scale length

Les Corley

Reaction score
My tenor fretboard is exactly 8 1/2" to the 12 th fret, what is the length to the saddle.

I thought the same thing but stew macs tenor kit says to set the saddle at 17 3/32 & from the nut to the 12 th fret is exactly 8 1/2"

I thought the same thing but stew macs tenor kit says to set the saddle at 17 3/32 & from the nut to the 12 th fret is exactly 8 1/2"

They are giving you that dimension because they are adding the compensation. 17" is the scale length, the 17 3/32" is that scale length with the compensation. Do it.

Yes, just do it. All will be come clear eventually. If lutherie didn't seem mysterious at times (especially in the beginning) it wouldn't be so much fun.

Incidentally guys, excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the bridge and the saddle? Is the bridge the piece of bone over which the strings pass and the saddle the housing for it?

Incidentally guys, excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the bridge and the saddle? Is the bridge the piece of bone over which the strings pass and the saddle the housing for it?

Other way around. The bridge is the larger piece glued to the top and the saddle is the thin piece sitting in the bridge.

Anthony

Take care. Scale length should be nut to 12th fret x 2 + compensation.

3/32" compensation? Sounds a bit much to me. Someone else here has been complaining that the intonation on their Fender uke was all flat and the saddle compensation on that instrument was something like 3/32".

Importantly, how thick is the saddle and where do you measure to. Also, do you want a low action or a high action?

You should measure to the leading edge of the saddle, i.e., closest to the nut. The skinniest strings (highest pitch) need less compensation and thicker strings need more compensation. An E string with a very low action needs VERY little compensation. 3/32" would be way too much. If the saddle is 3mm thick(sorry for changing units) then you could get away with placing the leading edge of the saddle at the nominal scale length and let the thickness of the saddle fall long. If the saddle is only 2mm thick you would probably want to set it 1mm longer than the nominal scale length.

Higher action then more compensation. Strings would have an impact. Do you have another tenor instrument to measure and take intonation measurements?

EDIT: Something important. Its a razors edge. Not enough compensation and your intonation goes sharp. Too much compensation and your intonation goes flat. There will be variation amongst the strings which can be handled by filling the saddle (some short, some long).

Anthony

Last edited:
Compensation is dependent on the desired action height and to some extent, the type of strings used. 3/32" may or may not be correct but it's a good place to start. Its also a good idea to have a saddle with adequate thickness so that adjustment on the saddle itself is possible.

Last edited:
I've built mandolins but they have a floating bridge so you do'nt have to worry about compensation,thanks for the words of confidense

Last edited:
Compensation is dependent on the desired action height and to some extent, the type of strings used. 3/32" may or may not be correct but it's a good place to start. Its also a good idea to have a saddle with adequate thickness so that adjustment on the saddle itself is possible.

This I agree with so the question here is, is a MINIMUM of 3/32" compensation correct? My experience is that an E string set low needs less compensation than this. This is why I wouldn't be setting the leading edge of the saddle with 3/32" compensation.

Anthony

Last edited:
scale length +
*ABOUT*
Tenor- 2mm compensation
Concert- 3mm compensation
Soprano- 4mm compensation

TO BREAK ANGLE OF SADDLE
(Not that the break angle is NOT the same as the front of the bridge or saddle slot, although physically it CAN be if you design it that way- ie your break angle can be at the front leading edge of your saddle)- Have i just confused you??? ;(

Like Chuck said, string brand and action height play a part in it all. Aim for strings to be around .090" from top of 12th fret (the fret itself) to the bottom of the string at 12th fret.

Top Bottom