2 or 3 digit finger picking

Asinc

Reaction score
I just started trying to learn to play and I have seen it recommended that I use only the index and middle finger for plucking the strings. I have been using my index, middle and ring finger on the c, e, and a strings respectively. Is this bad form? Should I switch to only two fingers? I know that sometimes people develop bad habits when starting out and want to avoid that.

Many strumming and picking patterns requiring a different number of fingers. Watch Kimo Hussey on Tube and see what he does with 2 fingers. First thing Del Rey teaches on her DVD Blue Ukes is her 3 finger picking style. Don't limit yourself to one style. I started with thumb and forefinger, than added fingers as my skill progressed. For me, it works to start with a simple technique and progress on to a more complicated one.

Many strumming and picking patterns requiring a different number of fingers. Watch Kimo Hussey on Tube and see what he does with 2 fingers. First thing Del Rey teaches on her DVD Blue Ukes is her 3 finger picking style. Don't limit yourself to one style. I started with thumb and forefinger, than added fingers as my skill progressed. For me, it works to start with a simple technique and progress on to a more complicated one.
Yep. This.

I just started trying to learn to play and I have seen it recommended that I use only the index and middle finger for plucking the strings. I have been using my index, middle and ring finger on the c, e, and a strings respectively. Is this bad form? Should I switch to only two fingers? I know that sometimes people develop bad habits when starting out and want to avoid that.

Its not bad form. You just have do develop your style. You've left out the thumb though. The thumb is important.

I use thumb, middle and ring. Many use thumb, index and middle. Using thumb and index is common.

Anthony

I just started trying to learn to play and I have seen it recommended that I use only the index and middle finger for plucking the strings.
Says who?

As others have mentioned, many have their own style and whatever works for them is good in my book.

I come from a background in classical guitar where you're taught to use the thumb, index, middle and ring fingers. It gives a lot of flexibility in your picking.

Do whatever works for you, but as someone mentioned you really do want to get the thumb involved. Depending on what I'm doing I'll use thumb, thumb and index, or thumb, index and middle. I've never gotten the hang of using three fingers and thumb even though I suspect it's probably the "best" for a lot of situations.

John

Top Bottom