Sheet Music to Ukulele Tab Transcription Cheat Sheet?

CT Jeromy

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the uke and can't seem to put it down. I've got a bunch of ukulele books including the Daily ukulele and The Big Easy Ukulele Tab Songbook. Most of these books just have the chords to songs and maybe a little tab. I am more interested in playing the melody in songs than just the chords, probably because I don't sing. I'm trying to transcribe some songs to tabs. I found this PDF guitar cheat sheet on this website http://www.nyrpnz.com/2012/04/sheet-music-to-guitar-tab-transcription.html
Does anyone have something like it for Ukulele? I tend to like a lot of music where I can't find tab or lessons for (Grateful Dead, Phish, Cat Stevens, etc...) and I'd really like to make my own. OR is there a website where I can copy the sheet music too and it would automatically create the tab?

Thanks,

Jeromy
New Haven, CT

Cool, many thanks!! That WAS quick!

Roberta

Thank you.

Thanks Brad! That helps a lot. Some notes are obviously the same on the ukulele. For example to play A you can pick the A open or the E string 5th fret. In some cases a second way might work better when finger picking. I could probably figure it out from what you gave me but I can't edit your document and I'm not sure where I could find a program to make my own version. Would you be able to add this as well or point me in the direction of how to make a document like yours? I know if I'm going to go through the trouble of transcribing all of these songs to Tab that I'm going to want to share them. I really hope you post this where people can find it. I think my problem was I didn't know what to call it and couldn't find it anywhere online. Trying to remember everything I can from my middle school music classes.

Thanks again,

Jeromy

No kidding

Cool, many thanks!! That WAS quick!

Roberta

No kidding.
I think it took longer for me to type my question. Appreciated as I spent hours last night trying to do it and kept getting hung up.

Wait that can't be???

Ok that can't be right. Unless I'm really confused. How can the open G be a lower note than open C etc...?

uhuh

Because it says it's for "Low G". :p

Ok I certainly missed that. I've never tuned it to low G. How would it change the scale if I kept it at standard tuning? I apologize to everyone for the confusion. It's been a long time since I read music.

With reentrant tuning your lowest note is gonna be middle C. (The 3rd string.) The open G string starts with the G above middle C and goes up the scale from there.

Here's one with high g and alternate fingerings: http://liveukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/Chromatic-Scale-alt-fingerings.pdf. It doesn't have everything, but I think it would get pretty hard to look at if I put it all in there. You should be able to figure it out for the high g, but rarely will you need those high notes on that string.

I used Guitar Pro 6 to make that. It's really cool for a relatively cheap program ($60). I've been using Powertab for so long that I didn't know what I was missing.

Last edited:
Guitar pro

Here's one with high g and alternate fingerings: http://liveukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/Chromatic-Scale-alt-fingerings.pdf. It doesn't have everything, but I think it would get pretty hard to look at if I put it all in there. You should be able to figure it out for the high g, but rarely will you need those high notes on that string.

I used Guitar Pro 6 to make that. It's really cool for a relatively cheap program ($60). I've been using Powertab for so long that I didn't know what I was missing.

So I actually downloaded Powertab last night and began playing with it. I found the directions on your site. What I don't like about it is that you have to put in the tab and then the notes come up. With Guitar pro can you put in the notes and the tab shows up? Also can you add lyrics?

Thanks again you have been a big help.

Jeromy

Thanks for that high g and alternate fingerings pdf, Hippie Guy. I've printed off both for the stack of papers I like to keep close at hand.

Just wondering, is there an mp3-to-chord recognition element to Guitar Pro? I know there are several apps out there that do that but I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a good, somewhat affordable, program for that that runs on a pc.

@CT Jeromy I just tried and you CAN add just notes, but it didn't make sense to me how it worked. It might still be related to tab. Yes, you can do lyrics. It looks like it is super easy to add, but I haven't really worked with it yet.

@TG&Y I don't think that it does. If it is a supported feature it would most likely use MIDI which would be a pain for an 'ukulele. Sibelius looks like it has a great recognition section that would work just from somebody playing into a mic. But the cheap version doesn't really support 'ukulele and was a bit over my head, layout wise.

Thanks Hippie Guy!

@CT Jeromy I just tried and you CAN add just notes, but it didn't make sense to me how it worked. It might still be related to tab. Yes, you can do lyrics. It looks like it is super easy to add, but I haven't really worked with it yet.

@TG&Y I don't think that it does. If it is a supported feature it would most likely use MIDI which would be a pain for an 'ukulele. Sibelius looks like it has a great recognition section that would work just from somebody playing into a mic. But the cheap version doesn't really support 'ukulele and was a bit over my head, layout wise.

So I just purchased GuitarPro. I'm really looking fwd to getting a bunch of this music tabbed out. When I finish something I'll send it your way. Any advice, tips, tricks I should know about the program?

Jeromy

Top Bottom