what is the best finish for a uke/banjolele neck?

banjolelebsi

Reaction score
Hi
I have made my best neck to date and want to give it a great finish. I have sanded it through various grades of paper finishing at 150 grit.

What is the best product to use to get a nice glossy finish?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hi Simon,
If your last grit is 150, it is not enough.
I personally do 100, 180, 220, 320, and the last grit is 400.

Best,
JC

thanks for the v quick reply. i will sand more before i finish. What do you finish your ukes with?oil, polyurethane etc?
cheers
Simon

Brian Griffin from Griffin ukeuleles does a French Polish on his I believe. You could always email him as he loves to discuss ukes and making them.

I don't build them or finish them but I like spirit varnish the best when I play.

If you're going to do a sprayed finish, don't sand past 220 if you want the finish to stick. High grits are fine with oil finishes.

If you're going to do a sprayed finish, don't sand past 220 if you want the finish to stick. High grits are fine with oil finishes.

Just when I think this forum has gone off the rails, a useful nugget of information like this comes up. Thanks, Rick.

Do you think that he should also grain raise between the final sandings? I have been wiping down the wood with a damp cloth between sanding and then letting the wood dry before going to the next grit.

It really depends on which finish you can apply well.
I'll second Aaron's Tru-Oil suggestion. Its a great feeling finish and the only equipment you need is some rags.

thanks for all the info guys.

i think i will get me some Truoil.

It seems easy to use and gives a shiney,maybe not high gloss,but a good finish.

Can i buff the truoil finish to make it shinier?

regards

Simon

Tru-Oil will shine as brightly as any other finish. But you have to sand it flat first (without going through) with a fine grit, then buff it back to a shine. Most people don't get that what you do to a finish once its on is more important than how you got it there. Or even what type it might be.

thanks for all the info guys.

i think i will get me some Truoil.

It seems easy to use and gives a shiney,maybe not high gloss,but a good finish.

Can i buff the truoil finish to make it shinier?

regards

Simon

I've seen it buffed to a high gloss, haven't tried it. It comes out between gloss and satin naturally.
I think you have to wait a few weeks to let it fully harden up before buffing. That's the only downside to tru-oil I can see....its slow.

Top Bottom