anuenue 1879 stock strings or aquila nylgut

Status
Not open for further replies.

shandyman

Reaction score
have just recieved this anuenue today. it's lovely, but am wondering whether to change the black strings to aquila nylgut. can anyone out there give me advice please. am a brand new member, so please bear with me. thanks.

Do you like the sound with the stock strings ? If so, why change them ? If not, change them - but I would use either Martin M 600 or Worth CD. D'Addario Nyltech EJ88S have similarities to Aquilas but not as brilliant. You might like those
but sound is a personal taste so try different options if you like to experiment.

I have Martin M600s on mine. They sound great. A cheap laminate uke might sound better with Aquila strings but not this nice solid Koa ukulele. I bought it used with Aquilas on it but it sounds nicer with the Martins.

To my ears, having played a couple of these - the thought of aquilas on that sweet solid koa makes me shudder.

I'm no fan of aquilas except on beginner instruments. I find on solid woods they are overpowering and can make the uke boom rather than sing.

Just my two cents.

I have one of those wonderful ukes and the stock strings are Orcas (or at least they used to be) which are very good quality for solid ukes, vintage or new. You'll find that tastes in uke strings are very personal. Some folks like Martin M600's and hate Fremont blacks and I have the opposite tastes. I haven't used Ken's new living water strings, but have tried quite a few brands on vintage and new koa and mahogany ukes and I prefer three brands, Fremont Blacks (medium), Worth Browns, and the Orcas that are on that ANueNue. I'm surprised there isn't more buzz about these ukes and on occasion they can be picked up used for great prices (saw one for $400). They are a fantastic and under-appreciated uke although I suspect many folks are scared off by the high price. Hmmm, not trying to hijack your thread, just thought that you might like more information, if you didn't already know it. cheers, g2

I have Martin M600s on mine. They sound great. A cheap laminate uke might sound better with Aquila strings but not this nice solid Koa ukulele. I bought it used with Aquilas on it but it sounds nicer with the Martins.

thank you all for your advice, very much appreciated. have never posted a thread before yesterday, but what a way to get info from you wise people. am going to try flouro carbon strings and put the aquilas on my laminate ukes. asked the question as this is my first solid uke. many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom