New uke day! Mainland mango soprano

Mattyukaholic

Reaction score
Newbie here. Hello all! I thought I'd chip in with my first proper post.

I got a new ukulele today. I'm just starting out really, graduated from guitar. :D It is a mango soprano from Mainland.

I have the Mainland red cedar concert direct from Mike and love it, but wanted to see if the mango was more mellow. The sound is really nice. I'm not very good at describing sounds but it has a smaller old fashioned uke sound - quite quiet and trebly. I don't mean that as a negative thing, I really love it. It sounds so different from the concert. I now have three ukes with different sounds that I love - an Islander mahogany with a soft mellow sound, the cedar concert with a loud and jangly sound and this one with a quieter more traditional plinky sound.

One thing I have to say is this uke is BEAUTIFUL!!! The grain of the mango looks really pretty and it is the colour of sunshine. I'm not sure if you can tell by the photos but it the grain almost sparkles. It's definitely the prettiest ukulele I own!

The action is nice and low and the intonation is really good up the neck. It is really nicely set up. I wouldn't expect anything less from Mainland.

Incidentally for UK UUers, I got this from Eagle Music. They're UK dealers for Mainland. I'd recommend them - decent prices, excellent service and quick delivery. It was a shame not to be able to specify certain things like tuners, but it was well set up and I'm happy with it.

Here are some photos:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Congratulations! I've got one of those in satin finish instead of gloss and I love it. The Aquila strings that came on it weren't bad, but when those wear out try some Ko'Olau golds - they really complement this uke - making it very sweet. (Be advised, though, the Ko'Olau have a nasty habit of going about 5 cents sharp as you play for the first few minutes after tuning - still, they sound so good on this particular uke that I put up with the inconvenience.)

I like fluorocarbon strings on many of my ukes but on my mango soprano they were a bit on the bright side - very chimey but bordering on brittle.

John

Congrats! It's a beautiful uke! Actually, I'm thinking about getting a Mainland red cedar sop or Ohana sk-38, both of them are impressive after i read many of their positive reviews...Having fun strumming!!

Congrats, I have the same combo, but reversed-- a red cedar soprano and a mango concert. Love 'em both, living proof that great sounding ukes do not have to cost a bundle.

That Mainland Mango is very pretty. I bet it has a nice mellow sound as well.

You guys are really whipsawing my UAS between Mainland and Ohana today! :)

That is a really good looking uke. I am considering a Mainland, but am saving up for my Bradford Donaldson uke first. I was originally planning on having Mr. Donaldson build me a concert, then I'd purchase a Mainland soprano, but since soprano is my favorite size, I might do the reverse. All these decisions...

Anyhow, enjoy your uke. She's a beaut.

Dan

Congrats! I'm thrilled with mine also. I would not describe it as mellow at all, more like clear, loud, thin~ wonderful! I wasn't happy with the Aquilas, so I restrung the Mango with whatever shows below. (I can't keep all my ukes and strings straight, so I put them in my signature to help me remember!)

Beautiful instrument. Would love to hear it. Congrats.

Thanks everyone. John - I've just ordered some Ko'olau golds. Just got to work out how to put them on! :) Any recommendations for strings for my red cedar concert? The aquilas are quite too chimey at times.

Thanks everyone. John - I've just ordered some Ko'olau golds. Just got to work out how to put them on! :) Any recommendations for strings for my red cedar concert? The aquilas are quite too chimey at times.

I've only had one red cedar - a tenor - and it just didn't float my boat - I never did find strings I really liked on it and finally gave it to my son-in-law. There was nothing at all wrong with the uke (it was crazy loud and had great sustain) it just wasn't my cup 'o' tea tonally. So, I'm not a good person to recommend strings for that one. Wow - we just found something the opinionator doesn't have an opinion on, this may be a first! :)

I keep thinking about trying a red cedar soprano just because everybody raves about them so but thus far I have restrained myself. :)

John

Aloha Matty,
Congrats on your new Mainland Mango....I too am sold on mainlands for the price and what you get....(sound and playability)
Oh no golds...ha ha ...I feel the Ko'olau Alohis tame alot of ukes down with sweetness...I love them way more than the golds...well that's my preference...
yes sometimes the size of uke affects the the different types woods....the same wood may react different or just the build itself..you know all ukes have their own voices, but mainlands are
quite consistant on that..

Uh oh. Now I might have to try those too - although they seem quite hard to get hold of in the UK. Can I ask one more silly question as a newbie? How often should I change strings? Do they go dull after a few months or so? Thanks for all your help guys.

Top Bottom