Swivel vise jaws - mechanical advantage?

tobinsuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
So I recently picked up a parrot vise (sweet!) and the cork lined jaws to go with it. Now I am wondering...

In researching the vise on this forum prior to buying it I ran across a picture of the inserts that Timbuck made for his. If I am not mistaken, only one of his pair had an angle on the backside for swiveling. The shop fox inserts both swivel. Is there a mechanical advantage to one set-up over the other?

It makes sense that it was easier for Timbuck to only angle one of the inserts he made, and also for a manufacturer to only produce angled inserts - if the set-ups work equally well. And yet I can't help but wonder if one arrangement is superior to the other.

Any thoughts? Mr. Timms?

Thanks.
Tobin Crooks

Depending on the amount of angle on the back of the inserts you may get more adjustment out of two, rather than just one.

In the collection of 8 different vises I have around the shop, the parrot vise with those 2 cork lined alloy inserts is in the mix. In the real world use I have for that vise I have never found I needed anywhere near the amount of clamping angle that those inserts would allow.

Your milage may vary.

Here is the link to the thread I started http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?55284-More-Parrot-Stuff&highlight=parrot+vice

I just had a look at frets .com and I could only see the front vise jaw modified.:confused:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/ProductReviews/Tools/ParrotVise/parrotvise.html
parrotvise17.jpg

Last edited:
If you had both vice jaws modified to be radiused then the clamping of the vice would only be on two points, one either side. Now if the uke were knocked then those two points may move.
With only one jaw modified then the clamping if full length one side, and one point on the other, allowing for the taper of the neck to be clamped whilst not allowing for the neck to swivel when knocked.
If that makes any sense!
h

Hey, thanks for the replies. Looks like (as with so much else) there is a balance to be struck between pros and cons - in this case perhaps adjustability vs. stability. Interesting.

The inserts I ordered are what they are - I was mostly curious and hoping to learn something (and I think I did) more than anything else. Although after Hms's reply, I will definitely be more mindful of the stability of the workpiece in the vise. If I feel nervous about it, it should be very simple to make a flat insert to replace one of the "stock" swivels.

Thanks again to all.
Tobin Crooks

... Although after Hms's reply, I will definitely be more mindful of the stability of the workpiece in the vise. If I feel nervous about it..,

Just to clarify I'm not a luthier, so my remarks were coming as an lapsed engineer!
h

Top Bottom