners for friction ones, restrung and tuned, then tightened the screw, it slipped! Though I tried to tightened them as possible as i can, they just couldn't stayed tuned.....keep slipping til now! What should I do?
P.S. Maybe i'll post some pics of the friction i bought later, it's kind of late in Taiwan. And, forgive my poor english:p

I just bought a set of friction tuner likehttp://elderly.com/accessories/items/UP101.htm, when I replaced the original geared tuners for friction ones, restrung and tuned, then tightened the screw, it slipped! Though I tried to tightened them as possible as i can, they just couldn't stayed tuned.....keep slipping til now! What should I do?
P.S. Maybe i'll post some pics of the friction i bought later, it's kind of late in Taiwan. And, forgive my poor english:p

Send them back and order the (sta tite ones..)they cost a little more but will work better..exchanges no problem with Elderly..great customer service..but don't loose any of the pieces ...

Last edited:
Could it be that the holes are too wide or that the part of the tuner that is against the back of the tuner doesn't have enough grip? I put Gotoh Deluxe friction tuners on a uke once, and the back part had small metal "zig-zags" to dent and fasten into the wood. This one looks from the picture as if it's completely smooth, which I suppose could cause the tuner to slip?
What size ukulele are you putting them on btw? Some friction tuners seem not to be strong enough to withstand the string tension on bigger ukes.

Another guess would be that your headstock is a little thinner than with most ukes, if that's the case you'll have to cut off the end of the screws to make them shorter so they can be tightened down further.

I have those on a thick headstock and they still slipped. It was easy to fix. I bought an inexpensive leather punch set and made this leather washers to go between the metal and the back of the peghead. Instant perfect cure.

Could it be that the holes are too wide or that the part of the tuner that is against the back of the tuner doesn't have enough grip? I put Gotoh Deluxe friction tuners on a uke once, and the back part had small metal "zig-zags" to dent and fasten into the wood. This one looks from the picture as if it's completely smooth, which I suppose could cause the tuner to slip?
What size ukulele are you putting them on btw? Some friction tuners seem not to be strong enough to withstand the string tension on bigger ukes.

yap, I've seen that Gotoh Deluxe friction got small "zig-zags", and mine looks really smooth might cause that problem I think.
Also, I've thought what if it might be the string tension issue...I installed them on a concert.

I have those on a thick headstock and they still slipped. It was easy to fix. I bought an inexpensive leather punch set and made this leather washers to go between the metal and the back of the peghead. Instant perfect cure.

Maybe it's good idea to have leather washers between the metal and the peghead to make some REAL FRICTION to solve this problem.

Any chance your strings are stretching and it isn't the tuners?

Any chance your strings are stretching and it isn't the tuners?

I think stretching is what I really see why it didn't work, just can't figue it out whether friction tuner can hold the high string tension if I install them on bigger-sized uke...?

what if my strings are stretching....? Any solution??

Last edited:
If you fitted new strings they will stretch initially but will settle in time. Should start to settle in a day or so but may take a week or so to fully stabilise.

I think stretching is what I really see why it didn't work, just can't figue it out whether friction tuner can hold the high string tension if I install them on bigger-sized uke...?

what if my strings are stretching....? Any solution??

Yes, keep tuning. To speed up the process you can stretch the string by pulling on it GENTLY. Hook your index finger under each string and gently pull up while moving your finger slowly toward the nut, then back toward the bridge. Use enough pressure to stretch the string, but not enough to be straining your ukulele. Stretch each string several times, then tune. It should help speed up the process of the strings stretching and settling in.

Top Bottom