More Baritone Tone - Luna Zebrawood

lambchop

Reaction score
Those looking for a baritone but don't want to hunt down a vintage Harmony, the Luna Zebrawood baritone has a pretty good tone, wonderful neck and action and is very pretty and pretty cheap. I got mine used for $179 at Guitar Center. I strung this hi-D using my now traditional two sets of D'Addario Pro Arte nylons.

The sample song was one I wrote on the 1965 Harmony I had for a minute before I took it back to GC (just did not have the tone or character of the 50s models) so I call it "Harmony 65." Oh, and this Luna comes with a pretty cheap pickup system in it but I played it through my Fishman Loudbox Mini the other day and was really impressed - very, very good for a cheap undersaddle system. This is just recorded live to my iphone, no amp, but it's nice to have a balanced sounding pickup if you want to play out.

If you like it, like the video and subscribe to my channel. Thanks

Nice song and nice playing. It looks like a pretty thin neck front to back, is that a correct description?

Oh, and can you explain your string set a little more? High d sounds intriguing.

Thanks!

Nice song and nice playing. It looks like a pretty thin neck front to back, is that a correct description?

Oh, and can you explain your string set a little more? High d sounds intriguing.

Thanks!
Thanks. Very thin neck and also wider, which I like. I use a high e for the d and a high e from another set for the actual high e then just put the g and b in their usual place.

Thanks. Very thin neck and also wider, which I like. I use a high e for the d and a high e from another set for the actual high e then just put the g and b in their usual place.

You know you can buy individual strings from many of the string retailers, right?

John

I'm actually kinda glad no one has offered to buy it. Been playing it last night. My only issue is that, like you said, if only the tone was a bit moe resonant on the high end. I guess we are pushing the capabilities of a laminate instrument.

I originally had Worth clear re-entrant dgbe baritone strings (all non wound) which worked well. Currently i have Ko'olau Alohi baritones, which are awesome strings too. Firm tension, mellow tone

If you want re-entrant DGBE with no wound strings, Worth have a fluorocarbon set for just that

about pickup system

Oh, and this Luna comes with a pretty cheap pickup system in it but I played it through my Fishman Loudbox Mini the other day and was really impressed - very, very good for a cheap undersaddle system. This is just recorded live to my iphone, no amp, but it's nice to have a balanced sounding pickup if you want to play out.

Does the pickup have that issue that many cheap pickups have, where it picks up "body noise" (ie the sound of your fingers on the neck, sound of the instrument moving against your shirt, etc.) more than it picks up the music?

Top Bottom