How am I Doing?

Kyle23

Reaction score
So I've been playing for about 2 weeks and I've been trying to learn new songs every day and I just learned a new one and I need some opinions of how I'm doing so far and if my uke sounds normal. I just learned Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid (the video is titled mystery because I'm trying to have friends guess what it is). I messed up a few times, but not too bad.

So does my uke sound normal? And how am I doing so far? Would really appreciate some opinions. Thanks!

Very good! I like your Luna. :)

That's awesome! I'm thinking about getting a Luna Honu Soprano too. Only about $70.

I love this song. Fun video! I think you are doing great.

Last edited:
I think you've eclipsed my 2 months worth of work in 2 weeks! :D

Great job!

Now, the next challenge is to try to look like you're not concentrating so hard and smile more...I haven't figured out how to do that either. When I play, I look like I'm trying to solve quantum mechanics .:confused:

I love this sun. Fun video! I think you are doing great.

Thank you. I think you were the one who told me to make videos to keep track of progress when I first joined here!

I think you've eclipsed my 2 months worth of work in 2 weeks! :D

Great job!

Now, the next challenge is to try to look like you're not concentrating so hard and smile more...I haven't figured out how to do that either. When I play, I look like I'm trying to solve quantum mechanics .:confused:

Hahaha I knew someone was going to say that. I look very mad, but I'm trying so hard not to mess up. If you ever learn how to do it, please teach me lol.

I think you're sounding really good. :)

But I can't help but cringe at seeing your LH thumb sticking up like that. When you rest the uke in the crook between your index and thumb, your fretting fingers don't have the same optimal movement they would if you kept the thumb to the back of the neck instead.

I've seen a lot of people play that way, so whatever floats your boat. It goes entirely against the grain of my classical guitar training, though.

How does the thumb sit when it's behind the neck? I can' figure out how to position it to make it comfortable.

Right now you're still watching your fretboard. When you get more confident about where your fingers are going, you won't need to watch anymore. Then you will be more comfortable with "rolling" the top of your uke away from your body a bit. This will also correct your wrist position on your fretting hand. (I have tendonitis so I have to be very conscious of wrist angle, etc.)

As beginners we like the neck to feel stable. As you become more competent and confident you will become okay with the neck moving around a bit because you will know you aren't going to miss your chord or drop your uke.

JMO

Looking Good

Wow, only two weeks. You sound much better than I was/do. Impressive progress.

Awesome playing for only 2 weeks!

Appreciate it guys. I've put in a lot of time/work in over these Couple weeks so it's nice to hear that it's paying off.

Wow

V impressed. I've had ukulele for 3 days and excited I can sorta play 3 notes :). Must keep practicing lol

thumb placemant

I agree with the post about your thumb. A good way to figure out how to place your thumb is to pretend you are pinching the neck of the uke with your thumb and your index finger, with your thumb being on the back of the neck. The palm of your hand should not be touching the neck at all. With your thumb sticking up like that, you are cradling the neck in the palm of you hand. You will find that you are able to reach way further for some more complicated chords with your palm away from the neck. Check out some youtube videos and see what I mean about the thumb placement. You are alot more secure about showing your playing than me. I've been playing for 2 years, and I'm too shy to let everyone see me play. I'm working on it though so do stay tuned. You're doing fine. Practice every day.

Appreciate the help, I'll try it out. And I find it very hard to play in front of other people in real life. I've done it 3 times and it's stressful for me haha, but youtube is another story. And I'll stay tuned for sure, looking forward to it.

Top Bottom